Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-05-2016, 12:00 PM   #15
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Nobody has cracked the new ECU model yet. Once it has been cracked, there will be about 15 threads about it.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:12 PM   #16
JoeAyalaM
Account Suspended

Drives: Audi S6 V8TT, Volvos XC60 & S60R
A $199 price increase for a set of installed headers... something is off.

And I suspect a Roto Fab CAI would put out more power than the headers.
JoeAyalaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:30 AM   #17
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAyalaM View Post
...I suspect a Roto Fab CAI would put out more power than the headers.
I think you may be wrong on that one.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #18
BravoMyles

Drives: Blue/Black 2017 1SS
I'd take headers over an intake any day. Especially stock for stock, taking the S/C out of the equation. My 5th gen got almost nothing from intake outside of throttle response, headers made it a whole different car.

With the price change, especially including the headers, install, and tune, I may be looking at this route. Already wanted a supercharger, and this would be the most cost effective, especially living within an hour of ADM.

2010 2SS - Summit White - SOLD
CAI intake, Borla Atak axle-back (Summit xpipe resonator delete), custom ported TB, Texas Speed 1 7/8" LT Headers w/ Catless connections

Instagram: bravomyles
BravoMyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:50 AM   #19
47AJV8

Drives: A White Car
I kind of fail to see the point of going for the tiny 1.7L blower when the 2.3L is a lot more efficient when being spun hard and will have more head room should you ever need more power.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:18 PM   #20
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47AJV8 View Post
I kind of fail to see the point of going for the tiny 1.7L blower when the 2.3L is a lot more efficient when being spun hard and will have more head room should you ever need more power.
I don't know for sure how you figure the 2.3 is more efficient. All of these superchargers have an efficiency map but the efficiency of the blower at compressing air and its horsepower required to spin the blower are 2 different things. I don't know that anyone is actually trying to calculate the power loss of the blower but to take the two metal rotors and spin them up to 20,000 rpm even if the blower was not compressing air (it is) is going to take some horsepower to spin. The larger the rotors are the more mass there is to accelerate. The larger blowers take more horsepower to spin period. I have done a bit of experimenting with different blowers on my ZL1 and I kind of feel that the smallest blower you can run and meet your horsepower needs the more efficient your overall engine will be. I know some don't agree with this but I sold the 2.3 blowers I had on my ZL1 and went back to the 1.9 for theses reasons.

Regarding head room, the 1.7 LT4 supercharger can handle all of the power you can possibly make from a LT1 shortblock. If you change the bottom end on a LT1 then you can exceed what the 1.7 is capable of but you need new pistons and rods and even then the 2.3 is only going to give you maybe 50 to 100 more maximum horsepower. The max rpm limit on the smaller superchargers is more flexible than it is on the 2.3's. 23,000 rpm is a pretty hard ceiling on the 2.3. If you exceed 23K you better not do it for more than a couple seconds or it will get too hot. The smaller superchargers can handle short bursts to 25K or 29K much better than the 2.3 can handle overdrive.

The 1.7 LT4 supercharger is a very good little blower for the LT1 motor. If I knew this motors limits before I decided to go FI I probably would have an LT4 blower on my car right now but because I really didn't know that much about the limits of the motor, I have about 1000whp worth of turbos making a comfortable 650 whp on the stock bottom end. That's about all I feel comfortable with on pump gas.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you think you are buying a 2.3 over a 1.7 for future upgrades, you better plan a new crank, rods, pistons and cam before you will be able to see any gain from a 2.3 and if you go with a whole new forged and lower compression bottom end of the block you still are going to have about a 800whp ceiling on the 2.3. Then...you might as well go turbo or centri...so you get the full 1000whp potential of the new block....

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:29 PM   #21
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
It's pretty simple to/for me. I want more horses but I am not a rich dude. I like the idea of a longer warranty. ADM only offers a 1 year on the supercharger and 1 year on electronics. Edelbrock, Magnuson, and Whipple all offer 3 years.
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #22
PRAY

Drives: 2016 2SS
If you were planning on doing head porting anyway would you be better off just starting with a set of LT4's and not run the adapter plates? Is there a link on here somewhere denoting the differences between the two heads. I know the bolt pattern is different but what about combustion chamber size etc.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:48 PM   #23
FrostySS

Drives: 2018 Redline Edition 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoMyles View Post
My 5th gen got almost nothing from intake outside of throttle response, headers made it a whole different car.

Unfair comparison IMO. I agree, long tubes on our 5thgens woke the car up big time but the exhaust manifolds on the 6thgens flow a lot better than the 5thgen manifolds.
2018 Redline Edition 2SS- A8, NPP, MRC, Recaro seats, ECS Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, cat deletes, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts Drake Muscle Car wicker bill, Adams Polishes Ceramic Coating

2010 Infiniti G37x Sedan for the DD.
FrostySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:21 PM   #24
Blk16SS

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro
Man this is impressive.. Andy is right on the other side of town.. This is all I'm gonna do in a few months after I pay my huge income tax bill...
Blk16SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:41 PM   #25
crash0117

Drives: 2016 1SS Camaro
I'm thinking more around 900+ with a 2.3. I'm already closing on 850 and ran out of fuel with power still left to be made.
crash0117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #26
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash0117 View Post
I'm thinking more around 900+ with a 2.3. I'm already closing on 850 and ran out of fuel with power still left to be made.
I don't know if others are tracking your build but you did replace the bottom end of your block. I still find your numbers extremely impressive. People have been using 2.3 blowers for years and I know of no one that has ever made more than 850 whp on a 2.3 without spraying either methanol or nitrous to supplement the max air the supercharger can deliver. I'm not saying it can't be done but as far as I know I don't think it ever has been done. You could spray nitrous or methanol on a 1.7 and get the same results if that is what you are after.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:36 AM   #27
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I don't know for sure how you figure the 2.3 is more efficient. All of these superchargers have an efficiency map but the efficiency of the blower at compressing air and its horsepower required to spin the blower are 2 different things. I don't know that anyone is actually trying to calculate the power loss of the blower but to take the two metal rotors and spin them up to 20,000 rpm even if the blower was not compressing air (it is) is going to take some horsepower to spin. The larger the rotors are the more mass there is to accelerate. The larger blowers take more horsepower to spin period. I have done a bit of experimenting with different blowers on my ZL1 and I kind of feel that the smallest blower you can run and meet your horsepower needs the more efficient your overall engine will be. I know some don't agree with this but I sold the 2.3 blowers I had on my ZL1 and went back to the 1.9 for theses reasons.

Regarding head room, the 1.7 LT4 supercharger can handle all of the power you can possibly make from a LT1 shortblock. If you change the bottom end on a LT1 then you can exceed what the 1.7 is capable of but you need new pistons and rods and even then the 2.3 is only going to give you maybe 50 to 100 more maximum horsepower. The max rpm limit on the smaller superchargers is more flexible than it is on the 2.3's. 23,000 rpm is a pretty hard ceiling on the 2.3. If you exceed 23K you better not do it for more than a couple seconds or it will get too hot. The smaller superchargers can handle short bursts to 25K or 29K much better than the 2.3 can handle overdrive.

The 1.7 LT4 supercharger is a very good little blower for the LT1 motor. If I knew this motors limits before I decided to go FI I probably would have an LT4 blower on my car right now but because I really didn't know that much about the limits of the motor, I have about 1000whp worth of turbos making a comfortable 650 whp on the stock bottom end. That's about all I feel comfortable with on pump gas.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you think you are buying a 2.3 over a 1.7 for future upgrades, you better plan a new crank, rods, pistons and cam before you will be able to see any gain from a 2.3 and if you go with a whole new forged and lower compression bottom end of the block you still are going to have about a 800whp ceiling on the 2.3. Then...you might as well go turbo or centri...so you get the full 1000whp potential of the new block....
The 2.3 can make more power with less boost.
http://www.chevyboost.com/content.ph...pgrade-results
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:18 AM   #28
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer View Post
The 2.3 can make more power with less boost.
http://www.chevyboost.com/content.ph...pgrade-results
The article you are quoting is using a LT4 motor, not a LT1 motor. The LT4 motor has significantly less compression ratio. You can't make that much power on the LT1 unless you swap out the crank, rods, and pistons... The LT4 block is a 1000whp block.

What that article shows me is that the 1.7 can deliver 737 whp worth of air into an engine. As I said in my post you referenced, that is about all the stock LT1 motor can handle. And by the way, that is more than 100whp over a stock Z06 corvette off the showroom floor.

Plus they were using methanol on the Maggie, that makes a huge difference in temps....