The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-19-2018, 03:55 PM   #4971
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Press got a reveal today. They are embargoed from discussing it publicly until Wednesday.
Interesting...
Old 03-19-2018, 04:00 PM   #4972
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Press got a reveal today. They are embargoed from discussing it publicly until Wednesday.
Wow, must be a big deal.

Does it have between 7-9 cylinders, arranged at roughly a right angle from each other?
Old 03-19-2018, 04:08 PM   #4973
FenwickHockey65

The only rumored powertrain yet to be confirmed is a 2.7L I-4 supposedly going into the T1XX trucks/SUVs, so...
Old 03-19-2018, 04:34 PM   #4974
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Rulez is rulez

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #4975
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Wow, must be a big deal.

Does it have between 7-9 cylinders, arranged at roughly a right angle from each other?
I thought it was supposed to be a 'revolutionary' engine? A V8 in a full size pickup is anything but.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
The only rumored powertrain yet to be confirmed is a 2.7L I-4 supposedly going into the T1XX trucks/SUVs, so...
Could be.

I'd give that higher odds than my idea that its an opposed piston engine.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:00 PM   #4976
FenwickHockey65

Hilariously enough there's rumors that the 2.7L IS an opposed piston engine.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:07 AM   #4977
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Hilariously enough there's rumors that the 2.7L IS an opposed piston engine.
The Archates design?

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #4978
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
The Archates design?
Achates is the only "market ready" opposed piston system in play. I had not heard any rumors of a 2.7L opposed piston engine. On one hand, I've been away for almost a year now. On the other hand one year on the engine development clock is a very short time.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 03-20-2018, 10:19 AM   #4979
FenwickHockey65

There's some credibility to the rumor, Achates's design is a 2.7L and that NA engine production forecast a few months ago predicted a 2.7L, Achates was targeting a late 2018 launch for the engine coinciding with SORP for the T1XX trucks (and I believe they said they already had a manufacturer application for it), and it's certainly a ground-breaking engine which GM would want to make a big deal about. If it was just another turbocharged 4 cylinder, I don't see why they would do a press reveal yesterday and embargo any information until tomorrow.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow. Someone on another site who claims to be involved with powertrain development also confirmed there would be a 2.7L engine, but we know how that can go.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:34 AM   #4980
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
i watched a few videos on that engine and its interesting. kind of neat how its all packaged, but curious to see it perform for real
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:27 AM   #4981
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
There's some credibility to the rumor, Achates's design is a 2.7L and that NA engine production forecast a few months ago predicted a 2.7L, Achates was targeting a late 2018 launch for the engine coinciding with SORP for the T1XX trucks (and I believe they said they already had a manufacturer application for it), and it's certainly a ground-breaking engine which GM would want to make a big deal about. If it was just another turbocharged 4 cylinder, I don't see why they would do a press reveal yesterday and embargo any information until tomorrow.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow. Someone on another site who claims to be involved with powertrain development also confirmed there would be a 2.7L engine, but we know how that can go.
On top of that, Achates has said that they've got a major OEM partner and they showcased their engine in a pickup truck earlier this year.

Things dovetail very nicely, but would GM be that bold?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 03-20-2018, 11:33 AM   #4982
FenwickHockey65

Two things though, the Achates design is a 3 cylinder and the T1XX 2.7L is supposed to be an I-4. Also Achates showcased it's engine in an F-150.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:21 PM   #4983
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Two things though, the Achates design is a 3 cylinder and the T1XX 2.7L is supposed to be an I-4. Also Achates showcased it's engine in an F-150.
Fan theories rarely fit perfectly ...

But on the other hand, its not hard to imagine that the rumours of it being a 4 cylinder come from people hearing its size & assuming it'd be a 4 or something.

As for the F150, I think that truck was pretty much just the engine installed in the truck. I don't think it was a functioning prototype. Could be wrong on that though. If it was basically just an engine sitting in the bay, it could have been any truck & served its purpose just as well.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 03-20-2018, 12:45 PM   #4984
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Fan theories rarely fit perfectly ...

But on the other hand, its not hard to imagine that the rumours of it being a 4 cylinder come from people hearing its size & assuming it'd be a 4 or something.

As for the F150, I think that truck was pretty much just the engine installed in the truck. I don't think it was a functioning prototype. Could be wrong on that though. If it was basically just an engine sitting in the bay, it could have been any truck & served its purpose just as well.
Here’s some photos of the Achates 2.7L O3 that I took right after their press conference at NAIAS. The F150 it is installed in is definitely a running vehicle. I talked to the engineer on the project after the press conference. It achieved 37 mpg in their testing.
Attached Images

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions