Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 05-01-2006, 08:49 AM   #1
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Detroit dealer takes deposits for Camaros already!

General Motors has yet to announce official plans to build a production Chevrolet Camaro Concept, but that didn’t stop a Detroit-area Chevy dealer from taking $1,000 deposits, reports Automotive News. According to a report by the trade publication, Les Stanford Chevrolet began soliciting payments from enthusiasts who want to order the Camaro. The move drew criticism from many consumers, who felt it was unreasonable to take orders and money for a vehicle that is not only years off, but has also yet to be officially announced. In the end, the dealer pulled the ads under pressure for customers and GM, who wasn’t too impressed, either.
Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:50 AM   #2
Tran
Administrator

That's really pretty silly... trying to cash in on all the buzz over this car this early
Old 05-01-2006, 09:29 AM   #3
Bruno

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
Thats ridiculous but the people putting down the 1k deposits are stupid too. I mean I want this car to come out as much as the next guy but that's just idiotic to give someone your 1k to hold for possibly up to a couple years.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:34 AM   #4
PonyTech

Drives: waiting on 5th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTran
That's really pretty silly... trying to cash in on all the buzz over this car this early
Dang talk about a dealer jumpin the gun over this car. Any word on when Chevy will give this new Camaro a thumbs up or down for production?
PonyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:41 AM   #5
Tran
Administrator

More details on this from Autoweek article:

Chevy dealer pulls ad after $1,000 deposits draw fire from GM

DETROIT -- General Motors has not announced plans to build the Chevrolet Camaro, but that's a mere technicality for a Detroit-area Chevy dealer. Les Stanford Chevrolet in Dearborn, Mich., has solicited deposits from enthusiasts who want to order the Camaro. In the May edition of the national car-enthusiast magazine duPont Registry, Stanford published an ad that says "the new Camaro is coming," advising readers to "reserve yours today."
The dealership took five deposits of about $1,000 each after placing the ad, says owner Paul Stanford.

After hearing from GM on Thursday, April 27, Stanford says he will discontinue the advertisement. The ad will run in the June duPont Registry, but Stanford says he's pulling the ad from the July edition.

"I have agreed to take the (Camaro) picture out of the ad," Stanford says. "It will be removed, and any language about the new Camaro coming will be removed."

Customers can reclaim Camaro deposits if they wish, Stanford says.

GM not amused

No doubt that will be good news to GM executives who objected to the ad. "We would obviously not condone a dealer taking deposits on a car we have not verified that we will build," Mark LaNeve, GM's vice president of vehicle sales, service and marketing, wrote in an e-mail to Automotive News.

Chevrolet has received unsolicited deposits from people eager for the Camaro, which GM unveiled as a concept at the Detroit auto show in January. Chevrolet returns the money, says Chevrolet spokesman Mike Albano.

Albano says GM has not made any production announcements to dealers or to GM employees. "We do not endorse the idea of using the Camaro or any concept car in a misleading way in advertising," he says.

Albano did not say whether Stanford had violated the dealer sales and service agreement. GM officials are investigating the matter, he says.

Although Stanford concedes GM has made no Camaro announcement, he offers a defense: "Our contention from our sources is that it's coming. In the event that it is being produced, we want to be in a position to offer it to our customers."

Chevrolet hopes to announce its plans for the Camaro this summer, Albano says.

Vipermania

Other popular concept cars have experienced this sort of frenzy. When Chrysler Corp. unveiled the Dodge Viper at the 1989 Detroit auto show, deposit checks deluged the project managers, says Chrysler spokesman Dan Bodene.
"We were getting checks in envelopes addressed to Viper Highland Park, Michigan," Bodene says. "People had no idea who to send them to."

One man sent a check for $60,000 to then-Chrysler President Robert Lutz, for two Vipers - one for himself and one for his wife. Chrysler returned the checks.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:46 PM   #6
MarkLS2
Administrator

Drives: 2009 Camaro
haha thats nuts, dealers are ready to make money on this thing, and why not. Its been a long time since chevy dealerships had a product that people were going this crazy over.
MarkLS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:27 PM   #7
JustinZS

Drives: waitin on 2010 !!
If this thing ends up having the fanatics that the Viper have then Chevy has an absolute knockout hit on their hands with the Camaro. Let's hope so!
JustinZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:09 PM   #8
Cleotiz

Drives: 1995 Z/28
Iff i had that kind of money i would try it also :P
Does it come in Black? hehe
Damn, i can't wait to finally see one for real
Cleotiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:32 AM   #9
Al Robinson
RACKM

Drives: 2001 Mazda MilleniaS
Cool

This was an excellent ploy to hipe up the Camaro. Now there are rumors that two assembly plants one in Canada and one in Delaware were told they were in contention to build the car. If some or most of the components are from the Corvette, would it not seem prudent to build it at Bowling Green? :
Al Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:37 AM   #10
lq30

Drives: Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleotiz
Iff i had that kind of money i would try it also :P
Does it come in Black? hehe
Damn, i can't wait to finally see one for real
Of course it will come in black

Look at the black one here - http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...00&postcount=3. Amaazing.
lq30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
Hatchman
Speedaholic

Drives: 2.6KB Mustang, SVT Lightning
3 years, who's got their Camaro?

Last edited by Hatchman; 01-12-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Hatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #12
Gary B

Drives: Subaru
Nothin pisses me off more then when some idiot drags up OLD posts...damn man, stay in the present!!
Gary B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #13
Hatchman
Speedaholic

Drives: 2.6KB Mustang, SVT Lightning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B View Post
Nothin pisses me off more then when some idiot drags up OLD posts...damn man, stay in the present!!
"Those who do not learn from history, are destined to repeat it."
Hatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #14
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
:troll: