The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-06-2018, 07:52 AM   #85
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoug View Post
What part? And, why there?
Yeah, AZ would be perfect as long as you can vacation out of the heat like to San Diego in the summer. AZ is basically setup for snowbirds and retirees. Phoenix, Yuma, Tuscon would all be great.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:22 AM   #86
DDoug

Drives: '13 Inferno Orange ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Yeah, AZ would be perfect as long as you can vacation out of the heat like to San Diego in the summer. AZ is basically setup for snowbirds and retirees. Phoenix, Yuma, Tuscon would all be great.
Someone on this thread mentioned living in Sedona, I like what I see. 30's at night and 60's in the day. I also was talking to a coworker who was out there in 90 degree heat and he said he never felt hot, not like here in MI with the high humidity. I'm now kicking around the idea of taking a month in July - August to see how I like it. If I do, then I'll start planning a winter trip for a year or so later.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:26 AM   #87
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I’m retired and live in the Tri Cities Area of East Tennessee. Great roads nearby, close enough to head to the beach for the weekend or rent a cabin in the mountains, lots of good camping areas around too.
Gatlinburg, Pidgeon Forge, Tail of the Dragon, The Snake are all close by.
Bristol Motor Speedway, and Bristol Dragway are here. Winter is not usually too cold or too snowy, Summers are not usually too hot, just head for the mountains and cool down.
I’ve been living here since I was 20 years old, would not think of living anywhere else.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:32 PM   #88
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetRage320 View Post
I live in MN, but my work sends me everywhere. My retirement goal is Asheville NC..day trip to coast, beautiful mountains nearby, the town is just big enough to have most things you need. Very nice people also.
SW Minn. Native myself. Weather sucks for Camaro fun. I miss it everyday. SE Iowa just sucks compared to the winter fun I had in Minn. Most of the family moved to Willmar, Brainerd, Grand Portage. Now all gone or moved away, miss going back.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #89
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Someone on this thread mentioned living in Sedona, I like what I see. 30's at night and 60's in the day. I also was talking to a coworker who was out there in 90 degree heat and he said he never felt hot, not like here in MI with the high humidity. I'm now kicking around the idea of taking a month in July - August to see how I like it. If I do, then I'll start planning a winter trip for a year or so later.
Oh you will definitely like Sedona. Give it a shot.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:30 AM   #90
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Western NC, southern VA would be my two votes. VA outside of NoVA is pretty decent, my wife and I have been loving the huge decrease in cost of living in the suburbs of Richmond vs. the Fairfax area.

Western NC because of the mountains but also since you'd still be within driving distance of Charlotte for healthcare.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:46 PM   #91
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Oh you will definitely like Sedona. Give it a shot.
prescott is poular for retirees as well, probably what 45 minutes west of Sedona.

or you can move to Jerome, AZ
Old 02-24-2018, 08:08 AM   #92
batman53201
Account not blocked

Drives: The Batmobile
Arizona would be my choice. My aunt and uncle retired there and love it.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:53 PM   #93
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
If you're looking for a bargain, maybe you can retire to Detroit!
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:31 AM   #94
DDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman53201 View Post
Arizona would be my choice. My aunt and uncle retired there and love it.
What city, if you don't mind.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:36 AM   #95
DDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by samman11 View Post
If you're looking for a bargain, maybe you can retire to Detroit!
I've lived in Detroit. Now I'm 4 miles outside Detroit.

Too cold and roads are too straight. And POTHOLES.

And, a place in midtown (the place to be) ain't cheap.

SE side, yeah, but you can't take your dog for a walk, lol. Worked in that area for 12 years. I have stories, lol.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:47 AM   #96
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Here's my two cents worth...
I retired to Surprise, AZ in 2001 and lived there 13 years before family issues caused me to move back. Been to Sedona, Jerome, Prescott, etc. many times. Sedona is beautiful, but extremely expensive to live in. Jerome is an artsy, tourist type place that is slowly sliding down the mountain (or so they say). Neat place however... Prescott is pretty also, lots of pine trees in all of the above places - forest fires are something to think about also. Flagstaff is pretty nice, but a smaller, older town (Route 66 still an interesting influence). All that being said, I'd still move back in a heartbeat. There's so many places to go and things to see it's incredible. Subscribe to Arizona Highways magazine for a year or so and your eyes will be opened to how much there is in AZ. I used to go hiking in the mountains outside of Wickenburg when the weather permitted. Loved it!
Anyhow, that's my view of it :-)
Old 03-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #97
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
I didn't read all of the posts. However, I didn't see anything supporting Arkansas. I would look at the Eureka Springs area or down a bit around Jasper, AR. Living is cheap. Jasper puts you right on top of the Buffalo River and not far from the White. There are many lakes that offer boating, skiing or just hanging out. If you need a bit of history, Pea Ridge National Military Park is in the area. Arkansas has some of the best driving roads to be found anywhere. Weather is 4 seasons, but winter is usually shorter and not too biting. A few cold days, usually followed by 50-60 degree days.

My better half has a farm in North Carolina (Statesville) so I am familiar with the area. Although, I've sold off a fairly big chunk, I still have farm land in the Missouri Ozarks, near Lake of the Ozarks. The 200-300 miles further North does add a bit more bite to the winter than Arkansas. I'd swap a couple hundred acres at the Lake of the Ozarks for a couple hundred acres around Jasper, AR in a heart beat.

All that being said, it is likely that in 28 months or sooner (16 months solves for healthcare), I'll be retired right here in South Louisiana. Hot summers. Not much winter. The very best food in the world (actual professionals give it that rating). The Acadian Culture is real and truly one to experience. The music, the food and every meal being an event with the French, Indian and Creole influences just making it one great gumbo of good times. The one kicker is that the population of oil millionaires (second highest number, per capita in the nation) have pushed the cost of living a bit higher than I like for retirement.

Last edited by Lafourche1; 03-16-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:01 AM   #98
batman53201
Account not blocked

Drives: The Batmobile
Quote:
What city, if you don't mind.
mesa