Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-18-2017, 10:11 PM   #71
MB1

Drives: BMW M3
This sounds extremely similar to what a friend of mine experienced in his C7 Z06 at Road Atlanta. It was definitely a scary moment. What he thought occurred is that the electric rack components got too hot. Happened in turn 12 I believe.
MB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:52 AM   #72
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
This sounds extremely similar to what a friend of mine experienced in his C7 Z06 at Road Atlanta. It was definitely a scary moment. What he thought occurred is that the electric rack components got too hot. Happened in turn 12 I believe.

Here is what some of the Vette guys are doing to get the EPS temps down...not sure if that duct shape / size works on a Gen 6 Camaro. The duct is a rear brake cooling duct for C6 Vettes.

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=6331
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #73
S.T.A.R.

Drives: 18'-1LE
[QUOTE=DrkPhx;9583469]It has electric steering and is not hydraulically assisted.

Oh for shit sake, that electric BS. I assumed this performance cars has the usual direct link.
S.T.A.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:16 AM   #74
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
[QUOTE=S.T.A.R.;9824472]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
It has electric steering and is not hydraulically assisted.

Oh for shit sake, that electric BS. I assumed this performance cars has the usual direct link.
It's electronically assisted. There still is a mechanical linkage between the gear and column. A few upper end vehicles have steer-by-wire.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:20 AM   #75
S.T.A.R.

Drives: 18'-1LE
[QUOTE=RUQWIKR;9824505]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.T.A.R. View Post

It's electronically assisted. There still is a mechanical linkage between the gear and column. A few upper end vehicles have steer-by-wire.
Thank you, that sounds much better!
S.T.A.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:16 PM   #76
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Update on my steering situation; Dealer called back today said they found the problem, apparently the wiring harness that goes from the SCM (steering control module) to the ECM (Engine Control Module) had a short in the wire that communicates the steering status to the ECM. Whenever this would drop out the power steering motor would shut off momentarily until the signal returned, basically no power steering. I pick up the car tomorrow so hopefully I can put this to bed once and for all. Hope this helps someone else diagnose their steering issue.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:36 PM   #77
MB1

Drives: BMW M3
Good to hear that it got resolved and not an overheating issue like in Z06's used to have.
MB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:43 PM   #78
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWillys View Post
OminouSS,
Were you able to get this resolved? Did you hear anything more back from Chevy?
Ummm no. I've kind of lost faith in the manufacturer. I sometimes think that the only time a customer is taken seriously is when their lawyer is calling with an initial demand.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:40 PM   #79
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAZL1 View Post
Update on my steering situation; Dealer called back today said they found the problem, apparently the wiring harness that goes from the SCM (steering control module) to the ECM (Engine Control Module) had a short in the wire that communicates the steering status to the ECM. Whenever this would drop out the power steering motor would shut off momentarily until the signal returned, basically no power steering. I pick up the car tomorrow so hopefully I can put this to bed once and for all. Hope this helps someone else diagnose their steering issue.
Ask them for the old parts

I'd really like to see them and the root cause of the short, (burn thru, etc)
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:51 AM   #80
RC000E

Drives: 2002 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
Good to hear that it got resolved and not an overheating issue like in Z06's used to have.
Better business bureau can get that ball rolling. I know a guy who works for BBB and handles affairs with auto manufacturers...very efficient process and doesn't require out of pocket.
RC000E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:53 PM   #81
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinHead View Post

Excellent suggestion but the dealer had to send it back to GM. I would imagine they're going to have a talk with the supplier
Old 07-28-2017, 08:05 AM   #82
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
So I just had this happen to me * mildly this morning where the steering wanted to fight me and pull me straight outside of a turn I have not had luck dealing with dealers on an issues and it become impossible to show them what's going on. What recall bulletins or info should I give them as I have to spoon feed them. This is really upsetting I cant imagine being on a track and that happening .
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:49 AM   #83
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinHead View Post

Dealer will not do that, and I'd be willing to bet what they told the OP wasn't the whole story either. Dealer/GM will tell you only what you need to know and that the car is fixed.

I'm not saying that they're selling wolf tickets either, but they're likely only giving up the end result and not all of the contributing factors.

From personal experience, I have a 2015 Tahoe that the oil pump took a complete $hat one day with only 5K miles on the motor. Dealer fixed it but only told me that the oil pump was "defective". Naturally, I asked how it failed and to make sure they removed any remaining metal, etc. The Service Manager said that all he was "allowed to say" was that the pump failed and that the car was fixed. I've put 40K on it since with no issues - freakin love my Tahoe
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:54 AM   #84
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAZL1 View Post
Glad they were able to diagnose and find the root cause. Watching your video I would have been crapping my pants. Losing control at 120 at not knowing what the car is doing is f-in scary....
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
failure, rack & pinion, steering