The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-09-2018, 08:13 AM   #1
ATX_SS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS L99 Vert
Rats or Squirrels in Walls and Attic

Heard some scratching and a little squeaking at 3 or 4 in the morning and hit the walls and ceiling a few times and it stopped. I live in a one bedroom condo that doesn't really have an attic - or I can't just go up there with ease (access is in a small closet). They are no where near the attic entry anyway. I've looked through and the only point of entry is through the fireplace grill/vent on top of the chimney.

Has anyone here had to deal with this problem? I want to just throw some poison on the roof around the chimney. Problem with that is a potential smell. Traps are an option but when there's a few there could be many more. This was just a random noise though and hasn't been going on.

If they're rats wouldn't they want to chew through the wall to get to the pantry for some food? If not then where are they getting food? Are they leaving the house for food and then coming back to the nest? This is what makes me think it's squirrels but I've read squirrels aren't active in the middle of the night.

Trying to avoid pest control as they'll try to rake me across the coals and milk me for a few thousand. Thinking poison first. Any other suggestions?
ATX_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:22 AM   #2
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
hmmm...a .410 with a thermal imaging scope and bird shot so you don't shoot your neighbor...lol...
Old 02-09-2018, 08:43 AM   #3
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Rat poison. They will eat it and go somewhere else to die. If for some reason they do die inside the residence, they do not smell for long.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:50 AM   #4
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Could be bats too.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:24 AM   #5
h422694

Drives: '16 Z06 7 Spd, 2024 High Country HD
Racoons are a possibility. They nest in chimineys. Look dow from the top. If you see one call an exterminator. Real hard to get them out. Might also be squirrels but they normally have an opening you can find
h422694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:15 AM   #6
ATX_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
hmmm...a .410 with a thermal imaging scope and bird shot so you don't shoot your neighbor...lol...
That'll do the trick!
Old 02-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #7
ATX_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by h422694 View Post
Racoons are a possibility. They nest in chimineys. Look dow from the top. If you see one call an exterminator. Real hard to get them out. Might also be squirrels but they normally have an opening you can find
I took off the vent and nothing down there. Could be a tiny hole somewhere I'm missing.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:17 AM   #8
ATX_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingr69 View Post
Rat poison. They will eat it and go somewhere else to die. If for some reason they do die inside the residence, they do not smell for long.
I think this is what I'll try first. Maybe some sticky pads. I'm reading I need to really shut off access points and this may just require the expertise of a pest control guy.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #9
ATX_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Could be bats too.
I was thinking that too! But I'd think I'd here more noise of them going in and out for food at night. The noise is far from the chimney though in the bedroom.
But if this is the case pest control for sure.