Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-16-2020, 10:00 PM   #29
Okie Noggin

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
I could not get used to the camera mirror but loved the wide angle view. I realized if i just glanced at it, as I would do with the old school mirror, I had no problem with it. Looking it it too long, and I mean a couple of seconds, causes your eyes to try to refocus and it is annoying. Love that thing now.
Okie Noggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:06 PM   #30
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Con: Lean over to check that my hat is on straight and for a second think I'm a vampire.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:28 PM   #31
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
So I have had several camaros over the recent years. On my 2020, it has the rear view camera in the mirror. This seems kinda hoky. Not sure I see a lot of real use for this feature. Definitely would have traded it for the homelink GDO.
I'm one of the guys who retrofitted onto my 2016, kept the Homelink, and only lost the OnStar buttons which I only used maybe once. I used it in the beginning because it looked cool to me, but it's super beneficial personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I think the read view camera/mirror is fantastic in the 2020 2SS, if you adjust your side mirrors correctly you can COMPLETELY eliminate any blind spots...
I adjust my mirrors accordingly to eliminate blindspots and with this mirror cam I see further out then my own mirror settings, I still keep my mirrors at their settings as if I were using the mirror normally just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
+1 for me too.

Much wider field of view behind the car (both lanes left and right). Should really help on the track when needing to be mindful of the (relatively few ) cars that are faster than the 1LE.

One quick question: Was driving for the first time at night and the rearview cam image seemed to be blurry (halos around headlights). This despite the image being quite clear during the day. Is this normal or might it be due to my progressive lens glasses?
My only issue with the camera is after rain or overnight the lens of the camera will fog or have condensation on it that skews the image until either the water dries or your physically clean the lens. Not unusable but my backup camera rarely does it as often

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Screens very close to your eyes are only good until you turn 40, ask any ophthalmologist, which is another consideration. (No need for snarky responses, I didn't believe it in my 20s or even my 30s either...)

IMO autopilot tech will become the standard sooner than a complete elimination of optical rearview mirrors occurs.
Definitely believe that, watched my dad and my older brother both have issues with driving at night and with seeing on normal roads with their proper prescriptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I have heard some complaints of the mirror not looking good because of the wonky depth perception.

Don't know that myself, however. On the 19, you don't get the camera if you get the 1LE package. Retrofitting costs 2000+ dollars so no thanks.

Sent from toaster or something
If your into the waiting game, you might be able to get it for much less. I paid $501.50 for the mirror/camera/wires/harness from another member, probably around the same if you find some parts from Car-Part or local yards especially with more 2020's coming around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Noggin View Post
I could not get used to the camera mirror but loved the wide angle view. I realized if i just glanced at it, as I would do with the old school mirror, I had no problem with it. Looking it it too long, and I mean a couple of seconds, causes your eyes to try to refocus and it is annoying. Love that thing now.
The wide-angle is really nice, I like how they included the option for adjustment as well like zooming in. Your eyes not having to focus on objects is a little trippy but nothing you can't get used to imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Con: Lean over to check that my hat is on straight and for a second think I'm a vampire.

I find that I can lean up a little and see the normal mirror, but I usually just pull down the vanity.
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:42 AM   #32
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Federal standards do exist for 'minimum' requirements. Link here for NHTSA: https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...ear-visibility

Excerpt: "Currently, FMVSS No. 111 requires that all passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, buses, school buses, motorcycles be equipped with one or more rearview mirrors for rear visibility."

Mirrors don't "go bad" like cameras can, so the current "request for comments" from NHTSA will likely take into account a need for any camera-based system to fall back to reflective glass...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverDie View Post
Ok I see. Something I'd read said it was a state thing, maybe just the passenger side mirror?
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:33 AM   #33
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
Get use to it, The Federal regulation for left and right outside mirrors was dropped as a request of the OEMS who testified the rearview camera option was better and they can get better numbers of fuel economy from not having mirrors on cars.
Not yet for the US. Europe and Japan allow camearas. Some suppliers in my industry have applied for and been given exemptions. Soon though.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:46 AM   #34
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Ok I see. Something I'd read said it was a state thing, maybe just the passenger side mirror?
Yeah, there are definitely state level laws that go into a lot more detail. The federal regs are the base minimums that all states must adhere to (or risk losing their federal highway moneys). The manufacturers build to the masses, so once enough states were requiring the passenger side mirror, that became a base part of the build (much like we no longer have "CA Emissions" and "MA Emissions" and now have "50 State Emissions" on new cars).
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:58 AM   #35
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

If you think about it, theoretically, you do not even need windows on a car anymore. We could all be driving in isolated containment vessels lol
Old 12-17-2020, 07:22 AM   #36
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
If you think about it, theoretically, you do not even need windows on a car anymore. We could all be driving in isolated containment vessels lol
You're assuming that drivers use they windows they have today...
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:06 AM   #37
KenMaro

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
You're assuming that drivers use they windows they have today...
Much like the turn signal... it's there, yet so many just don't use it.
KenMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 02:06 PM   #38
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post

My only issue with the camera is after rain or overnight the lens of the camera will fog or have condensation on it that skews the image until either the water dries or your physically clean the lens. Not unusable but my backup camera rarely does it as often

If your into the waiting game, you might be able to get it for much less. I paid $501.50 for the mirror/camera/wires/harness from another member, probably around the same if you find some parts from Car-Part or local yards especially with more 2020's coming around.
You can buy some Raindex water-repellent window cleaner and apply some to the camera lens, which can help. While you are at it, apply it to the windows as well. It's great in the rain.

As for the rearview camera, I don't think I will really bother because I am a cheap bastard. With my rear seats empty 99.99% of the time, I think my current mirror does fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenMaro View Post
Much like the turn signal... it's there, yet so many just don't use it.
Wow, you must be living in a nice area where everyone around you drives a BMW.

This will never get old.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 01:03 PM   #39
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but I wear distance glasses and the mirror camera is totally blurred. Wish I could use it.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 01:49 AM   #40
Okie Noggin

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx9rmal View Post
I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but I wear distance glasses and the mirror camera is totally blurred. Wish I could use it.
I wear glasses for distance also. Aim the mirror so it is perpendicular to you. Do not leave it in the position that you would use it as a regular mirror. Any other angle and it is difficult for me to focus also. Just glance at it to use it. Looking at it too long isnt going to work well. Give yourself a couple of weeks to get used to it.
Okie Noggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:34 AM   #41
1oklahoma

Drives: chevrolet corvette
I have a 2021 LT1 with base mirror would someone please post a link to adding the TV rear view mirror. Thanks
1oklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:57 AM   #42
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oklahoma View Post
I have a 2021 LT1 with base mirror would someone please post a link to adding the TV rear view mirror. Thanks
It’s not something you can add very easily if at all. There’s an additional camera to the reverse camera that’s part of the rear spoiler on 2019 models and the satellite antenna on 2020-up models. Different factory wire harnesses in the headliner and everything.