The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-08-2018, 06:15 AM   #1
bucknut2006

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10, 2015 C7 Z51
Carmax for selling car?

I'm considering the options for selling my car and the convenience of Carmax is very compelling. Have used Craigslist, Autotrader, newspaper ads, Facebook and so on before, but they are all filled with hassles and people wasting time. I want something that is as quick and painless as possible and wanted to see if anyone sold directly to Carmax before.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:39 AM   #2
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
You're going to leave money on the table with any dealership because they're the ones dealing with the hassle of selling the car instead of you. However, if you're willing to give up some money for convenience then from what I have heard from others who have used them, Carmax typically gives more money for cars than most dealerships. However, if you're modified at all they will start to nickel and dime you down in price even if it is a desirable modification such as a quality cold air intake.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:47 AM   #3
Neil350

Drives: Nike Air Max
They have a lot of competition here locally from Texas Direct Auto which pays about the same as them, some times higher. If you have a stock car and your looking to just get rid of it, not a bad way to go honestly. You can easily look up the book trade in versus retail for your car and you'll see the hit you're taking. The problem I've observed is, most people don't have the cash out right and a lot don't have the best credit. So they tend to go towards dealers because of the financing options. It makes it tough as an individual seller because they have to have that squared away prior to buying from you. When I sold my C6, a lot of the folks were trying to do zero down loans, so the financing would fall through creating hassle for me because just when you think the car is sold, their financing falls through.
12 F150 5.0 Lariat Super Crew - Stock daily
Neil350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:42 AM   #4
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
It all depends on if the convenience of walking in with a car and walking out with a check is worth it to basically get wholesale action rate for your car. Many people are so unside down in ther cars these days that they can't get enough from places like carmax to even pay off the loan. Carmax banks on that. They end up getting you to purchase another car and roling that left over into the new one. Oh and the set you up with a low payment (with lengthy terms) to make you feel good about your decision to fail. Dont let them suck you in. Lol
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:04 AM   #5
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
I sold them a Jeep Wrangler about twenty years ago. They gave me more than I expected. The only minor hassle was a three day wait to be paid.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:10 AM   #6
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
probably depends on the car and or situation, but in my case I was able to sell my old honda for more than Carmax offered me. I got 3,250 and carmax offered 2k so you could always have it as your backup plan if selling privately does not work
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:44 PM   #7
bucknut2006

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10, 2015 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
It all depends on if the convenience of walking in with a car and walking out with a check is worth it to basically get wholesale action rate for your car. Many people are so unside down in ther cars these days that they can't get enough from places like carmax to even pay off the loan. Carmax banks on that. They end up getting you to purchase another car and roling that left over into the new one. Oh and the set you up with a low payment (with lengthy terms) to make you feel good about your decision to fail. Dont let them suck you in. Lol
In my situation, the Camaro is a pleasure car that not really being used. I'm to the point that unless my daily driver catches on fire, I don't have any desire to replace it.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:12 PM   #8
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Like others stated, look at the CarMax offer versus the private sale value of your car. Then factor in the time and hassle it would cost you selling it yourself. Sometimes, you can't put a price on a stress free transaction.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #9
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
I like CarMax... they've given me written offers that were higher than MY Blue Book calculation. I've never completed the transaction with CarMax, because with that written offer, I've gotten higher trade- ins from dealers, but I certainly think that CarMax is a good deal.

And, as others have said, you certainly get a huge benefit from the "hassle- free" aspect of it. They inspect the car ahead of purchase, so if there IS something wrong, it's on them: You'll never have some big ol' cornfed jackwad bangin' on your door to demand his money back 'cause you done some him a POS!!!
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote