The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 03-11-2015, 07:30 AM   #1
Flytrade

Drives: 2015 C7
Inaccurate Oil Dipstick Readings

I'm 70 years old and have been checking oil dipsticks longer than many of you have been alive. If someone were to tell me the following, I would not believe it. However, it is true.

The portion of the oil dipstick that shows the quantity of oil is flat on both sides. You would think the readings on both sides would be the same. However they are not. At least not in my car. It doesn't matter if I check the oil when it's warm, cold, after leaving the oil sit for 10 minutes or overnight. Whenever the oil is checked, the reading on one side of the dipstick is about a half quart different than the reading on the opposite side of the dipstick.

My 2015 C7 has the standard 6.2 L engine and it is now at the dealer's for service. I mentioned this odd dipstick reading to the special Corvette mechanic, and he did not believe it. We went to my car and I showed him how I checked the oil, and he checks it the same way. How many ways can you check it? We both came up with the identical same reading. One side of the dipstick shows a certain quantity of oil in the engine, and the other side of the dipstick shows a difference of about 1/2 quart. This mechanic has no explanation, and neither do I. Neither of us have any idea which side of the oil dipstick is giving an accurate reading.

So, the reason I'm posting this is to see if I am the only one that has this peculiar oil dipstick reading. If there are others, what have you done to correct the problem?
Flytrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:59 AM   #2
Myklo

Drives: 2015 C7 Coupe 7spd TR
I have a 2015 also. Mine reads about 1 mark off from one side to the other. If you look down alongside the dipstick tube you will see that it does not go down straight, but at a fairly sharp angle. Due to the angle of the tube and the thickness of the dipstick, there will be a slight difference from one side to the other.
Myklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:26 AM   #3
route66

Drives: 66 coupe 78 pace car 2014 coupe
You have been checking oil a couple of years longer than me but. I posted this very question over a year ago. My base engine wet sump did the same thing. I asked the same question. I got feedback such rotate the dip stick and then check it ? After the first oil change and now for the last year when I check it, it is always shows full on both sides of the stick. I check it as I have done for 50 years I have been driving. Engine always cold no tricks.
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:35 PM   #4
Kinney

Drives: 2014 Corvette 2L
On my 2014 C7, I just give it a one half turn before pulling it out, and it has been reading accurately. I know it is accurate as I used this method right after the first oil change when I knew it was full.
Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:13 PM   #5
Flytrade

Drives: 2015 C7
Here is something I just noticed with my dipstick. I usually just put it in all the way and take it out for a reading. However, this time I put it in gently - especially the last inch or so. I noticed there was a slight obstruction at about the last inch point. As I continued to push the dipstick down, I could feet it clear the obstruction. This is what I think is happening.
The obstruction (I don't know what else to call it) is deflecting the lower portion of the dipstick - the plastic part - so it's going into the oil at an angle, vs. straight down as it's supposed to. This means it's laying slightly on its side as it contacts the oil. The bottom portion is laying in a lot of oil, while the top side is only partly submerged. This would explain why I'm getting a different reading from one side to the other.
So, what I would like all of you to try, is to see if you also have this obstruction at about the last inch or so of seating the dipstick. Am I the only one? If so, how did I get to be so lucky, and what can the dealer do about it?????
Flytrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:55 AM   #6
Joe Stingray
Master of All Things

Drives: 2019 Stingray 2LT
I read on another forum that its a known issue/problem however you want to look at it.....you either need to do one of two things. either get in the habit of giving your dipstick a turn before you pull it out.....or get in the habit of looking at both sides and using the "high" side for the reading. it has to do with the angle that the dipstick actually enters at the oil pay. obviously it doesn't go straight in.
Joe Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:10 AM   #7
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
A few things on the car are normal, but the sales guy did not tell you. If you feel or see the following, they are NORMAL and part of the C7 experience. Many other threads here on WHY it is this way, this is just a list:

1.Tires/front end chatter/clunk on full lock slow turns
2.Water drips from car after shutoff (small amts, no oilyness, just water)
3.The motor top makes clicking noises when running/idling (direct injectors)
4.The motor will turn a few revs before lighting up on start ( engine pressurizing fuel system)
5. On a base car, oil may read different levels on either side of dipstick. Rotate it once before reading, or take the high side.
6. The trunk will be hard to close when new, many report it gets better with mileage, some do not.
7. when filling up with fuel or unlocking the driver door, you will hear a few clicks near the fuel door, more than one...
8. the indentation in the Styrofoam battery cover is not missing anything, it's for a euro tow eye bolt that is not supplied on US cars, no inflator either in US cars.
9. Upon full acceleration of a automatic, when shifting, it will backfire "bark", due to computer settings/ unburned fuel.

Last edited by Glen e; 10-31-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #8
noxqq

Drives: '19 ZR1 Shadow Gray & '16 Z06 LBR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
A few things on the car are normal, but the sales guy did not tell you. If you feel or see the following, they are NORMAL and part of the C7 experience. Many other threads here on WHY it is this way, this is just a list:

1.Tires/front end chatter/clunk on full lock slow turns
2.Water drips from car after shutoff (small amts, no oilyness, just water)
3.The motor top makes clicking noises when running/idling (direct injectors)
4.The motor will turn a few revs before lighting up on start ( engine pressurizing fuel system)
5. On a base car, oil may read different levels on either side of dipstick. Rotate it once before reading, or take the high side.
6. The trunk will be hard to close when new, many report it gets better with mileage, some do not.
7. when filling up with fuel or unlocking the driver door, you will hear a few clicks near the fuel door, more than one...
8. the indentation in the Styrofoam battery cover is not missing anything, it's for a euro tow eye bolt that is not supplied on US cars, no inflator either in US cars.
9. Upon full acceleration of a automatic, when shifting, it will backfire "bark", due to computer settings/ unburned fuel.

Last edited by Glen e; 10-31-2014 at 09:40 PM.

Glen e...Nicely done!!
Kind of a summary accumulation of several posts scattered across the threads. Should relieve a lot of people's worries over some of the "normal" and non-fatal quirks of the C7.
noxqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:41 PM   #9
mobilin

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS (119k miles)
Thank you for the summary, I was just searching and wondering about a few of these. Especially the tire one, I thought it was rubbing...
Hot Red Camaro 2SS RS 17 Oct 2015 (SS 199) 31 Oct traded 64k miles
Torch Red Stingray 2LT Z51 16 Mar 2015 Delivered (NCM) (NO ECAR) - Sold 09/07/23 ~54k
Black LS Purchased 07/20/13 (SYFY 2) - 21 Oct Given to daughter for 16th Birthday
Red 2LT Delivered 06/24/09 20 days (SYFY) traded 17 Oct 15 99,986 miles
mobilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:56 AM   #10
Texhawk

Drives: 69Camaro,87IROC,96 SS,Z06&Stingray
If you think about it, the actual level would be half way between the two levels on each side of the stick..
Texhawk is offline   Reply With Quote