Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-16-2015, 05:53 PM   #15
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
It really sounds like a low voltage situation, no matter how unlikely it seems at this point..
I'm a manufacturing engineer and deal with automated systems every day.. Sounds like a classic relay buzz...

I hate car electrical systems.. They're so simple in concept, but in reality, they suck.

Intermittent makes it even worse... Is your charging system working?? Any auto parts store can check the system for you..

You should have about 14 volts cold and just a bit under that when running / charging.

Another thought.. Neutral safety switch, pump the clutch and make sure it's fully engaged to the floor.. If it's intermittent it can cause starting problems..
But if changing your battery "fixed" the problem for a while, I'd be looking at your alternator.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:05 PM   #16
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
You need a starter is what I would say. I had to get a starter as mine started to drag a sure sign it was to go out. I am a old hot rodder and used to having to change starters every few years. Our starters are factory gear reduction starters and have heat shield on them. I had my Local Les Schwab do mine and it was north of 200$ for a factory starter and they had to wait a week for the starter and I drove it until replaced with only a couple non starts and then restarting made it work.

Starters are susceptible to heat stroke, but also do not like being by the headers which are larger than stock exhaust radiating more heat thus the shorter life span. I have 17k miles on the car and had to do mine. That's my best guess IMO and I am a old motorhead. Changing the battery just gave you more CCA cranking amps most likely to help you limp by for a while....
Old 12-16-2015, 06:05 PM   #17
hyattjn

Drives: 2010 ss
bad ground

ground connection driver side of engine block. you are getting an intermittent ground. wait til its dark and have a friend try to turn it over you might see a spark on that ground connection

Last edited by hyattjn; 12-16-2015 at 06:16 PM.
hyattjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:39 PM   #18
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
And like I said previously when I installed my longtube headers I forgot to unplug the battery and when I was putting the dipstick tube back in it sparked on something but that was like 9 months ago and haven't had problems.
The electrical system is protected by some "fuseible link" cables and connectors at various locations to help protect the battery and electrical system if a short circuit should occur. Maybe when you shorted out putting the dipstick tube in it partially damaged one of the fuseible links. Do you have any idea what part of the electrical system you might have shorted when installing the dipstick? maybe starter or solenoid or alternator area?
A fuseible link could be partially burned through and may no longer be able to carry the full current it needs to carry, or as mentioned above a relay could have been overloaded. With only 12K miles probably is not anything major.
Ron
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:42 PM   #19
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
Bad relay for sure making that sound.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:50 PM   #20
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Similar situation here, Homeless... oddball issue and fix. I still say take it in...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226119
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:56 PM   #21
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Check your battery voltage. That is low voltage relay chatter. Either your battery is on the way out or you have a loose wire, or component related voltage drop.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:21 PM   #22
The Dutchman
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Did you check all the connections on your catch can?
The Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:30 PM   #23
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
It could be a relay but I'm thinking more along the lines of a bad ground connection.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:18 AM   #24
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
lol so many opinions don't know what to do. I checked the battery it doesn't look like anything is wrong with it and I checked the ground in front of the paseneger side header but I don't know where the others are.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:47 AM   #25
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
How did you check the battery? Voltage test and load test?
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:16 AM   #26
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
It could be many of the things suggested here. Like many have said the noise is probably a relay, but that doesn't mean the relay itself is bad. Since you are getting CELs I'd say it's a safe bet you have low voltage. Since your car is out of warranty take it to Autozone or other parts store that will do free charging system testing. The voltage may look OK, but you need to load test the battery to really know if it's good or not. If it's not the battery or alternator I would say it's a bad ground or fusible link.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:22 AM   #27
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
There are no check engine lights and the battery is pretty much brand new. I will try jump starting it today. But I will try to check other things but I need more details on what to look at
Old 12-17-2015, 11:31 AM   #28
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
I tried looking for some wiring diagrams that showed the car and where the ground points are, but came up empty... sorry man.

Electrical on cars is one of those things I will not touch beyond installing custom lighting etc. Beyond that, I'd have a shop look at it.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote