Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #1
nvydvr

Drives: 2015 Red Rock ZL1
ZL1 / Z06

Well I test drive this '17 Z06 yesterday and it's pretty darn nice. My wife said to get it if I want it, but I really don't rush decisions like this. I'd appreciate some input if anyone has any similar experience here. I absolutely love my ZL1, but this is a Z06 Corvette. Would I regret getting rid of the Camaro... #1842 of 1850... or would the Z06 take its place quickly? Our ZL1's are just incredibly unique and look sooooooooo AWESOME... Any input would be appreciated.

Name:  IMG_1404.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  172.0 KB
nvydvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:32 PM   #2
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Let the decision be driven by your passion and heart...I've learned over the years that if I have to think about a situation and it's a toss up that it is generally in my best interest to stand pat...With that being said look toward the future and which ever you determine that will ultimately provide you the most joy should be your choice...Regardless of performance comparisons your ultimate goal should be your "joy"...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:32 PM   #3
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
I had a C6 Z06, fastest care I ever owned. I have test drove the C7's many times. I love the car and especially the looks. But for the coin they are asking for these, my knees were hard up against the door and tunnel no matter where I put the seats. The camaro has alot more room. Really love the yellow! You got the OK from the boss already, you are a lucky man.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:41 PM   #4
nvydvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUNNAH View Post
Let the decision be driven by your passion and heart...I've learned over the years that if I have to think about a situation and it's a toss up that it is generally in my best interest to stand pat...With that being said look toward the future and which ever you determine that will ultimately provide you the most joy should be your choice...Regardless of performance comparisons your ultimate goal should be your "joy"...
Wow, well said... thanks brother.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:45 PM   #5
nvydvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
I had a C6 Z06, fastest care I ever owned. I have test drove the C7's many times. I love the car and especially the looks. But for the coin they are asking for these, my knees were hard up against the door and tunnel no matter where I put the seats. The camaro has alot more room. Really love the yellow! You got the OK from the boss already, you are a lucky man.
Yea well when we got married. I explained to her that I was the Captain of this ship... but then she told me the Admiral just came aboard... thanks for the input. I do have reservations about surrendering my ZL1 so maybe I should wait.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:28 PM   #6
Johnny Mac

Drives: 2015 ZL1
I would keep enjoying the ZL1, and see what the mid engine corvette is all about.

Or if they do 20% off on the Z06. But that's just me I love a good deal.

The Admirals a keeper.
Johnny Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:07 PM   #7
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUNNAH View Post
Well said, and this should be your reasoning towards happiness. I often ask myself..... whats more important, having what I want, or wanting what I have. Both are great cars, but I suspect the 5th gen ZL1 will have a special place for many of us. They just got the car right. It would be a tough choice for me as well, but financial logic and love of the ZL1 will keep me in the car for years to come. Now If I could swing both, game on. I keep cars for a long time, and still own my first car I bought 30 years ago.

Since your contemplating you might regret it, I would throw some mods at it and take the Admiral on a nice vacation VS digging a car payment hole.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:07 PM   #8
nvydvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mac View Post
I would keep enjoying the ZL1, and see what the mid engine corvette is all about.

Or if they do 20% off on the Z06. But that's just me I love a good deal.

The Admirals a keeper.
I have a very good deal on the car, so the $ would be right...
Old 11-11-2016, 07:58 PM   #9
DeSH

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #4801
For me, it would come down to the price difference. Is it worth it? The ZL1 is a helluva muscle car straight from the factory. There will always be something slightly better, faster, etc. I refuse to chase that notion...
DeSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:09 PM   #10
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26
Since you asked us, keep the ZL1. If YOU really wanted the Vette, you would be posting pictures of your new car and saying goodbye to us.

You won't regret keeping the ZL1.

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:49 PM   #11
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
Well said, and this should be your reasoning towards happiness. I often ask myself..... whats more important, having what I want, or wanting what I have. Both are great cars, but I suspect the 5th gen ZL1 will have a special place for many of us. They just got the car right. It would be a tough choice for me as well, but financial logic and love of the ZL1 will keep me in the car for years to come. Now If I could swing both, game on. I keep cars for a long time, and still own my first car I bought 30 years ago.

Since your contemplating you might regret it, I would throw some mods at it and take the Admiral on a nice vacation VS digging a car payment hole.
You sound a lot like me...I tend to hold on to cars that I've purchased over the years...But recently I decided to pass a couple down to my son's, I thought there was no sense in keeping them until my will was read, because I wanted to see the joy in their eye's when I could physically hand them the keys and title...And it has been a joy to me to see that they are taking care of the car's as well as I have maintained them over the years...One got an 85 Chevy Monte Carlo SS completely restored, the other a 06 Dodge Charger R/T, and my mom got a 2011 Infinity G37X...I've still got a 85 Camaro Iroc that I bought from a young man, by way of a man's word, the motor went bad the 2nd day I got it, so it's rusting away I have no intent to work on it, only got to make an 1/8th mile car...Sorry to be so wordy but in short it was pleasing to my heart and soul to have made the decision to pass the vehicles on and it gave me great joy...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:59 PM   #12
Mach83

Drives: 2015 2SS RS 1LE
If my wife told me to get a C7 Z06 I'd do one of 2 things........get the C7 Z06 or 'compromise' and get a 17' ZL1. More likely - the C7.
Mach83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:41 PM   #13
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
I've driven a C7 Z06 for a few days and performance wise (Straight and cornering) it's a heck of an upgrade from our ZL1s IMO, most of it is due to weight difference. The interior is a bit better as well on the C7Z.

Overall, even though the 5th Gen ZL1 looks awesome and will be special for years to come, I'd take the permission your wife gave and buy the Z06. Life is short, might as well drive the best car you can.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:16 AM   #14
JacobC1983

Drives: 2019 ZL1
I would trade the C5 ZL1 on a C6 ZL1 before I got the Z06. Mostly for the front leg room and the cost difference is about 20k. It's not that the money is an issue, it's that the price differential isn't worth the difference in performance in my humble opinion.

And I am tall, I just don't fit in there as well as I do in the Camaros.. I need that extra couple inches in seat movement.
JacobC1983 is offline   Reply With Quote