The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 01-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #29
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Kochaloch, for me the reason was mostly maintenance costs down the road. There are many sensors that are part of the mag rude system, any of which when failing will cause all kinds of headaches. While not an issue during the warranty period, I plan to keep my Stingray for a loooong time (I've had my '74 Stingray for over 20 years!). Friends of mine have had to replace the mag shocks and they run around $1000 EACH. You can get full race-capable, rebuildable, adjustable suspensions for price of a set of mag shocks. Also, if anything in the mag ride system fails, the computers drastically limit top speed and other performance items until the system is repaired, as a safety feature.

As for messing up for not getting mag ride, I wouldn't say that. Its as much a personal preference as anything. One could say the same for people who didn't get Z51 in the first place. Or the carbon top. Or competition seats. Or etc.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #30
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
way way way overblown...I have been in a z51 without MRC and it not "too harsh" at all - granted its a bit stiffer than my base suspension, but I'd have no problem buying it for a DD if I wanted to buy all the other stuff the z51 has (I did not)...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #31
1KUIKC7

Drives: 2015 Zo6 3zl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need for Speed View Post
I hate to say it, but you messed up. I have had this on my 2010 Cadillac CTS-V and it was a no-brainer to get it on my new Z51 Stingray. I have had the opportunity to run hard on the track with my V. The option also includes other traction performance features. It is a fantastic suspension system which was also purchased from Cadillac by Ferrari for use on their cars. Unfortunately only put 115 cold weather miles on my Z51 before Winter storage. Sping can't come soon enough!
I AGREE! (had Both).
Old 01-04-2014, 10:25 PM   #32
H2OStingray

Drives: 2014 Red/Red Z51 3LT
I didn't get it will have my car in a week or so. I will determine it then was going to get it but my I really did not know if it was worth the money. Even my dealer said yes it is better but not so much better that is even worth getting. Also I live in Shreveport, LA that has some of the worst roads that even a hovercraft would have trouble handling.
H2OStingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:24 AM   #33
blkv3tt3

Drives: Black C7, 3LT, Z51
Thanks purpleRac3r for your candid and detailed opinion. I happened to get my C7 from an order that some doofus got too inpatient and bought something else. It was ordered with everything I wanted except MRC, I hoped that wasn't a big mistake. After reading your comments, I do feel better about it.

Heh, H20Stingray, I live further south than you in Lake Charles.....roads suck here! But, my C7 is not my daily drive. I have just under 1k on mine, not an issue at all so far. It is light years ahead of my previous C5....I'm happy!
blkv3tt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:37 AM   #34
H2OStingray

Drives: 2014 Red/Red Z51 3LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkv3tt3 View Post
Thanks purpleRac3r for your candid and detailed opinion. I happened to get my C7 from an order that some doofus got too inpatient and bought something else. It was ordered with everything I wanted except MRC, I hoped that wasn't a big mistake. After reading your comments, I do feel better about it.

Heh, H20Stingray, I live further south than you in Lake Charles.....roads suck here! But, my C7 is not my daily drive. I have just under 1k on mine, not an issue at all so far. It is light years ahead of my previous C5....I'm happy!
Yep mine will be a daily driver except for when I alternate with the motorcycle. Once I get out of the Shreveport area the roads start to smooth out then as soon as you cross the state line in to texas the roads are great.
H2OStingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:15 AM   #35
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
My Z51 has no MSRC.... had it since late Oct. No regrets... as stated, it's blown out of proportion. Heck, even Harlan Charles and John Fitzgerald personally told me that I wouldn't miss MSRC. They're both absolutely correct. I drove all 3 types of Stingrays too (FE1, FE3, and FE4). FE3 is a good middle ground... sporty & firm handling yet your Stingray is still liveable as a DD. Obviously having MSRC is the ultimate option for suspension control but it doesn't mean that without it, the Z51 would be much less compliant on urban & rural driving. If you can get it, then get it... if not then not a big issue nor a deal breaker... nor a big mistake. The Stingray even in base trim is an excellent handling and well-balanced sports car that you can easily drive everyday in comfort and in confidence.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:36 AM   #36
Betsy Iris
(The Blue Beauty)

Drives: 2014 Stingray
In my opinion it's not really a big deal. . .Had mine since October without MSRC and with Z51 package and the ride is fine. Although mine is not a daily driver, I would still feel comfortable driving it everyday. In fact, I wish I could drive it everyday. I'm trying not to put too many miles on it. . .
Betsy Iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:48 AM   #37
Betsy Iris
(The Blue Beauty)

Drives: 2014 Stingray
My reasons for not getting it.
Money, maintenance, not worth it (my opinion). I went for a ride at the dealership in a car with mag ride and after that I picked Laguna Blue, Z51, 2lt, npp, black rims, black tail and mirrors.
Betsy Iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:41 AM   #38
Bulos

Drives: 2015 Z51 2LT CRM & 2006 Scion TC
I am 67 in May my older brother who always had the cool cars, (he was driving a 66 427 Vette roadster in 68 while I was the proud owner of an Opel Kadette), died leaving me a very thoughtful inheritance. I intend to honor his memory by purchasing a 2014 Lt1 Z51 with the Crystal Red paint, black wheels, performance exhaust and manual tranny. I want this Vette to drive as close as possible to his old 427, I want that rumble and hard ride and I think this combo of options will be as close as I can get to that. Long story but I think he wants me to do this and I am as excited as a kid at Christmas waiting to get called to place my order. Everything I've read translates into this is one heck of a ride.
Bulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:49 PM   #39
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '22 Challenger GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSpence8 View Post
When I was placing my order for my Stingray last month, I asked about the MRC option, but the dealer told me it wasn't necessary. After reading through some of these threads, I feel like I made a big mistake. I did get the Z51 package and upgraded performance exhaust, though. Will there be that big of a difference? It's too late to change my order, but I'm trying to make myself feel better here!
That's why I never listen to the dealer.

It's my money and my car, I wanted Z51 and magnetic ride so I got it even though the dealer thought I didn't need either.

Again, my money, my car.

Plus my ZL1 had it and I loved it.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:56 AM   #40
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
If you're going to take it to road courses then yes it is nice to have but not necessary. Car still pulls a G without it..
Are you planning on hitting the race track?
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:03 AM   #41
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
I don't get why people spend all the extra money on Z51 and mag suspension and don't ever plan on hitting the race track.
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:20 AM   #42
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '22 Challenger GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ4Life View Post
I don't get why people spend all the extra money on Z51 and mag suspension and don't ever plan on hitting the race track.
My money, my car.

'Nuff said.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote