Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-22-2007, 12:07 PM   #29
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
The HP issue sounds familiar now that you mention it. I know they 86'd the Cobra for a few years after that.
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:15 AM   #30
AF1Strider

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyGT500 View Post
Well lets see,Up until the gen4 camaros and not until 98 i might add, chevy has NEVER been on top of the sports car /muscle car wars.

80s was ford dont even try to tell me that the irocs could hang with 5.0s.
90s was ford. When svt was introduced, they never looked back.Camaros were always heavier.Hopefully they are smarter this time.The new mustang is a tank.Ford did not need a supercharger on the 93-95 lightning and was 100 ci smaller and stil competed with the 454ss and was a drivers race.Not that it matters but the lightning outhandled the 454ss by um........alot

yes chevy had the great ones here and there but they were never on top.

if you remember correctley in the 80s ford 5.0s were a much closer to the "corvette" flagship car than any z28 camaro at the strip (street cars)The z28s (irocs) were not even close to comparison for 15 years!!!!.....fact

svt cobra from 93-to current were always faster stock for stock. (street cars)I know you might say well gm didnt have a svt program but thats too bad.They had their choices.Top line to top line.Chevy has always been beat.Corvette is the exception.But you all know thats not in the same class.

Thats a clip from a ford magazine. I dont know where you get your facts from but heres some from you Mustang guys
AF1Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:44 PM   #31
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
As an interesting data point folks...

I have NEVER owned a corvette/mustang/challenger/camaro... and I find myself looking over my finances carefully to find out how I can get one in '09! I think this new Camaro has enough style, performance, and value to draw in an audience that might never have looked at GM before.

I have never given Camaro's a second look... the stigma is thick in these parts. But the new one _could_ break this trend if GM does it right (which it sounds like they are). I had been saving up to get a used BMW M3 or Audi S4, but if the new Camaro delivers, GM will have my $$$.

Additionally, quite a few younger coworkers of mine (all men BTW) are talking about purchasing either a new Camaro or Challenger... its going to get VERY interesting soon.

CB
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:05 PM   #32
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxcellent View Post
I have NEVER owned a corvette/mustang/challenger/camaro... and I find myself looking over my finances carefully to find out how I can get one in '09! I think this new Camaro has enough style, performance, and value to draw in an audience that might never have looked at GM before.

I have never given Camaro's a second look... the stigma is thick in these parts. But the new one _could_ break this trend if GM does it right (which it sounds like they are). I had been saving up to get a used BMW M3 or Audi S4, but if the new Camaro delivers, GM will have my $$$.

Additionally, quite a few younger coworkers of mine (all men BTW) are talking about purchasing either a new Camaro or Challenger... its going to get VERY interesting soon.

CB

I am right there with you. My dad owned a 3rd gen Camaro that I always adored, but I never owned one myself. I always thought the first car i would buy new would be a Camaro until they ceased production on 02. Now I am just very anxiously awaiting the re-release!
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:44 PM   #33
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
I am right there with you. My dad owned a 3rd gen Camaro that I always adored, but I never owned one myself. I always thought the first car i would buy new would be a Camaro until they ceased production on 02. Now I am just very anxiously awaiting the re-release!
Yeah... in New England Camaro's have been relegated drag strips and high school parking lots. Very few people drive them around day to day.

I used to think it was because New England winters tended to keep people away from RWD sports cars, but SO many people drive BMW's around here that I have changed my mind.

I think the new generation of dynamic stability control systems have made RWD just fine for 95% of winter driving... and the other 5% you shouldn't be driving anyway!

My plan would be to keep my current MINI Cooper S as my commuter (a job it does very well) and drive the Camaro in the nice summer weather!

I am also tempted by the new Mitsubishi Evo X, but its just plain UGLY... and although I'm sure its FAST as HELL, I just don't think I could take looking at that in my driveway every day...

~CB
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote