The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 05-27-2014, 10:05 AM   #15
route66

Drives: 66 coupe 78 pace car 2014 coupe
Had the torque tube replaced a month ago with no further issues. Have about 600 miles since then. No problem with engine stalling like someone else had. Hopefully there is no link between torque tube failure and harmonic balancer coming loose due to torque tube.
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #16
Shamal13

Drives: 2014 Stingray Convertible
Clicking sound

I brought mine in with 722 miles on it and asked about the sound as it was a little embarrassing when riding with a friend. I was told by the lead Corvette service manager that is was due to the high compression engine and the fuel injectors slightly above idle. Do I need to take it back and let him know about the Torque Tube issue, or is it possibly what he is saying?
Shamal13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:55 PM   #17
route66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamal13 View Post
I brought mine in with 722 miles on it and asked about the sound as it was a little embarrassing when riding with a friend. I was told by the lead Corvette service manager that is was due to the high compression engine and the fuel injectors slightly above idle. Do I need to take it back and let him know about the Torque Tube issue, or is it possibly what he is saying?
My only comment would be the hi presssure DI does make a almost a ticking sound but if you can not hear it with the hood up have them put the car on a lift and see if it can be heard from under the car. My understanding of this is the bell shape of the torque tube housing amplifies the noise in the torque tube area.
I hope this is of some help after all that is what I think these sites are all about helping each other.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #18
Tribefan7

Drives: 2014 stingray
Well the dealer told me this is normal and there is nothing they can do. I am very upset with this. I paid a lot of money to have a noise like this. They said they can not do anything unless there is a recall on it! �������� not happy with GM right now!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:44 PM   #19
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Tribefan, a slight, momentary shake is normal when going in and out of V4 mode. I emphasize slight! It will be most noticeable with low rpms and when load conditions change quickly, such as going from level street to a fairly steep and longish uphill. It also seems more noticeable when in 6 or 7 gear (I have the manual trans). For than reason I keep it out of Eco around town or on hilly roads,

As for clicking sounds, the mechanical fuel pump does normally have a clicking sound (similar to that if a sewing machine). It is usually not noticeable, but you may hear it if you have a window down and are idling or moving at low speed near a wall or barrier that reflects the sound. I usually only hear it when I'm in a drive-thru lane at a bank or fast food joint. I've never heard it at around-town or highway speeds.

With nearly 13,000 miles on the odometer, and no hint of driveability or performance problems, I feel this is indeed normal. Note that the sound I describe originates from the engine area. If your sound seems to come from the center tunnel, or even from behind you, there is a problem, and I suggest taking your car to a different dealer for a second opinion. Same goes if you hear the noise at highway speeds, over the radio, etc. Hope this helps!
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:13 AM   #20
Shamal13

After reading this thread, I have payed much more attention to the specifics of the issue. It happens, as many have stated when the engine is in V4 mode, and is especially noticable when the engine RPM is between 1100-1200. Very Disturbing indeed.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:24 AM   #21
Tribefan7

Drives: 2014 stingray
The noise is quite loud during to switch from v8 to v4. It is coming from thr front driver side and also the rear. Almost like the exhaust. I also have a pulse that comes and goes like a heart beat in the steering at speeds over 60 mph. Dealer also says this is normal. I just think for the money I paid these issues should be addressed. Just because it is normal in all C7's does not make it right. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #22
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Tribefan, any loud clicking noise is NOT normal, especially from the rear. Its possible the V4 valves may not be working properly or maybe just sloppy - they are in the rear, just in front of the axle assembly.

As for the steering vibration, that sounds exactly like one of the front tires is out of balance. I had the same issue on one of the rears - caused a pulsing vibration at highway speeds. Had it rebalanced, sure enough the driver rear was 3/4 ounce off. All smooth now. Apparently the dealership tire balancer needs calibration, as I had the problem since April when I put the summer tires back on. A local tire shop had it fixed in 15 minutes.

I suggest going to a different dealership. Something is definitely not right with the clicking, and maybe see a reputable tire shop for a balance check. Check with local car clubs for a good one.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #23
Shamal13

Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
My only comment would be the hi presssure DI does make a almost a ticking sound but if you can not hear it with the hood up have them put the car on a lift and see if it can be heard from under the car. My understanding of this is the bell shape of the torque tube housing amplifies the noise in the torque tube area.
I hope this is of some help after all that is what I think these sites are all about helping each other.
Can you pass the name of your dealer so I can have my corvette guy call them for a referral? They don't seem to want to give in on the Torque Tube recommendation. It would be great to get it from another dealer.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:19 AM   #24
route66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamal13 View Post
Can you pass the name of your dealer so I can have my corvette guy call them for a referral? They don't seem to want to give in on the Torque Tube recommendation. It would be great to get it from another dealer.
Sure Courtesy Chevrolet in San Jose. But when I took it in they just called the factory and told them the symptoms. At first factory recommended replacing the belt tensioner after that did not resolve the problem they recommended torque tube replacement. This did resolve the problem and none since. Also smoother transition from 8 to 4 cylinders.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:57 PM   #25
Shamal13

Awesome! Thanks, it's my first Vette and want it to be the best experience ever. It's been good with the exception of the noise.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:38 PM   #26
BlackVett

Drives: Black 2014 Corvette
Clicking Noise

I have 2,800 miles and the same noise and they told me it is normal. The car sounds like crap. It gets very loud at times and is quite embarrassing. This is normal? I'm trying to work through this with my dealer.
BlackVett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:31 AM   #27
swallace1

Drives: 2015 Z51
The clicking sound I hear is not related to speed of car or rpms of engine. It is only related to hitting hitting bumpy spots in the road. It is not a sound I hear at all times.
swallace1 is offline   Reply With Quote