Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #1
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back

I am looking for a good link for this system? I am having trouble for some reason. I see them ranging in price from around $500 up to $1000? Am I missing something? (clearly).

Any input on this system? I am looking to get this done first, and then go with Kooks LT headers after. From what I have researched this is the right order to do this in?

Thanks all!
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
Threlkeld's SS

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
There's a brand new cat back in the for sale section right now. And you're probably finding AXEL backs for about $500 and not the CAT back which cost around 800-1000.
Threlkeld's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
HypnotiqSS

Drives: 2010 camaro 1ss
I have the catback and I absolutely love the sound. Maryland speed was the cheapest I could find
Old 02-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #4
scott's45
Scott's45

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th Anniversary
I can only tell you what I've heard from members on here, I have no personal experience with them myself. But, when I heard them referred to as "drone-master". I looked at other brands immediately.
2012 2SS 45th Anniversary, Hurst short throw shifter, Stainless Power LT headers, high flow cats, SW Retro Chambered 3" cat back, CAI, Heritage grill, tinted windows, red/silver hash stripes, AAC LED sidemarkers, blacked out turn signals/tail lights, splash guards. 402RWHP

scott's45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
HypnotiqSS

Drives: 2010 camaro 1ss
OP. do you have a ls3 or l99? I have the ls3 and have no drone whatsoever.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #6
Black-Out

Drives: himself insane
I have the Flowmaster Force II catback - tied onto a set of Kooks LT's.

All I can say is... LOUD! I'm also LS3, so no drone.
{sold} -- 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS - Black on Black. Kooks catted LT's, CAI, Accell 9070c ceramic wires, Barton shifter, custom catback w/Dynomax VT's, quad tips, Pfadt springs/sway bars/trailing arms, Diablosport tuner {Lew tune}, 3.91 gear's, Energy cradle bushings.
Black-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #7
TwentyTen2SSRS

LS3 here. Ordered full American thunder cat back system. This can hook to kooks later if I understand correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
Old 02-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #8
Black-Out

Yup - System ties nicely onto the stock downpipes, then when you get your Kooks, you just order the catted, or non-cat connector pipes.

Has GOT to be the easiest header install I've done in my life.

Just remember to pull off the lower steering coupler, and retract the shaft (yes it's easy to do) after you pull the stock parts, and before you do the install of the Kooks. I personally had to slice off the rubber boot around the u-joint on the steering shaft. Oddly, some say they didn't have to (mine was in direct contact with the #1 tube!).
{sold} -- 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS - Black on Black. Kooks catted LT's, CAI, Accell 9070c ceramic wires, Barton shifter, custom catback w/Dynomax VT's, quad tips, Pfadt springs/sway bars/trailing arms, Diablosport tuner {Lew tune}, 3.91 gear's, Energy cradle bushings.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:20 PM   #9
TwentyTen2SSRS

How do I decide on catted or non catted?

Looking to order these ASAP before my mod money is gone.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #10
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013BlackLS View Post
How do I decide on catted or non catted?

Looking to order these ASAP before my mod money is gone.

Without cats you'll get some unburnt fuel smell and may also fail emissions inspections if you have them in your area.

You could actually fail emissions even with long tubes and cats it just depends on how strict your area is. If they do OBDII testing you will need a tune to get rid of the CEL.
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:44 PM   #11
Black-Out

As above! Plus.. really.. the cost difference isn't THAT much when you consider what the car cost, what the Kook's cost... etc etc!
Old 02-15-2014, 10:53 PM   #12
TwentyTen2SSRS

Thanks guys! Emissions here in Seattle so cats it would be!

Old 02-15-2014, 11:00 PM   #13
Threlkeld's SS

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Cats won't stop you from failing it's the check engine light that will fail you here so unless you get your car tuned to turn those codes off you'll need to buy cats that WONT trip the check engine light
Threlkeld's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:28 PM   #14
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I have Flowmaster AT Catback and had it installed, out the door for $1200. I have a set of TSP LTH w/ no cats on the way. I personally like the sound of Flowmasters, but I know it's not for everyone. I like the old school, deep rumble which these fit perfectly. I'm anxious to hear them with the LTH. You'll need a tune after the headers which should kill any drone you have.

Cats or not cats it will still trip your CEL. A tune will kill the code and maximize your headers.