The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > C7 Ordering, Pricing, Order Tracking Discussions

Old 10-21-2014, 09:34 PM   #1
mendeldl

Drives: 2015 C7, 2002 Pontiac Formula
Best Discounts

I'm relatively new to this forum. I currently own a 2002 Firebird Formula that I intend to keep forever, but also am thinking very seriously about purchasing a C7 spring or early summer of 2015. In my planning I've been watching local trends on car sales and inventory, and doing research on the best deals, including reading many of the posts in this forum site.

I'm wondering from the following list of possible discounts which ones are not honored by GM, if anyone knows:

GMS pricing (both my father and step-father are GM retirees)
Military Discount - I'm retired U.S. Navy
USAA Car Buying program - I'm a Member
Navy Federal Credit Union Car buying program - again, lucky to be a member

Also, if anyone can indulge this last question, is a dealer likely to honor any discount program when ordering a factory built car, or are they more likely to only honor if for in stock cars? Thanks in advance.
mendeldl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
SR-71

Drives: 2015 Z51 Coupe 2LT Shark/red
If you check for pricing through TrueCar.com it will yield you a discount (amount varies depending on dealer), and being a USAA member will yield you an additional $200 discount. But be aware. When you submit a query to TrueCar.com you'll get bombarded with calls from dealers, nearly instantly. And some of those dealers may not even have, or have the capability to order, a C7. This happened to me. I got an email response from one dealer saying they have plenty of C7's on their lot to choose from. I drove for 2 hours to this dealership only to find out not only didn't they have C7's, but their dealership has never sold Corvettes, didn't buy the tooling to service them, and no trained C7 tech's. It turned out to be an overzealous internet sales person and when I confronted her, she admitted she didn't know what a C7 was. A total waste of an afternoon for me! So be sure to call and confirm before you drive to the responder dealerships.

Working through TrueCar.com I was able to find dealers that would offer discounts but more times than not, these dealer either had a limited number (or no) C7's in stock, or they would just offer to submit an order for me (with an unknown expected delivery date). If you go down this ordering path be sure to ask the dealer if they actually have ordering allocations.

In my case, it came down to getting a discount but having to wait to order the car I wanted, or spend a bit more and buy one off the showroom floor. I ended up finding the exact C7 I wanted on a showroom floor, for a bit under MSRP.

For cars on the showroom, you'll find that well-equipped with nice color combinations have a tendency to be bought up fairly quickly. Dealers of course know this and know if you don't buy it, the next person that walks in the door may, so they aren't as apt to provide discounts on these cars - especially during mid-year months. Reference your last question. You'll have to look hard to find a high volume C7 dealer that participates in discount programs, but for those that do participate in discount programs, they will be willing to order the car for you at their discounted price.

You will have a much better chance of getting larger discounts on less equipped C7's (1LT's, non-Z51's, left-over '14's, demo's, no Magnetic Ride Control option, etc).

One other point. Before selecting an exterior and interior color, I suggest going to a dealership that has several C7's in stock and make your color selections in person. You may find (as I did) that the colors look a bit different than the internet or brochure photo's.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Last edited by SR-71; 10-29-2014 at 05:55 PM. Reason: typo
SR-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
Road King

Drives: 2015 C7 Z51
Always research pricing before you buy. If you are a member of a credit union then chances are you can get the credit union/supplier discount. www.mygmdiscount.com

The dealers do not have to do this but it does not hurt to ask. No one in my area does so I ordered mine from another state in order to save roughly $6800.
Road King is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discounts, gms