Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-03-2024, 04:02 PM   #1
CamaroJoe427

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro LT1
Grinding/Squeaking Noise Shortly After Startup in Rain

Hello Camaro6,

We've been getting a ton of rain here in New Jersey the past two days.

Just yesterday I noticed when I started my car using auto-start in the parking lot to leave work, light smoke was coming from my grille and my car was making a very loud grinding/squeaking noise in the engine bay.

This morning the rain calmed down and my car did not make the noise when I started it up with auto-start warm it up before my commute.

But, to my surprise, upon leaving work today while it was downpouring the car made the same noise again at the same time after startup (there was no smoke coming from the grille this time).

The noise only lasts for about ten seconds, then goes away. The best way to describe it is a grinding/squeaking noise potentially in rhythm with the belts or cylinder rotation.

The car drove perfectly afterwards both days with no signs of overheating or anything leaking (I plan on taking a look at the coolant reservoir when the rain calms down).

My question is, has anyone else experienced this before? And can this be excess rain water causing the noise in the engine bay by latching onto the belts and radiator?

My best guess is that the parking lot at work is rather large and with the help of the wind, rain water is somehow getting inside the engine bay as it downpours (maybe through the heat extractor on the hood, or through the grille, although I know the heat extractor has a drain for water).

I do not have a video, but if the rain continues I will try to get a video tomorrow and see if it makes the same noise.

If anyone knows anything about this issue and could leave some insight, it would be super helpful. Thanks in advance!

- Joe
CamaroJoe427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 09:51 PM   #2
speedyink1

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6MT
Belt slippage? Water from the extractor does end up landing on some belts, maybe if enough of it ends up on them?
speedyink1 is offline   Reply With Quote