Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #1
47AJV8

Drives: A White Car
Will GM paint your car a custom colour?

Hi all, I know this isn't an aftermarket modification, but when ordering a new car will GM paint it to a sample? I know Porsche will do this for $5500, and was wondering if GM offered this? Really do any of the big 3 do this or is it too much of a hold up on the production line?

I tried google-ing it but nothing really came up as far as I could tell, so hopefully one of you know something about this! Thank you in advance, and thanks for having a read!
Old 05-04-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
FilibustaRhymes

Drives: SS
I've never heard of it being done. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but I would imagine if it were an option that more people would do it.
FilibustaRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:53 PM   #3
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Back in the 90s, I remember being able to order pickups in ANY color - this was to help city municipalities and companies match all their trucks.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard of this being offered much recently.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:14 AM   #4
Crazyhorse6901
Turbine Maker

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT-RS "LFX"V6
Very doubtful.
Crazyhorse6901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
I tried to get a 2013 in RGT as a custom order. Factory said no. The dealership I go to has been #1 in sales for the past 8 years. The general manager called the Camaro product manager and was still told no. He was told that amount of time to change out the stuff in the paint area would take too long and mess up production. I think they just don't want a one off production painted car.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #6
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
with enough money, im sure they will. however...it might be a lot of money! haha
Old 05-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #7
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
There is no way this would happen anymore. In the "old days" the entire car was painted in the plant, but now many parts come to the plant already painted. The plants now just paint the body. All the bolt on parts like mirrors, bumpers, door handles, spoilers, etc. are painted by the various suppliers. It would be a logistical nightmare to get all those different suppliers set up and approved for a one off color.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #8
Camarodriver2

Drives: FOR SALE! Bumblebee 1 of 1
Interesting. Instead of GM saying no, maybe they should calculate the time and cost and charge the correct $$ so they will make a profit. If a custom color is $15K then tell us that we can have what we want for $15K. Custom colors could be done at the end of the day's paint shift too - start regular colors in the morning? My .02
Camarodriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:13 AM   #9
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarodriver2 View Post
Interesting. Instead of GM saying no, maybe they should calculate the time and cost and charge the correct $$ so they will make a profit. If a custom color is $15K then tell us that we can have what we want for $15K. Custom colors could be done at the end of the day's paint shift too - start regular colors in the morning? My .02
Believe me, it would probably cost a lot more than that if GM were to make a profit. You wouldn't believe how much work goes into getting suppliers approved for specific paint colors. When you paint parts for a car in many different locations there is no room for error. The approval process is long and painful and it would cost a lot of man hours. Not to mention all the lost production at both the GM plant and at the various suppliers to run just one part in a unique color. Then what if that part gets damaged before it makes it to the plant or during assembly?

It would be cheaper just to have a finished car stripped, and painted in a custom color by a professional paint shop.

There are only a couple customers I have heard of that GM has done custom colors for in recent years, and it wasn't for just one car. The only one I can think of off hand is Mary Kay. I would love to know how much they pay for that honor. But again, it is always the same shade of pink so once suppliers and plants are approved for the color doing it again in the future isn't as costly.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom, factory, paint