The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 03-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #1
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
FORBES article - The Stingray Keeps Rolling

FORBES LIFESTYLE
3.5.2015 @ 5:58PM
By Jason Fogelson (Contributor)

2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Coupe Test Drive And Review: The Stingray Keeps Rolling
"Last year, Chevrolet brought out the latest evolution of the Corvette, with the 2014 model year representing the start of the seventh generation (C7) of the storied brand. Auto manufacturers cannot stand still, so the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Coupe incorporates a long list of changes and updates – some trivial, some significant. I got a chance to spend some time driving a Stingray Coupe with the Z51 Performance Package, the 2LT Package and additional options that added $13,160 to the standard vehicle price of $58,000, bringing the “as tested” price to $72,155 including a $995 destination charge.

The distinguishing features of the Z51 package are designed to emphasize the bad boy side of the Corvette. 19” front and 20” rear painted wheels are part of the package, giving a very assertive stance over the standard 18” front/19” rear. A multi-mode performance exhaust system comes with a center console button that changes the tone of the music that comes out of the pipes.

The new high performance Z06 Corvette (starting at $79,000) is getting a lot of attention for 2015 with its supercharged 650 hp/650 lb-ft of torque. The Coupe that I drove was tuned to produce “just” 460 hp and 465 lb-ft of torque from its naturally aspirated 6.2-liter V8 engine. With a curb weight of 3,298 lbs, that’s still plenty of power to send the two-seater rocketing to speed with enough zip to drive your back against the seat. Sixty mph shows up in just 3.8 seconds, and a quarter-mile passes in 12 seconds at 119 mph. My test vehicle was equipped with the optional ($1,725) eight-speed paddle shift automatic transmission, as opposed to the stock seven-speed manual. Though purists may scoff at putting an automatic on a sports car, the responsive and well-geared eight-speed is a great match with the Corvette. Chevy’s still using a conventional automatic transmission here, rather than a dual clutch as several other performance vehicles have adopted. While I would still opt for the manual transmission on my Corvette for emotional reasons, the automatic is said to improve fuel efficiency without a performance penalty.

My test vehicle was also equipped with a must-have option for the Corvette: Magnetic Ride Control ($1,795). Magnetic Ride Control is a continuously adaptable damping suspension system, and it adds the touch of refinement that Corvette needs for comfort on longer drives and for handling on technical roads. Check that box on your order form, and you won’t regret it.

Once you’ve decided that Corvette’s the one for you, the toughest decision is still ahead: Convertible or Coupe? In previous generations, the chassis would give you the answer, as the Convertible was heavier and more flexible than that Coupe. The C7 Corvette, however, was always conceived as an open cockpit roadster, so there’s no discernable stiffness advantage to the Coupe. There is a bit more headroom (with the top up) and 5 additional cubic feet of storage space in the Coupe (15 vs. 10). Choosing the Coupe doesn’t mean that you have to forgo open air driving, however. The roof is removable from A pillar to B pillar, much like a Targa design. The carbon fiber roof section releases easily with two latches, and weighs just 16 lbs. It will fit snugly inside the cabin, laying out horizontally behind the seats. Of course, that destroys the cargo handling advantage that the Coupe started out with, but who’s going to argue with that on a sunny day or moonlit night. My test vehicle’s top suffered from a little bit of squeaking when latched in place, which I’m sure could be remedied with an adjustment or two.

Top in place or top off, the Stingray Coupe is an eye catching vehicle, and will get attention everywhere it goes – especially if you choose a Premium Color ($995) like Daytona Sunrise Orange, Laguna Blue Tintcoat, Velocity Yellow Tintcoat or Crystal Red Tintcoat.

The Corvette Stingray Coupe would definitely get my attention if I found myself shopping for a sports car. I’d be forced to measure it against the Jaguar F-Type, the Porsche Cayman, and maybe even the Chevy Camaro Z/28. The fact is that in the Corvette’s price range, this level of performance is tough to come by.

From C5 to C6 and now to C7, Chevrolet has improved Corvette in every way, with near-supercar performance at sub-six-figure prices. You’ll need to spend a lot more money to get much better performance than the Z51 Corvette, and there aren’t a lot of cars that look better for the money, either. It’s Chevy’s most impressive effort yet, and that’s saying something."
Attached Images

Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:27 PM   #2
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1

...Another Great Article!!!

Thanks for sharing!
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:49 PM   #3
2corvette2

Drives: 2014 Coupe Laguna Blue Tintcoat
Works for me.
2corvette2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:43 PM   #4
stratosphere

Drives: 2015 Stingray & 2011 Cruze
Quote:
My test vehicle’s top suffered from a little bit of squeaking when latched in place, which I’m sure could be remedied with an adjustment or two.
i hope this doesn't become a thing for the Cse7en, i know my C6 had a problem with rattling roof, as shared by many other owners.
stratosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #5
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
I doubt it will a big problem. Considering the article states there are two roof panel latches (we all know there's 3!) I suspect the writer missed the rear latch, allowing extra movement and squeaks.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote