The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #15
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Well.....I'm still in West Palm Beach. My brother and I dropped off our Dad at the airport just a little while ago and our flight leaves tomorrow. This was one wild ride from beginning to end....from stolen superbowl tickets and police to watching my Bears immediately take the lead only to lose. Here's the story.

We fly into West Palm Beach airport because all inbound Miami flights are full. There are fans everywhere from both teams. It's already beginning. We'll hear "GO COLTS!" from someone in the airport and someone yell back "DA BEARS!" non stop through Atlanta and in WPB. The anticipation was already beginning.

We get our hotel room in WPB on the water...very cool place! Go out for dinner and are among a bunch of fans of both teams (jerseys being worn from both teams...and I have my #34 Payton jersey on). Hit the hotel and crash...must be up early to get to the ESPN tailgate party.

We drive 61 miles to Miami and it begins to drizzle...not cool. We get to the Intercontinental Hotel (think that was the name) where all ESPN crew, staff, and family are. We head across the street to Ross so Dad and my brother can get rain jackets...forecast doesn't look too good. Dad has the superbowl tickets in his shirt pocket (they stick out about a 1/2 an inch and I tell him to put them away. We are great targets of getting robbed or something. He says he wants to keep them mint becuase they will be worth money. Understood, but he hides them elsewhere.

We get back to the hotel...Ross didn't have rain gear. We check out the apparel shop for shirts, etc...nothing great. We decide to get Starbucks. I'm in line paying and Dad's behind me w/ about 12 other people waiting for coffee. My brother is around the corner on the phone. Here's where it gets good. Dad put the tickets back in his shirt pocket not paying attention as he's got a bunch of papers and all he needs to hold on to. I coudn't see my Dad since he was behind me.

Someone starts tugging on my Dads pant leg by his foot saying he's stepping on his Starbucks card. Dad looks down while some other jack@ss pulls the tickets out of my Dads shirt pocket. Dad had no idea but the Starbucks employee saw this. SB's emp thought it was a joke, but then saw the guy begin to take off w/ our tickets and ESPN passes. He runs after telling security who stops the guy. SB's emp runs back to Dad telling him and I hear. SB's emp runs w/ us back to the main doors to the hotel and points out who took the ticktes (suspects are now in a white Chevy Trailblazer headed out of the plot). He identifies the guys in the vehicle as the ones who stole the tickets. I give chase.

I catch up to the Trailblazer two blocks away...I'm on foot. They try to cut through traffic stoped at the light. I slam my police badge on their passenger window yelling at them police and to stop. They back up to get away. I rear back with all my might and begin to swing at the window, but quickly realize I'm going to break the window w/ my bare hand. MMMmmmm let's see....break the window, get cut up, and possibly miss the superbowl? Or don't break it, don't go to the hospital, and see if we can get the ticket situation fixed. I slow mid swing and slam the window but don't break it. They cut over the median into oncoming traffic and speed off through the red light getting away. I got the license plate.

I run back to the hotel and police are called. I find out that security got back the 3 ESPN tailgate passes and two of the three superbowl tickets. We are only missing one. Police get there and we find that the Trailblazer is a rental.....but the plate is good. They don't get caught. We talk to ESPN security and they say everything should work out.

We get to the ESPN tailgate party and immediately are met by the ESPN main security lady...very nice lady. She says she has seat 3 next to us so we are missing seat 6. Now we are sure which ticket needs to be cancelled. It is 11am, gates don't open until 2pm, and the ticket should have been cancelled, right??? We have a great time at the tailgate party. There are field goal kicking competitions, tons of footballs to pass around, a live band, free food and drinks....tons of people. We are told we can get our new ticket at the will call at the game. On the bus headed to the game.

We get to the stadium...it is CRAZY! Get through security and to will call. They don't know a thing about it. They say they can't cancel the ticket because some poor schmo might have bought the ticket and already got in. It's now 5pm. They had HOURS before the gates opened to cancel the ticket. It didn't happen and someone dropped the ball. After a lot of arguing back and forth, my dad is FORCED to purchase another $600 ticket two sections away from us. BS!!!

We get in and I swing a deal w/ the usher who won't let my dad in our section. I make him aware of everything and he says he'll work w/ us if someone comes in to TRY and take seat 6. Of course, the police will want to talk to this person. No one shows and we get to enjoy the whole game together!

It was crazy at the game....just crazy! Billy Joel sings the national anthem, we see a night vision of a pilot on the big screen, and realize the fly over is about to happen. The Thunderbirds fly over in formation buzzing the stadium. It's now really crazy. Bears win the toss, kick off, and Hester returns if for a touchdown. It's now pandomonium!!! And then we get about 4 more minutes of fun.....then it's cold rain...soaked clothes even being decked out in rain gear...as the Bears lose to the better team.

I can't say enough about the Bears defense and the entire Colts team. The Colts are by far the better team and proved it. Manning did an excellent job on the field. Rex was by FAR, by FAR a let down. I can't begin to tell you how dissapointed everyone was with him....and still is.

It was a great game....minus the cold, wet weather and losing the superbowl. But, it was fun. We had a great time. Now we are just bumming around for today and will be heading back tomorrow. That about sums it up!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:04 PM   #16
WMCC Gary
Camaro Addict

Drives: 1987 IROC-Z
WOW, amazing story. You ever going to get the money back for the 4th ticket?
WMCC Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #17
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Holy crap Doug, that'll be a story to tell your grandkids!!

Glad you are safe after the run-in with the thieves and enjoy the rest of your time there!
Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:26 PM   #18
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Nah...don't think we'll get any money back. We had 3, all 3 were stolen, got two back, had to pay for the replacement (3rd), and have a feeling that is going to be it for us.

And thanks, Jason. This will be a story to remember for a lifetime. 1st Superbowl and first time seeing the my beloved Bears play.

Good updated news is that the hotel called my Dad about 30 min ago. Their main security guy called to say they have perfect still photos of the thieves and lots of video. Apparently, they were following my Dad for quite some time in and out of the hotel. My Dad also spoke to the Police about the situation and asked if we would be willing to prosecute. There was a very clear understanding that we would all be willing to cooperate in any way necessary to put the "professional" thieves in prison where they belong. We found out that not only was it a felony theft due to the aggregated value of the ticktes, but that Miami also has some sort of tourism law which will enhance the penalty level to a higher degree felony. If, and that's a very big IF, they do get caught, we will be heading back to Miami to see these bastards get put in jail.

So many things go through your mind after the situation is over. I wish I would have had something in my hands to smash out the windows on their car. Freaking pisses me off!!! Try driving around in the wet weather and then explaining it to the rental car company how the .... um... 3 windows got smashed!!!
Old 02-05-2007, 03:27 PM   #19
Bruno

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
Damn sucks for him you are a cop hah.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:24 PM   #20
Luna
Own one, dont date one!!!

Drives: Tiburon
Send a message via Yahoo to Luna
OMG Tag, you said you're gone till wednesday, you're so addicted to this place you cant even stay away one day...sick!!!
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #21
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

You bet I'm addicted!! We are in a little town just outside of West Palm Beach. My bro and I went out, checked out the area, and it's all a retirement community. We hit a restaurant/bar and had some dinner. But, there's really nothing to do here.... it's actually kind of boring. I'd rather be back in SA w/ my family than sitting around the hotel! And YES...I LOVE THIS PLACE!
Old 02-05-2007, 07:45 PM   #22
Luna
Own one, dont date one!!!

Drives: Tiburon
Send a message via Yahoo to Luna
hmm, is it Jupiter? I been there once, my ex's father lives there. Nice town and beautiful cars, but nothing to do. :p
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:02 PM   #23
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Here's a few pix of our trip!
Me standing next to the witnesses and police when the tix were stolen.

At the ESPN tailgate party in the Orange Bowl

Entering the field goal kicking competition (not too bad, but eventually hit the upright)

My favorite picture of all!!! My dad, brother, and I'm in the #34 Payton jersey.

Check out the seats!

Hotel view

Me and the bro on the Atlantic beach

Had to take these...a couple of Hertz special edition Mustangs...
Old 02-07-2007, 12:02 PM   #24
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna View Post
hmm, is it Jupiter? I been there once, my ex's father lives there. Nice town and beautiful cars, but nothing to do. :p
It was Lake Worth...about 10 miles south of Jupiter.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:11 PM   #25
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Dad got reimbursed for the $600 ticket he was forced to buy. They credited his C/C yesterday since the stolen ticket was never scanned in.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:32 PM   #26
WMCC Gary
Camaro Addict

Drives: 1987 IROC-Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Dad got reimbursed for the $600 ticket he was forced to buy. They credited his C/C yesterday since the stolen ticket was never scanned in.
Sweet! glad to hear it. Any word on if they caught the thieves?
WMCC Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:00 PM   #27
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Very cool.
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:57 AM   #28
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

No word as of yet from the Miami Police Dept. It was a rental from Alamo rent a car out of Illinois, so they will have records of who actually rented the vehicle. They can get something out of it for sure.