Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-03-2015, 10:38 PM   #15
homewrecker

Drives: '04 Z06, '14BMW M235i, '15 SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by splashlog48 View Post
Battery Tender Jrs on ebay in the $25 free ship range
Nowhere do they say they wont ship to Cali
I saw the review on amazon with a few people commenting that California had a special version and had to order that specific sku.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
homewrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:39 PM   #16
homewrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpsmith1 View Post
It's $22.72 on Amazon with free shipping on Prime (there's a link to a 15% off coupon there).

Just bought one!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thank you mpsmith! I'm heading to that link asap!

Old 12-03-2015, 10:57 PM   #17
homewrecker

This was what I'm talking about when it comes to California versions.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:46 AM   #18
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
At least with older cars I've had, I usually just start them up once a month or so and I rarely have battery issues. My 2014 Camaro can't seem to stay charged even with normal driving so you probably want to use a charger or even disconnect the battery.

A word of warning though, I had a battery tender fry itself and the battery on an old car of mine. I'm thankful the garage and car didn't go up in flames. Since then I don't leave chargers hooked up long term. I'll hook up a charger if the car hasn't been driven in a while, but disconnect it after it's fully charged. I just don't trust the battery tenders, all that garbage is made in China now. Good luck.

WTF California. You guys even need special battery chargers?!? I'll assume those are about as effective as the new EPA approved gas cans that always result in a gas spill because they don't work for $hit.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:58 AM   #19
Mpsmith1

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
WTF California. You guys even need special battery chargers?!? I'll assume those are about as effective as the new EPA approved gas cans that always result in a gas spill because they don't work for $hit.
Does anyone have personal experience with the CA compliant version? I ordered it and am now wondering if I should have gotten the non-compliant one.

Thanks!
Mpsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #20
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
I have the newer version and its a switched power supply rather than a transformer, saves a few watts of energy when the unit is in standby.
So far it has worked the same as the older one I have on my truck.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:17 AM   #21
Mpsmith1

Is the "newer" version the same as the CA compliant version?
Old 12-04-2015, 10:24 AM   #22
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
Battery Tender Jr was all I used last winter and it worked fine. My girlfriend used one on her car as well.
X2
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #23
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
My son and I both have let are cars sit 6 months for the last 5 years with out a battery tender & never start the car in all that time. And have never had a problem starting them in the spring. No heated garage also live in Central N.Y. Just bought new stock original batteries this year. No cheap but worth it.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:03 AM   #24
Mpsmith1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC View Post
I have the newer version and its a switched power supply rather than a transformer, saves a few watts of energy when the unit is in standby.
So far it has worked the same as the older one I have on my truck.
Exactly what I was wondering. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2015, 11:52 AM   #25
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
The one from the Amazon link pictured is the compliant one and remember you can order extension cables if you park outside and plug the tender in the garage.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #26
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike III View Post
My son and I both have let are cars sit 6 months for the last 5 years with out a battery tender & never start the car in all that time. And have never had a problem starting them in the spring. No heated garage also live in Central N.Y. Just bought new stock original batteries this year. No cheap but worth it.
I'm with you. My new Camaro always starts even after sitting weeks. My antique cars sit for months-
Just charge the battery in the Spring for a few hours and I'm good to go.
Battery tenders are just something else to sell you IMO.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #27
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
I'm with you. My new Camaro always starts even after sitting weeks. My antique cars sit for months-
Just charge the battery in the Spring for a few hours and I'm good to go.
Battery tenders are just something else to sell you IMO.

had my battery go dead after letting my car set for a short time in extreme cold, so it definitely happens, since I adopted the practice of tendering my Camaro during the winter months have had no issues, had it happen 3-4 times over two winters. I have the car parked outside so that probably is a big factor. if I had it parked inside without any wind chill it would probably make a big difference. Letting the tender keep the battery topped off versus letting it run down and effect the life of the battery, obvious no brain-er for me!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:14 PM   #28
dentnshell

Drives: Black 2014 2SS
I use C-Tek Chargers on my tractor / ATV's.... This is the brand that comes with Porsche and a few others.... It does cost more than the Battery Tender Jr. I have a couple of those as well. Both have served me well.
I like the feedback via lights on the C-Tek. I also like the connector better.
Mods: LSA Conversion 2.5" Upper Pulley, 65# injectors, GPI SS1 Cam, SP Long Tubes, ADM Race Scoop & CAI, NPP exhaust (DIY control), BMR 1" lowering springs, ZL1 Rear Differential / Axles, CF Side Strip / Hood Spear, Tint - Windows / Tails / Sidemarkers, Splash Guards, ADM Boost Gauge, ABL Dashkit, '68 Script Badges, ACS T4 Splitter, ZL1 Rockers from Gary's, Z28 Spoiler, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent, Summer - MRR FS01 Satin Black (10" Front 11" Rear) Winter, pictured-Drag DR 64's Satin Black (9" Front-10" Rear.)
dentnshell is offline   Reply With Quote