Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
rpatten

Drives: 2010 Camaro ABM 2SS/RS
Tire recommendation - 2010 SS Need your Help

I have a 2010 2SS/RSS sitting in storage that I bought in January and haven't driven yet. In order to get it out, I need the snow to go away and a new set of tires. I've been reading all of the threads here and reading reviews for the past two months and am paralyzed by the analysis :-)

I need some advice to get me over the edge and finally make a decision. If the sun ever comes out in WI, I want to be ready.

It will not be a daily driver, but I do want to be able to drive it when it's raining and in the spring/fall when the temperature is above 40.
It will never see a track and will be mostly used to run around town and make the occasional work trip
I suspect I will put less than 10k miles on per year
Good ride and less noise are at the top of the list, followed by dry then wet traction.
It will be driven by our 16 year old daughter as well, so good traction is important in case she decides to get after it
Basically, I'm looking for a good all around street tire that may see 45 degrees a few times a year.
I would like OEM sizes available so I don't have to deal with ABS or speedo calibration issues.

I think I'm down to the Nitto (Invo or Motivo) - Great recommendations here, but poor reviews on Car and Driver, or Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 but am open to others.

I know this has been asked a hundred times, I've read them all and still can't decide. I would appreciate any advice to help me decide based on how I plan to drive the car.

Thanks
Old 04-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Based on what you are describing the stock Pirelli P-Zeroes are fine.
They really hook well.
I have driven with them all winter, you just have to be careful when weather conditions are bleak, and be mindful that they are a softer compound that works better once it has warmed up a bit.
You also have to be mindful that the SS is a very powerful behemoth, and that any tire besides maybe a racing slick will spin out when you stomp on it.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
I have 20" Motivos on another car and really like them (but only have 5k miles or so). Now they probably aren't the grippiest tires, but they are rated at 60k miles and all-weather. Myself, I prefer longevity over grip. Plus they are Made in USA and not some asian cheapo tires. Also, they aren't directional... so you can rotate from side-to-side. I've been in the rain several times and they're solid and I think very quiet. If they ever make these in 21" size, these will be my next tires on my SS.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
47AJV8

Drives: A White Car
I would go for Michelin PSS. They are fairly quiet, offer a good tread wear rating (300, I believe PZeros are 220(?)) and they offer really strong dry performance, with amazing wet performance (for a ultra high performance summer tire), also Continental ExtremeContact DW might be a good choice, very predictable at the limit, strong dry performance (not as high of grip levels as the PSS) but the best wet performance out there for a summer tire, bar none.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:16 AM   #5
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
I've been doing the summer/winter changeover deal for the last five years and you can't beat full on winter tires for a Wisconsin daily driver. But, since you're not planning to DD this car...

I just ordered a second set of wheels and decided to go with a UHP A/S. My reasoning is that I want a higher wear tire for my occasional summer road trips so I don't burn up my Pirelli summers on the highway. One trip I have planned will take me through the Smokies in early November and I WILL NOT get caught out on summers, so I like the idea that the UHP A/S can deal with some snow. Since you're not going to DD in the winter, you may be able to get through with these tires. I'm tempted as I live in the city and the streets get plowed pretty quickly so I rarely have to deal with snow of any significant depth.

We are pretty limited in tire choice in the OE size. This category is limited to Contis (nearly $1000), General GMax <$700, and Firestone Firehawks in the low $600s. After reading all the surveys and tests and talking to Rudy, I decided the GMaxs were the best price/performance compromise for my needs. One added benefit, the Generals save you 24 lbs of unsprung weight vs OE Pirellis. With my Motegi 126 wheels, I'm saving a total of 54.6 lbs! That's a big deal in my book.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #6
SSpartan117

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrigdan View Post
I would go for Michelin PSS. They are fairly quiet, offer a good tread wear rating (300, I believe PZeros are 220(?)) and they offer really strong dry performance, with amazing wet performance (for a ultra high performance summer tire), also Continental ExtremeContact DW might be a good choice, very predictable at the limit, strong dry performance (not as high of grip levels as the PSS) but the best wet performance out there for a summer tire, bar none.
I agree with you. I ended up going with the Continental Extreme Contact DW (not DWS). I would have gone with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport if they were available in stock sizes as they are amazing tires!
SSpartan117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:52 PM   #7
Unrulie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Cyber Grey
I'm running the Invos. I like them much better than the Pirellis. Good in wet and dry, but still a little squirrelly with temps under 40
Old 04-03-2014, 10:26 PM   #8
The orange one

Drives: 2010 ss camaro Iom ls3 m6
I just bought some Goodyear Eagle Sports on the front .
Went with 255 45 20 on stock wheels
My stock Pirelli p zero's were making so much noise I had to replace them
So far I like the Goodyears ,I only have about 100 miles on them
I wanted an all season tire so I will feel more secure in winter
I plan on buying the rear tires next month
The orange one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #9
BronxRS

Drives: '13 2LT RS Convertible - AGM
Nitto Invos for sure. Great tire in wet and dry. Shouldn't be driving any summers with temps below 40 degrees F anyway.
BronxRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #10
Rudy@Tirerack

Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
PZero's or Super Sport's
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #11
rpatten

Drives: 2010 Camaro ABM 2SS/RS
Thanks for the recommendations and advice. I put on Nitto Motivo's yesterday and am initially pleased. They are noticeably quieter and the ride is better than the P-Zero's. It was about 33 degrees when I drove home and they felt grippy, but not rough. Seems like it was the right decision for me. Thanks Camaro5.