Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #239
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
this is the part the has me worried. I fear more Z/28 s will be bought to be collected than tracked. I fear that some Z may never see the track
I don't see that as all bad. That just means there will be some available in good shape down the road when somebody else wants one.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:36 PM   #240
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Ls7 = $14,000
Ls3 = $7799
Less than $7000 price difference.
Add that to a base 1le camaro $35,000
Thats $42, 000

Even if you add the cost of a LS7 to a 1le that is about $50,000 with a spare ls3 left over
Old 01-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #241
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademaster View Post
I am on my third. Dropped valve the first time and spun bearing the second. These things happen when you track hard, but at this point my confidence in the ls7 isn't stellar. GM replaced the first because it happened on the highway, but I didn't try the second time because it was on track and that's not their responsibility. Blown motors on z06s are more common than most realize. It is still a cheaper option than any alternatives, but I wouldn't bet the farm on an ls7 being bullet proof on the track. It's a great engine for a lot of purposes, but my personal experience with durability hasn't been the best and I know others with similar, though less repetitive, experiences.
Thanks for the added info and sorry to hear of the troubles you personally experienced. Here is my honest question- what are the chances that GM did not take corrective action on the weaknesses you experienced? My thought is, how could they not for an engine that is going into a halo, swansong car? I suppose none of us will know for sure until some months after deliveries begin eh? :-)

As a point of reference, Porsche's have a raft of problems as well, though some of the owners choose not to recognize that fact. That's a car twice the price of the Vette or Z/28. And replacement parts are 10x the price :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Don't mind the naysayers..... Some people just don't get "it".
No worries, just feeling feisty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
this is the part the has me worried. I fear more Z/28 s will be bought to be collected than tracked. I fear that some Z may never see the track
I think (hope) you'll be pleasantly surprised. There is a big group of tracking fanatics, and unless you associate with that group, you typically don't even know it exists. (you as in generally not you personally). This car was made for them and the value is undeniable for those that understand the value proposition.

Anyone clocking track miles understands exactly what they are looking at buying here. The traffic light burnout crowd will figure out the facts real quick after roasting their first set of rear tire$...lol! The bubble-wrapping "collectors" will simply be a great supply of cherry cars for future trackers.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #242
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Here is a quick point of business that some people aren't getting.

You charge the price for your product that you can get based on the volumes you intend to sell.

GM did prototypes of what ended up being the C5 Z06. Had a chance to drive one of the cloth seat base cars. Someone realized that providing an opportunity for the customer to give you less money for a Corvette likely was a bad deal. So the cheaper but lighter weight body style got a nicer engine, titanium exhaust, etc. and became the most expensive car rather than the cheapest.

GM doesn't have to charge what we think it adds up to they only have to charge the amount the number of cars they intend to sell can be sold at. If there is a limited volume, then the price is whatever they think they can get and sell that number of cars.

It's really that simple.

Anyone complaining they should charge less is, LIKE ME, disappointed it's at a stratospheric price point that we likely can't pay or at least very much unwilling to pay.

Sure it would be great if they put all that stuff into that car that makes it far superior to any Camaro ever built and far superior to any Pony car ever built and go "gee, we love you guys so much, let's charge the same price as an SS".

That was never going to happen.

I'll make my case again. Take a 1LE (awesome car) and add the LS7 (my favorite engine anywhere. That car with that hand built engine is $60,000. Don't argue it, that is what a 1LE with the LS7 would cost based on the mark up for the LS7. Now you have a care that costs more than the ZL1, but can't and won't keep up with it around the track. Anyone think that the 2nd best Camaro around the track is worthy of being called a Z/28? GM didn't and a few people high up didn't either (or so I've heard) and making the car lighter, better handling, and better braking needed to be accomplished. So low volume parts just for the Z/28, Carbon Ceramic Brakes, Special wheels and very expensive tires. Our now $60,000 1LE (I told you not to argue it, it's true) is now pushing $70,000 (CC brakes alone would add $5,000 or so). Now throw in some development cost, amortize some tools and TA DAAAAAAA you are at $75,000. And keep in mind that $75,000 includes the Gas Guzzler Tax as well which I think is several thousand.

Yes, it seems high. But for the content it's fair. And add in that exclusivity (and GM is pricing for that too, bet on it) and it's more than fair. Keep in mind, even the Z06 is far more common than this Z/28 will be.

Anyway, this is the food for all of us enthusiasts.......................and I'm far from full.
How dare you interject sound logic into the conversation.....

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:45 PM   #243
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Fully loaded out with everything yes, but you can also get them $20k off MSRP. Plus anyone really track focused is swapping brakes/etc out anyways. You can get a very nicely loaded 3lz carbon package 2013 z06 brand new for $65k, and spend $10k on track wheels/tires and some really badass brakes/roll bar/seats/etc to have a track ready car for same or less money that would be much quicker.
Yes, the OLD Z06. Keep in mind as well that the C7 can be a $75,000 car.

As I said I hope I am very wrong but I am expecting a huge jump in performance. Not sure what power train gets us that though.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:45 PM   #244
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
That's a lot of spread for a Camaro. I can only see the sense in this for someone that collect cars or someone that spends a lot of time at the track. Everyone is saying this car is such a buy. I don't see it. The ZL1 is the real buy for people that want a fast car that you can live with every day. I'm sure Rick Hendrick will enjoy parking his beside his others.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #245
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Moreno View Post
Don't sweat the BS.

I see three viewpoints on the z/28:

1. "You mean they want 75k for a car that looks 85% similar to a 23k car??"

2. "75k seems fair, considering what your getting. Meh."

3. "You mean I can pay 75k and get a car that will embarrass $200k exotics owners at the track??"

I am definitely in camp 3! I get "it".
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #246
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademaster View Post
I am on my third. Dropped valve the first time and spun bearing the second. These things happen when you track hard, but at this point my confidence in the ls7 isn't stellar. GM replaced the first because it happened on the highway, but I didn't try the second time because it was on track and that's not their responsibility. Blown motors on z06s are more common than most realize. It is still a cheaper option than any alternatives, but I wouldn't bet the farm on an ls7 being bullet proof on the track. It's a great engine for a lot of purposes, but my personal experience with durability hasn't been the best and I know others with similar, though less repetitive, experiences.
I have seen a few go bad myself, dropped valve on one. I forget what killed the other one....they are definately not bullet proof.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:25 PM   #247
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPAJETSKI View Post
I'd like to think the engineers could have coaxed another 80 hp out of the LS3 without resorting to the LS7. I guess they have a few laying around. First they tried unloading them in the 427 vette and now the Camaro. It's cool for the wow factor but it still seems like there would have been a more affordable powertrain alternative.
There was alternatives, but they don't want to sell 10,000 of these bad boys @60k because it would destroy CAFE numbers. It's sickening that a company has to build something that pleases the government rather than the consumer.
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #248
camarosss

Drives: Berger80,02CPE,67SSRS, 12 ZL1 #1342
Wow! What can I say, Al that's a little further north of the ZL1 than I expected, about 10k more. Never dreamed of spending over 80k for a car regardless of what it is. After reading all of the post on this thread I would say out of 100% of the guys that planned on getting one it's about 50-50 on who will actually buy one.

Lot of frowns from the average Joes that would buy one if they were closer to the ZL.

I don't like the price but if it will keep the production numbers low and GM will only build less than 3k in a two year span it'll be worth it. But I still think 80k is very pricy for a Camaro.

Another thing GM needs to think about is what will Ford do on pricing their "high end Mustang" Cut the price a little and run some loyal Camaro customers to buying Mustangs? Man I hope not. Don't ruin a good thing GM.

1967 RS/SS 468 18s/20s
2002 Berger #80
2002 SS A4 RED/BLK 19s
2002 Tahoe Z71 BLK 23s For Sale
2009 Tahoe LTZ BLK 26s
2012 ZL1 #1342
2014 Z/28 #225
camarosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #249
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt55 View Post
Ls7 = $14,000
Ls3 = $7799
Less than $7000 price difference.
Add that to a base 1le camaro $35,000
Thats $42, 000

Even if you add the cost of a LS7 to a 1le that is about $50,000 with a spare ls3 left over
Exactly!! I have been pointing this out often here lately. This is the car to offer in 2015 but some folks here continue to miss out on it or keep their blinders on. And the prices you mention are retail and not what GM pays for them, it can be done and should be done. Although 1SS 1LE is closer to $38k and your going to want the $2000 recaros, so we are around $40k and can put that LS7 in and for right around $50k.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #250
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Moreno View Post

3. "You mean I can pay 75k and get a car that will embarrass $200k exotics owners at the track??"
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #251
bionick

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Before I saw the video that the Z28 was going to cost north of the ZL1, I was almost sure it was gonna be priced in between the SS and ZL1.. I saw a vote and most votes agreed so I guess I'm not the only one who thought that. Maybe 45k or so? I was shocked at this. Asides from the LS7 motor, what would give it a 20k increase from the ZL1? Sure it's "track ready" but couldn't you just shed weight, etc from a ZL1? I mean not having an AC, HID's, trunk carpet, less speakers, that should drop the price not increase it. I don't know every part on this car so don't attack me Lol
Old 01-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #252
eymang

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 1991 Vert
$8k more and have this
Attached Images

eymang is offline   Reply With Quote