Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-01-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
Elanore

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Silver
Extreme Dimensions carbon fiber hood

So I bought a carbon fiber cowl style hood from Carid, will be the last time I buy something from them but I digress, and the manufacturer of the hood come to find out is Extreme Dimensions. Now I have finally gotten the hood that I ordered from Carid there appears to be a couple things that don't work or may need to be modified. I call Extreme Dimensions to get technical help...they tell me they don't have a technical department...great! So the salesman proceeds to advise me on the two issues:

1. the fitting for the strut that holds the hood open appears to be too small for the OEM strut bolt...his response...we don't recommend using the OEM strut on carbon fiber hoods. This was not stated on the product page on Carid

2. there is no latch hole on the hood so when you go to push down on the hood to fully latch it, it will not go down flush...his response...well what do you think needs to be done to make it work. There probably needs to be a hole to allow it to shut, like what is on the stock hood.

Now my question to all of you is, have any of you encountered these problems and if so what did you do? Do you have a modification that will work or did you send it back and get your money back? Of course as soon as I modify this hood I own it. I know aftermarket parts don't always fit as stock and that I understand, but if I have to rig my hood open for car shows or to work on it then that might just be a deal breaker for me on aftermarket hoods. Surely I am not the first to have these problems. Help
Old 09-01-2016, 04:08 PM   #2
Irace16

Drives: 2010 1SS RS M6
As far as the fitting for the hood strut, are you talking about the little ball stud that the prop snaps onto? If so I know you can buy just the ball stud in different sizes . Some auto parts stores carry them , also a place that sells truck caps should have them as well. As for the latch , photos would be helpful
Old 09-01-2016, 04:09 PM   #3
gr8daneh
460 RWHP 420 RWTQ

Drives: 2SS/RS - IBM LS3 M6
This is par for the course. There are many manufacturers that will expect you to fit their product to your car...right, wrong or indifferent, this is the unfortunate reality...I had to do multiple tweaks to the hood in the picture (RAM air) to get it to look right and flush with the body lines...

Last edited by gr8daneh; 09-01-2016 at 04:45 PM.
gr8daneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:11 PM   #4
camaro2ss/rs

Drives: 2ss/rs
there are many threads and people on camaro5 that has said over and over NOT TO BUY FROM Extreme Dimensions.. I GUESS YOU DID NOT TAKE THE TIME TO RESEARCH.. Hate to say this but that hood will never sit right on your car... i would cut my losses and go back to stock and pray they will let you return it good luck
camaro2ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #5
jcampos

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
My best advice to you is this, bend over and place your left hand on your left butt-cheek, then place your right hand on your right butt-cheek... pull apart and continue to let extraordinary Dimensions (or whatever they are called), continue to F*** you!

Sorry, a little dry humor there... good luck.
jcampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:25 PM   #6
Elanore

Irace16 yes that's exactly what I'm referring too. I'll have to get a couple pics. I have some but honestly they aren't that good
Old 09-01-2016, 04:29 PM   #7
Elanore

Camaro2ss/rs it wasn't noticed in the fine print who the manufacturer was until after the hood was received, had I seen that then sure I would have researched the manufacturer.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #8
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Most carbon fiber hood mfgrs don't recommend the use of the factory gas struts to hold the hood up, and instead want to sell you a carbon fiber (or other material) "stick" to hold the hood up. One of the canned reasons is the gas strut puts too much pressure on the fiberglass hood's mounting point. That's double speak for the hood is too flimsy to stand any stress. Moreover, they also recommend the use of hood pins to hold the hoods down because the fiberglass structure mounting the factory latch is not strong enough to resist the pressures generated by high speeds. That's not necessarily an indicator of poor quality, but the inherent limitations of the fiberglass structure.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:39 PM   #9
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
that sucks.my camaro is happy to be stock...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:41 PM   #10
camaro2ss/rs

Drives: 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanore View Post
Camaro2ss/rs it wasn't noticed in the fine print who the manufacturer was until after the hood was received, had I seen that then sure I would have researched the manufacturer.
why would you think carid makes the hood them self.. you have to know that most vendors that sell parts get them from the manufacturerare then ship them to you... over 90 percent of vendors on camaro 5 work like this good luck
camaro2ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:15 AM   #11
Elanore

camaro2ss/rs I knew they did not make the hood. They had it portrayed as carbon creations making the hood...it's not until you really look in the fine print that it's extreme dimensions.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:40 AM   #12
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
sounds about normal for most carbon fiber hoods. love mine but I need to do so much work on it to get it to fit flush with the body lines of the car and I'm not ready to tackle the fiberglass work to do so. its been sitting in the garage for months! also seen stock struts shoot straight through the fiberglass on hoods before bc too much stress. youre stuck OP. gona have to get someone to help work on fitment and get an after market strut OR have a decorative car part in the garage.
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:50 AM   #13
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Man... this sucks. Sorry to hear guys...

Don't mean to rub it in, but the Seibon was a perfect fit. I was able to reinstall the water lines and the stock hold-up strut without any issues. Everything was too good to be true after reading the horror stories others had with other manufacturers...

The Seibon didn't just have Fiberglass underneath it, it came with its own liner that didn't put anything directly underneath the fiberglass. Really well made.

1k for it tho... I did get a quality product!
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:22 AM   #14
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanore View Post
So I bought a carbon fiber cowl style hood from Carid, will be the last time I buy something from them but I digress, and the manufacturer of the hood come to find out is Extreme Dimensions. Now I have finally gotten the hood that I ordered from Carid there appears to be a couple things that don't work or may need to be modified. I call Extreme Dimensions to get technical help...they tell me they don't have a technical department...great! So the salesman proceeds to advise me on the two issues:

1. the fitting for the strut that holds the hood open appears to be too small for the OEM strut bolt...his response...we don't recommend using the OEM strut on carbon fiber hoods. This was not stated on the product page on Carid

2. there is no latch hole on the hood so when you go to push down on the hood to fully latch it, it will not go down flush...his response...well what do you think needs to be done to make it work. There probably needs to be a hole to allow it to shut, like what is on the stock hood.

Now my question to all of you is, have any of you encountered these problems and if so what did you do? Do you have a modification that will work or did you send it back and get your money back? Of course as soon as I modify this hood I own it. I know aftermarket parts don't always fit as stock and that I understand, but if I have to rig my hood open for car shows or to work on it then that might just be a deal breaker for me on aftermarket hoods. Surely I am not the first to have these problems. Help
CarID is notorious for being an atrocity to deal with. Sorry about your predicament. I hope everything works out.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote