Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-04-2015, 07:08 AM   #1
MikosV6
Account Suspended

Drives: '15 Camaro 1LS/M6
The '14+ mid cycle update lasted for only two model years...

Do you think GM sold enough cars to recoup the investment they made to do a midcycle model refresh on the 5th gen for only two model years?

The reason I'm asking is because this midcycle update lasted for only two years. When GM does a model refresh on an existing design, it usually lasts for more than just two model years. The old 4th gen '98+ refresh lasted for 5 full model years, not just two. It just seems to me that the '14+ update could've lasted longer than it did.

This leads me to believe that the 6th gen was rushed into production a year early for some reason or the midcycle refresh was not planned initially, but was done for all models when the new Z28 model was approved for the '14MY.

Any thoughts?
MikosV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:13 AM   #2
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Well, I'm sure the 2016 redesign out wasn't a surprise to them, so you have to assume that they did it with eyes wide open. But I agree.. Only two years?
The 5th gen Camaro is one of the most successful roll-outs in history.. it really put Chevy back on the map.. I'm sure they're not hurting for cash.

Corporations are funny.. sometimes they do things that make sense, but not very often.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:40 AM   #3
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Refreshes occur for all models as the look gets "stale" meaning it needs a spark, the front fachia and rear end did not take much retooling at all for plastic.... and the other upgrades are really minor. Just as the original 1st gen went in 70 1/2...etc so the fifth gen went and hey I am one of those who deliberately took a 13 to avoid the changes as did many others. Once the newer gen gets on the lots and people get sticker shock they will be scouring for one of our fifth gens..... Or buying the new car until eventually they lower the price because of the cost lowering for the parts versus investment.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:51 AM   #4
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Equinox was MCE'd for 2016, it'll be replaced by the D2XX model for 2017.

Same deal with Cruze in 2015, although the Delta-II model is still being sold as Cruze Limited.

As stated above, GM does an MCE whenever the product is starting to get stale and lose relevance. It's just a temporary shot in the arm for sales until the all new model is ready.

Also, you really can't make comparisons to what GM did in the 90s. It's irrelevant. This is a whole new ballgame in the auto industry, and the days of going years on the same model is pretty much over. For example, truck lines used to go 10+ years without a new model. The GMT-900 only lasted 7 years, and the current K2XX will only last around 5.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:15 AM   #5
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
I agree you can't compare product lifecycles to what GM did in the past. Most carmakers are getting more aggressive with their product lifecycles. At least in segments where competition is fierce a vehicle will only be around 5 years or so with a refresh after 2 or 3 years.

Sure in the 80s and 90s GM let some products languish forever, I believe that's what killed Camaro after the 4th gen. Of course vehicles without much competition like the full size van still go on for a decade or more with no real changes.

On the flip side GM made major yearly updates back in the 50s and 60s. The market is always evolving.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:19 AM   #6
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Personally I find the 2 year cycle irritating as hell.
The corporate mentality that everything constantly has to look NEW and FRESH, is frustrating and ultimately counterproductive.
All they end up doing is evolving to look like Honda Accord clones eventually.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:36 AM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Equinox was MCE'd for 2016, it'll be replaced by the D2XX model for 2017.

Same deal with Cruze in 2015, although the Delta-II model is still being sold as Cruze Limited.

As stated above, GM does an MCE whenever the product is starting to get stale and lose relevance. It's just a temporary shot in the arm for sales until the all new model is ready.

Also, you really can't make comparisons to what GM did in the 90s. It's irrelevant. This is a whole new ballgame in the auto industry, and the days of going years on the same model is pretty much over. For example, truck lines used to go 10+ years without a new model. The GMT-900 only lasted 7 years, and the current K2XX will only last around 5.
Exactly. The 6th Gen was slated to be a 2016 model for several years. It wasn't a rushed thing.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:24 AM   #8
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I think some would be surprised to know, they are already working on a refresh and next gen as we speak. When I was a tool maker in Detroit, we use to get drawings a couple years out before products were released just for the tooling.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:49 AM   #9
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
The '14 MCE was done not only to freshen up Camaros appearance but to provide an easing into the styling design of the upcoming, now available, 6th gen.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:18 AM   #10
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
A mid-cycle refresh is hogwash and has zero basis in anything other than
a) Vendor quit supplying product
b) Change in parts to increase profits during repairs
c) Someone on the design team or above trying to look important
d) Marketing a new shiny object that is the exact same as the old one
e) Increase sales for shareholders
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:30 AM   #11
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
The '14 MCE was done not only to freshen up Camaros appearance but to provide an easing into the styling design of the upcoming, now available, 6th gen.
^^^This...
I would guess that manufacturers know what they will be building a few years from now. They also probably have a general idea of the timelines for other manufacturers. For the '14 model year, sales were very good. '15 model year the sales took a hit with GM stating a 6th Gen was coming for '16 and the all new S550 was introduced.

Personally, I like having something that was only made for a couple of years.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:37 AM   #12
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
My personal conspiracy theory is they did it just to depreciate the value of the 10-14 models just a little more when the 6th gen was to come out.

Kinda was a sign they weren't planning on keeping it long when they didn't make an attempt to do anything with the front end of the ZL-1. May also be good for Z/28 owners decades from now too.

Please believe the 6th gen was already in clay model form years ago. They probably had renditions of it on computer and drawing when the 5th gen was initially released to the public. I was told by some of my friends who design cars for Honda that most design teams are working on designs anywhere from 5-7 years out from production.
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:17 AM   #13
Revrider550

Drives: 2015 1SS/RS
I guarantee they did it to give the Z/28 a fresher look. They said were launching a car that will make huge waves in the automotive industry it can't look just like every other camaro we've built for the last 3 years. And then once the tooling was created they just applied it to the other models as well.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Revrider550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:18 PM   #14
tmaleck

Drives: Replacement 2SS 'Vert 67 Cutlass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
A mid-cycle refresh is hogwash and has zero basis in anything other than
a) Vendor quit supplying product
b) Change in parts to increase profits during repairs
c) Someone on the design team or above trying to look important
d) Marketing a new shiny object that is the exact same as the old one
e) Increase sales for shareholders
Back in the 'old' days, they did a model refresh every year. Look at the 50's and 60's cars, GM especially. The main chassis tended to run on a 4 year cycle with new front end rear treatments, even sheet metal every year. The 64-67 Cutlass/Chevelle, etc. are great example. 64 and 5 share many parts, but grills, tail lights etc are one year only. 66 and 7 are totally different sheetmetal, as well as front and rear treatments.

As manufacturers got into the 70's and eighties, I was actually disappointed they started holding everything over year to year. How do you tell the difference? The shape of the AC vent duct? Without a refresh, I have no incentive to buy new, I can buy last year's model used and you can't tell the difference.

I'm one of the few(I guess) that liked the restyle on the 14's. I saw the 2010 at the time, but thought the back of the car was lame. I saw a 2014 RS and was impressed enough to eventually buy my 2015.

IMHO
Tim
tmaleck is offline   Reply With Quote