Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-29-2017, 10:32 AM   #1
Shark72

Drives: '16 Z06/Z07, '15 Z/28,1972 Stingray
2015 ZL1 and Z28

Interesting fact...
Did a search on the major car sites and I am seeing more Z28's for sale than ZL1's. Do you think the value will increase on the ZL1 in time or is this just a market adjustment/coincidence?
2015 Z/28 #642 Black Bad Ass
Shark72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:35 AM   #2
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
It may be that purchasers of the Z28 would much rather have the ZL1 1LE I suspect.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:38 AM   #3
blakjak55
drinks virgil's

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
IMO - 5th Gen ZL1's will remain pretty steady until the low-average mile inventory runs out. Then they'll drop but the few low milers that are left should command a decent price. The new ZL1 1LE and it's price point hits the 5th gens where it counts. Look at how the old(er) CTS-V's are doing. That's where I get my assessment.

The Z28 thing I think is strictly from the new ZL1 1LE. The Z28 lacking creature comforts may end up relegating it to a niche market and type of owner. I still think the 427 is great and if I could afford one and stand to DD it, I would.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:34 PM   #4
Shark72

Drives: '16 Z06/Z07, '15 Z/28,1972 Stingray
Good assessment!
It is interesting in comparing the two different cars original MSRP and the current rate of depreciation as well.
2015 Z/28 #642 Black Bad Ass
Shark72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:16 PM   #5
Z28pex

Drives: 2015 Z28
It looked like the 2014-2015 z28's were starting to dwindle. Now, with the new ZL1 and ZL1-1LE's becoming available, looks like we'll see another round of z28's for sell.

I don't get it, but then again, thats nothing new.

Reading other forums, the mustang crowd is entertaining the carbon ceramic rotors, and I think there is a thread on camaro6. The z28 suspension is the forerunner to the new 1LE option.

The z28 is pretty much a race car and when GM makes it, it gets no love....or maybe better put, only a little love.

I know, I know, the marketing, pricing, etc......all affected the z28 sales, regardless it makes no sense to me.
Al O., says the CCB's were for marketing. What about the 427 and the DSSV, was that for marketing also.

I also remember reading about the attitude of z28 owners when they compared there car to other camaros.

I guess lots of factors have affected the z28 sales and its image.

Every time I get around my z28 it makes me smile. I like the brakes, suspension, motor, diff, trans, alcoa rims, and the way it drives.

The bucking and tramlining is also a plus....Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel.....Let it roll, baby, roll.

Actually, nothing wrong with buying, selling, moving on from car to car, and hopefully along the way you find a special one or two to hang on too.

Almost forgot to say, the gen5 ZL1, gen5 1LE's and the gen6 ZL1, gen6 1LE's are awesome and I look forward to reading about them.

Last edited by Z28pex; 06-29-2017 at 01:55 PM. Reason: forgot something
Z28pex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:28 PM   #6
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
I had a '15 ZL1 and now own my '15 Z/28. Two completely different animals in many respects but the cars are definitely cut from the same bolt of cloth otherwise. There is no question the Z/28 is a full out race car and a bear on the street (especially rough one!) whereas the ZL1 is a car that can race fairly well and is much more comfortable to drive on the street.

I agree - I think that we are seeing more Z/28s for sale because of people wanting the ZL1 1LE or even a standard ZL1. The new chassis is awesome and the fit/finish as well as the interior quality are light years better in many respects.

But for most of us, the Z/28 is primal and seemingly prehistoric compared to the tech loaded machines of these 6th gens. There is nothing wrong with that and I really do like the 6th Gen Camaros better than the 5th Gens in some respects, especially the interior and the aggressive front end.

So, to each his own. If I had deep enough pockets I would have both a 5th and 6th Gen Camaro, even if the 6th Gen was an SS vs a ZL1.

But since I can only have one, for now it will be my knuckle dragging, hairy chested Z/28.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:02 PM   #7
Crash76
Team 913

Drives: '14 ZL1, '15 Jeep GC, ‘22 Ram 2500
I find it funny that people think thw zl1le has creature comforts... nav and radio speakers and heated cool seats... big deal... it is fluff.

Its a solid mounted(ie no rubber bushing) suspension/frame , you better have springs in your seat frame cause your kidneys are going to bruise

ZL1-1LE is a track car... plain and simple, sure people are going to say the ride is managable because they will not want to admit that they spent 70k on a car that they dont really like to drive unless it is at the track or on smooth streets

It is another z/28 purpose build car with a better stereo, AC standard, and heated cooled seats.

That most track rats will dump for lighter seats...

Is it a bad ass car? **** yeah, but is it any different than the z/28 ? Nope, if anything I think the ride will be more harsh.
Crash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:13 PM   #8
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
I had a '15 ZL1 and now own my '15 Z/28. Two completely different animals in many respects but the cars are definitely cut from the same bolt of cloth otherwise. There is no question the Z/28 is a full out race car and a bear on the street (especially rough one!) whereas the ZL1 is a car that can race fairly well and is much more comfortable to drive on the street.

I agree - I think that we are seeing more Z/28s for sale because of people wanting the ZL1 1LE or even a standard ZL1. The new chassis is awesome and the fit/finish as well as the interior quality are light years better in many respects.

But for most of us, the Z/28 is primal and seemingly prehistoric compared to the tech loaded machines of these 6th gens. There is nothing wrong with that and I really do like the 6th Gen Camaros better than the 5th Gens in some respects, especially the interior and the aggressive front end.

So, to each his own. If I had deep enough pockets I would have both a 5th and 6th Gen Camaro, even if the 6th Gen was an SS vs a ZL1.

But since I can only have one, for now it will be my knuckle dragging, hairy chested Z/28.

I have a similar story. Had a 2014 ZL1 and now have a 2015 Z/28. LOVED my ZL1, sold it to get a C6 ZR1 (which had been my dream car at the time), but was drawn back to Camaroland and had to get a Z/28. From a purely practical perspective the ZL1 was a better car for me since I DD mine.......fast, comfortable, great looking......but there's just something about the Z/28.....the rawness and just plain badassness about it that is intangible and can't be duplicated in my opinion. The funny thing is that had I started with a Z/28 I might have gone the other way to a ZL1 to see if the grass is greener on the other side. I feel fortunate to have owned both of these terrific cars!
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:56 PM   #9
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash76 View Post
I find it funny that people think thw zl1le has creature comforts... nav and radio speakers and heated cool seats... big deal... it is fluff.

Its a solid mounted(ie no rubber bushing) suspension/frame , you better have springs in your seat frame cause your kidneys are going to bruise

ZL1-1LE is a track car... plain and simple, sure people are going to say the ride is managable because they will not want to admit that they spent 70k on a car that they dont really like to drive unless it is at the track or on smooth streets

It is another z/28 purpose build car with a better stereo, AC standard, and heated cooled seats.

Is it a bad ass car? **** yeah, but is it any different than the z/28 ? Nope, if anything I think the ride will be more harsh.

Just rode in one yesterday, and yes it's much stiffer than the Z28..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:48 AM   #10
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash76 View Post

VERY true. Most people tell themselves that 'It isn't THAT bad' when they are buying or shopping for a track focused car like the 5th Gen Z/28 or the new ZL1/1LE. But when you are IN the car and going down some very common streets and highways and you feel EVERY bump, seemingly even the paint stripes on the road? Yeah, it makes a believer out of you one way or another.

These cars are not for the faint of heart or for the driver who wants comfort and convenience. They will kick your ass on common roads every mile so buyer beware - they are NOT for everyone in any way.

They ride hard as hell and make no apologies. A 'firm' ride is about two steps softer than the Z/28 and most likely the ZL1/1LE. Don't kid yourself.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:28 AM   #11
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I tend to agree with an earlier post, in that the novelty of the Z28 is wearing off some, as we are seeing a host of wonderful Camaros that are tearing up the Nurburgring, and without all of the fuss and hoopla of being exclusive. Some owners may also want to experience the latest and greatest machines, so we're seeing more Z28s offered for sale; Perhaps in addition to some that have remained unsold.

As far as value, I don't think that it will impact the resale value of our ZLs, especially with the current models. Our downslide may slow up a bit....maybe, but I don't think we will see a significant change.

The only thing that could drastically change the value would be a discontinuation of the ZL1 model and/or the high performance Camaro. I'm not so sure that this will happen in a year or two; A decade or two it is possible.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote