Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #323
AlohaBR

Drives: Camaros...is there anything else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosss View Post
The invoice price on a 2012 ZL1 was around 52K. What's the invoice on the Z28? Maybe this will shine a better light on the high price.

Any takers? Scott?
See below, Scott said that the 75k INCLUDES the gas guzzler tax, destination charges and Freight. So Sticker is really 71/72ish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
I'm somewhat surprised by the shock and disappointment expressed by some in this thread.

How soon we forget and become a spoiled group of enthusiasts.

The Camaro was gone for some 7 model years. Yes, gone. Finished. No option. Mustangs abound.

Then a glimmer of hope for the Chevy faithful came in 2006.

Then it came in mid 2009 and it did not disappoint.

Then a model and or option list to meet the needs of all was formed.

A 300+ hp V6. Several SS flavors, including an RS package, HUD. Then a Z that turned out to be the ZL1, what a car that is. Then a 1LE option for SS, what an amazing bang for the buck option that is. Then a restyled front and rear that is really nice. Oh yeah, Ricaro seats.

Then the return of a legendary model, engineered true to its heritage. Yes, it's expensive, as it should be. Take an economics class, it makes sense. High feature, highly engineered, exotic components, low volume, race car.

Do we the Chevrolet Camaro enthusiast faithful really have any footing from which to complain? If you find yourself complaining about this price, check yourself. I think the return of the Camaro through the 5th Gen platform has been a smashing success. I don't think that we could have hoped for it to be any better.

I really can't wait to see what the next platform has to offer, because this one has been incredible.
Well put!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Suffice it to say this ain't no DD! But if I'm shelling out $82K, I'm driving it!
Yes, may not track it every weekend put would certainly give it a go and yes would DRIVE IT!!!!!!

Quoted from Scott's announcement...
The Z/28’s suggested retail price includes destination and freight charges, as well
as the gas-guzzler tax.

Makes sticker @71k/72k??
AlohaBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:53 AM   #324
Doubleblank

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2014 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
I'd be quite willing to bet that in a road course time trial, with a stock out of the box 302S vs a stock out of the box Z/28, the Z/28 would be 10% quicker. I know the magazine writers read the forums, make it happen? Use Sonoma or Laguna Seca.
I love the new Z28 as a product and have no problem with the pricing. But even all of it's advantages over the Boss 302S and R probably won't make up for the approximately 400 lbs of additional weight carried by the Camaro on a race track. Not sure how this discussion got started because very few shoppers are doing this comparison. But I don't think it's going to run faster than a Boss 302 S/R on the track.

Here are my cars. We run the 302 R in Perelli World Challenge. Driven by Alec Udell.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #325
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
I bet they don't sell many of them.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #326
EnlighteningYou

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS
I am sure they will sell every one of them regardless, but if they make it to the track to be used what they were built for or stay in a climate controlled garage for collecting is another story sadly.
Does anyone have any info on the "track warranty" coverage? I see people say it's warrantied for track use. Is that in writing somewhere I can check out? What would it cover?

I know people said the same thing about the ZL1 being covered while racing but I heard some people broke stuff at the track and GM turned them down on the coverage because they were racing.
That tells me it wasn't REALLY warrantied for track use at the end of the day.
EnlighteningYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #327
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
72k?
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #328
Emvici

Z/28 Pricing

I saw a post a few weeks ago, titled "guess the z/28 Pricing" . Most people suggested anything from 57k to 42k. Which to me seemed like
reasonable guesses. So No one (that I remember) guessed numbered like what chevy is asking. Does Chevy think that "we car lovers" are so caught up in our love for cool cars that we have become stupid?, or lost or sense of value?. I am curious how many sheep are out there that think they are leaders, will now all hop on the bandwagon, and say " yeah 75k seems about right" when earlier they all guessed much lower numbers. I think its great to have a track ready car like the Z, but I also think Chevy needs a clue about keeping things realistic. How much is this Z/28 marked-up price wise?. Does Chevy think we are all loopy?. I think its important chevy gets this message, or they will be jackin everything up. They could have easily put a 60k tag on this car and made a ton of money.
I bet chevy doesn't sell many of them because of the greedy price they are asking. I really hope they get the message, and I hope most people call them on it, instead of caving in like sheep. Yeah its a great car, but have we lost our sense of value?. If we want to pay through the nose they every one say, yes to 75k nod your heads and take it. So are most of you thinking what I am thinking?. or?
Old 01-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #329
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
It seems to me all of your issues are addressed in the existing long and growing fbodfather thread on the $75,000 pricing announcement.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #330
Emvici

I hadn't read that post yet
Old 01-04-2014, 01:07 PM   #331
Xlr8ion

Drives: 2013 Cayenne GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlighteningYou View Post
I am sure they will sell every one of them regardless, but if they make it to the track to be used what they were built for or stay in a climate controlled garage for collecting is another story sadly.
Does anyone have any info on the "track warranty" coverage? I see people say it's warrantied for track use. Is that in writing somewhere I can check out? What would it cover?

I know people said the same thing about the ZL1 being covered while racing but I heard some people broke stuff at the track and GM turned them down on the coverage because they were racing.
That tells me it wasn't REALLY warrantied for track use at the end of the day.
There is a difference between track use and racing.
Xlr8ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #332
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
LoL ..... I can't wait to see all those Z/28 fanatics going broke trying to buck up in order to buy one, just like I've seen all the ZL1 fanboys not being able to afford one of those High end Camaros ... my dealer has 3 ZL1s that I was told customers couldn't afford .. and going on line, there are quite a few ZL1s up for sale already ....
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #333
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr02Z/28 View Post
LoL ..... I can't wait to see all those Z/28 fanatics going broke trying to buck up in order to buy one, just like I've seen all the ZL1 fanboys not being able to afford one of those High end Camaros ... my dealer has 3 ZL1s that I was told customers couldn't afford .. and going on line, there are quite a few ZL1s up for sale already ....
I can see it now, people starting threads about making their cars look like a Z/28 and then the replies calling them posers...
Old 01-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #334
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleblank View Post
I love the new Z28 as a product and have no problem with the pricing. But even all of it's advantages over the Boss 302S and R probably won't make up for the approximately 400 lbs of additional weight carried by the Camaro on a race track. Not sure how this discussion got started because very few shoppers are doing this comparison. But I don't think it's going to run faster than a Boss 302 S/R on the track.

Here are my cars. We run the 302 R in Perelli World Challenge. Driven by Alec Udell.
Perfect. I can't seem to find it after some quick digging, but you would know- what do you estimate your R, or an S, would run at Laguna? 35's? Less?

I think with the Z's added tq/hp and better suspension/brakes it would be darn, darn close and make up for some of that 400lbs. I appreciate your comments.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #335
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
If you read through all the posts in that other thread you will see a lot of people guessed about right on and a few were even at 80k.

Anyone thinking this car, with it's known content, would be priced between a 1LE and a ZL1 was a) only being hopeful b) remembering the Z28s from gen 3 and 4 where a Z28 was just a few chassis tweaks or c) have no idea how much the Z/28 content costs (CC Brakes, LS7 engine, unique performance goodies, New dampers, etc.)

Every change to make a Z/28 costs more money than the ZL1.

And if you think $60,000 would have made them a ton of money than you simply aren't grasping the costs to bring this car to market.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #336
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
I want one. Curious how market will respond to it and how used prices will hold up. The Z06 carbon C6s are $30k below msrp after 2. Yrs. If I ever get across a $50ish K one my 1LE is a goner.
So from bits and pieces I have gathered from various videos/threads/interwebs etc.

1. Price is 75k now.
2. Leno stated 1500 per year. ALso stated on this site was a 2 year build.
3. The unveiling of the Z/28 where it was stated "anyone can buy one that wants one"

I think it was LOWDOWN that i had a brief back and forth about "how many engines" could be built for this car. 3000 is a believable number at the rate at which they turn them out.

I still believe this car will be available to anyone with the coin to purchase one. At 75k I am out. My wife would kill me if I brought it home at that price.

I think the 2014 MY will sell quickly. For 2015 i think all the hype returns to the Z06 (especially if it is smashing the ZR1's ring time) an this may slow sales of the Z/28 and potentially one can be had under MSRP (my only hope right now unless i buy used).

If the Gen 6 SS is running a 460hp motor and running on the heels of the ZL1 - then the the new ZL1/Z28 will also kill the value of this Z/28 (if they build it - thats another discussion).

I work 5 minutes (from my desk) from a very nice road course. My commute is a lovely 11 mile drive (down a nice country curvy road). I would love nothing more than to drive the Z/28 to work, skip out early and tear up the track on a nice summer day.

Another point - i think those arguing about CAFE being skewed might be a little off. in 2012 GM sold 1,200,000 cars. 1500 Z/28s are .001% of that volume. The Volt sold 23k in 2012 (i knew those would come in handy ).

So hats off to GM/Chevy/The Camaro crew - this is a winner! I hope I can have one even though it may take an extra year to get into one.
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote