Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 06-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
bzy-man
Lets ROK and RLL

Drives: 1967 SS/RS & 2010 2SS/RS (twins)
Turn co2 sensors off

Hey - My LT's and cats are sending me the Cats' codes and setting off my engine light. I thought a "diablo" tune would eliminate the light but it keeps coming back on.. What do I need to do to get the light to go off and stay off plus make sure my car is functioning properly even though I shut off the lights. I was misinformed about the Diablo which I thought was my answer to my situation.. My Car was dynoed' with installing the Diable.. Guess I should of researced alittle more !

Thank for your help in this matter --
Rick
bzy-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
06MonteSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Monte Carlo SS
no, you can not disable the trouble codes with the programmer... that functionality was removed a few years ago, due to EPA regulations....

you need to get a custom tune created in order to get the codes disabled...

you can "clear" the codes with the tool, but can't totally disable them from coming on again without getting a custom tune done for it.

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 06-03-2010 at 12:13 PM.
06MonteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
DSteck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
You have local solutions. P0420 and P0430 pretty much always trip on cars with long tubes because the cats don't really work like they should once they get spaced so far back from the exhaust ports.
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
Genevieve

Drives: 2SS/RS
A custom, one off, vehicle specific tune is always going to be the best option. However, this is not always an option for people, due to cost, location, or what ever situation. This is one reason why handheld's have a market. Also know that you can not turn the sensor "off." You actually tell the computer to not trigger the CEL light if the code triggers. Your sensors will still read the error, but it will not trigger the light. I also understand that it is a hard decision to choose a tuner that you trust to do the job right, but look at cars they have tuned and how they run, or if the tuner will alow you to be present while doing the job. My car was at our last meet and greet and will be out and about. Any time you wanna see how my tune is I will be more than happy to show. I used DSteck, He has a great understanding of the Gen III, IV, Motors and is willing to help. He is one of the Two I trust my car to.

just my .02
Genevieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
JR-Vette

Drives: 1999 500 HP Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzy-man View Post
Hey - My LT's and cats are sending me the Cats' codes and setting off my engine light. I thought a "diablo" tune would eliminate the light but it keeps coming back on.. What do I need to do to get the light to go off and stay off plus make sure my car is functioning properly even though I shut off the lights. I was misinformed about the Diablo which I thought was my answer to my situation.. My Car was dynoed' with installing the Diable.. Guess I should of researced alittle more !

Thank for your help in this matter --
Rick
As you title states you cannot turn rear 02s off as that would require rewriting the operating software in the PCM and that is not going to happen with "canned" or most calibration tuning tools.

What can be done via tuning is if and when a DTC trips how PCM reacts but as known with some "canned" block box products they got their tit in a ringer by EPA wacking them so they are trying to fool EPA by the box itself not turning off SMOG DTCs but have those selling the product violate EPA by they calling it a one off tune and thus have EPA wack them rather then the black box maker.

Canned tuning tools are limited in function, some worse then others but in no case does it cover all the needs of each car, it's makeup/mods or even what elevation car lives at

Worst case, first hand I installed the E-Force 1590 on a 2008 C6 with 6 speed paddle shifter.
The kit comes with a SCTuner box.

Nightmare and outcome in-depth at
http://www.teamzr1.com/ubbthreads/ub...=3408#Post3408

In short

1. box does not allow end user if choosing to flash just the PCM or TCM, it is all or nothing. Same if wanting to do a restore to only one of them

2. Dirty force flashing, it has no smarts to know if what is flashing in is valid or not.

3. After it flashes it says all is OK when in fact in this case they corrupted the TCM.

4. Support was useless as tits on a bull. We emailed them debug and flashes and were told they call us back ASAP and never did knowing the owners car now could not be driven.

5. Even when using their box to restore the PCM and TCM to the before state the TCM still was screwed up and in short cost the C6 owner about $1,000 and GM figured out the flashing screwed up even the GM operating TCM software and voided the warranty

6. if the controllers had been tuned before, the SCT assumes when it flashes that stock tunes are in thus you end up with a mixed multi tune values that do not end up with a solid tune.

Worse it took SCT 2 weeks and FIFTEEN flashes to find their mistakes which means the car was DOA and forced to sit at GM dealer all that time
This says both their support and engineering people know little about the cars they are blind flashing.

Owner was caught into a blame game, vendor who sold the kit, SCT and Edelbrock blamed the other vendor, in the end the SCT tool and it's contents, how it functions caused the owner to miss his vacation to a out of state race event, ton of money in repair costs and when all solved and with the SCT PCM and TCM tune installed we then did real world street testing, analyzed OBD data, and changed the tune to gain quite a bit of performance the SCT tune missed.

Nothing changes, the only way to assure a car is correctly custom tuned, to be able to freely change calibrations when needed is to own a tuner tool installed on a laptop AND a OBD scanner.

Now if a Professional tuner is not local all can be done within 2 hours via emails to get a true ONE OFF custom tune.
JR-Vette is offline   Reply With Quote