The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > C7 Ordering, Pricing, Order Tracking Discussions

Old 07-09-2014, 06:15 PM   #15
BoRider

Drives: Torch Red Stingray
If you lived in Texas you would know why I use the CF in summer and the glass in winter!
BoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #16
efarley

Drives: 2009 Audi S5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoRider View Post
If you lived in Texas you would know why I use the CF in summer and the glass in winter!
My question for you is this: why is the top ever on the car if you live in Texas lol

I honestly have trouble believing that adding what is essentially a sun roof will hurt resale. Regardless though I'll be leasing so my residual value will be in writing before i sign anything.
efarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:28 AM   #17
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

Drives: 2014 Corvette
Efarley...youre joking right? Why do you have the top on in Texas? My mom lives in Houston, and I live in Arkansas...something about 100 plus temp and humidity around 70% and your clothes soaked with sweat, face sweating at every light, etc..........The painted roof to me makes the car look better- in MY opinion- just looks sleeker and has more pop to the eye coming at you or from the sides- That's MY opinion...my son likes the glass roof....so to each their own
asptroopa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:50 AM   #18
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
I skipped the glass roof (it's really acrylic plastic) or those very reasons. My '02 had the transparent top and it was blistering hot inside whenever it was parked for 5 minutes in the sun. The a/c also had to work a lot harder to keep cool. I have glass tops in my '74 with the same issue.

The top is indeed blue, but from the outside looks gloss black. I looked at one just last night. It only looks blue from the inside looking out.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #19
efarley

Hmm I didn't realize it got that hot inside them, I've never really had that issue with a normal sun roof. Maybe I'll consider just getting the CF roof instead, thanks for that info.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:31 PM   #20
Dada

Drives: Z51 White on Black
Hmm too late for me, I ordered my glass roof because white car and wanted the dark top to contrast plus I like the light, if it gets too hot, will have to shelve out some money for the other roof. If I tint the glass roof further will that not look good? Sorry if stupid question, I haven't seen the roof, I bought this car without driving it or seeing it, expected tpw 7/21
Dada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #21
efarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dada View Post
Hmm too late for me, I ordered my glass roof because white car and wanted the dark top to contrast plus I like the light, if it gets too hot, will have to shelve out some money for the other roof. If I tint the glass roof further will that not look good? Sorry if stupid question, I haven't seen the roof, I bought this car without driving it or seeing it, expected tpw 7/21
No reason you couldn't tint it. I really like the look of the red car with a black roof and the CF roof is just too expensive to be of value to me, so it's lucky I live in Portland and it's overcast 9 months a year. Might be pretty warm during the summer but it's unlikely I'd have the roof on most of that time anyways.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #22
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I think the glass roof would be perfect in the northwest.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:19 AM   #23
Dada

Drives: Z51 White on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by efarley View Post
No reason you couldn't tint it. I really like the look of the red car with a black roof and the CF roof is just too expensive to be of value to me, so it's lucky I live in Portland and it's overcast 9 months a year. Might be pretty warm during the summer but it's unlikely I'd have the roof on most of that time anyways.
Yeah I got the z51 arctic white with the black machined wheels and black painted wing and black side view mirrors, so i figured having the roof clear would complete the look giving it a darker hue than the normal white roof.

Im waiting to decide if i should paint the rear windshield and side pocket glass inserts, I can't tint the front driver/passenger windows as i live in NJ
Dada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #24
99roadster

Drives: 2012 Toyota Venza
A lot of the posts are from people who ordered in 2013 but don't see many posts about orders placed in Feb - Mar timeframe and if they have there cars . Time has run out for me on ordering a 2014 so guess I'll have to order a 2015 . Anyone have any scoop on changes for '15 model . thanks John
99roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #25
terryg75

Drives: Cross flags and 3 pointed stars
My 2 cents on this roof situation: I went to order a painted roof last year for a customer that already had a clear one on his car. B the time it got shipped in, painted (they come in completely unfinished), and all the hardware added (all parts had to be individually ordered) the thing cost almost $3500. Back then you could get a clear roof from a parts dept for about $1200 of you could get hooked up. So I tell my customers now that if you may ever want a painted roof to go ahead and order it with the car because now that they're made out of CF they will probably run at least $5000 or more and the clear tops now list for $2100 so the clear one would be a little easier on the wallet down the road.
terryg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #26
terryg75

Drives: Cross flags and 3 pointed stars
I just talked to my parts manager and he priced out a painted top for me...the panel alone without paint and hardware is $3718.22. He say's by the time you add the hardware and paint it's another couple grand easy. So figure a painted roof after-the-fact will run about $6,000. Ouch.
terryg75 is offline   Reply With Quote