Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
SN69SH

Drives: 2015 ZL1 [Tallulah2]
Post Front Wheel Noise

There is a noise coming from the front wheel when I make a sharp right turn on an incline as well as backing out of the driveway (slight incline) and turning the wheel. I do not feel it in the steering wheel. I do hear a rubbing noise (I would not say grinding as it does not sound like metal to metal). There is no obvious damage or rub marks to the tire or the wheel well as if on the turn the wheel was rubbing or hitting the wheel well. I have had it at the dealership and of course they cannot duplicate. Which sort of leads me to believe perhaps temperature has something to do with it? I will admit I do notice it more in the morning and when I am leaving work in the afternoon. I bought this car to drive it hard (in an aggressive manner not like off road or unpaved roads) not to pansy ass around town and look good. I live in Texas and we run a speed limit of 80 (+25 is reckless driving) so 104 to be safe/”legal”

Dealer said they cannot find anything wrong. Brakes look good and are not pulled too tight the wheel moves freely when on the lift etc…. And of course they do not hear the noise. I have read the message board for similar issues and only see a bit on a TSB but it is not on my year model. When I look at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...callsearch.cfm I find nothing on this condition. Even within the complaints section (I really wish people would be more descriptive in complaints) I just cannot grasp that this is a normal condition. And I know it is not my imagination. Note I also checked for tire recalls and checked the reviews on the tire to see if anyone else experienced the issue. This is my first time driving on Pirelli. Nothing discovered.

Things I have checked thus far:

--Wheel and wheel well for wear or rubbing; nothing observed
--Brakes (dealer) I started to think maybe they were pulled too tight as I do here a squeak when braking. Dealer says brakes are good and wheel is free moving, indicated the squeak could be or is likely breaking in I only have 2500 miles on the car
--Power steering fluid; this was the first thing I checked both warmed up and running and cold just sitting there. Level looks good
--Verified the tires are installed correctly (directional) and are not showing any unusual tread wear or imperfections

About the car:
2012 2SS Camaro 6.2L (only Chevy/GM approved mods thus far)

Currently has 2500 miles
Pirelli P-Zero tires:
Front: 245/40/ZR21 (100Y) DOT JR YF K097 1411
Rear: 275/35/ZR21 (103Y) DOT JR OH K096 1311

Any help would be appreciated. The guy at the dealership is willing to work with me so if anyone has any ideas of what else we might check it would be greatly appreciated. I really do not think this is normal and obviously do not want to do further damage.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Jyork

Drives: 45th Anniversary SS
I have the exact same issue on my 2012 2SS. Only happens after the car has been sitting for than a few hours. ??
Jyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
dannykay

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SN69SH View Post
There is a noise coming from the front wheel when I make a sharp right turn on an incline as well as backing out of the driveway (slight incline) and turning the wheel. I do not feel it in the steering wheel. I do hear a rubbing noise (I would not say grinding as it does not sound like metal to metal). There is no obvious damage or rub marks to the tire or the wheel well as if on the turn the wheel was rubbing or hitting the wheel well. I have had it at the dealership and of course they cannot duplicate. Which sort of leads me to believe perhaps temperature has something to do with it? I will admit I do notice it more in the morning and when I am leaving work in the afternoon. I bought this car to drive it hard (in an aggressive manner not like off road or unpaved roads) not to pansy ass around town and look good. I live in Texas and we run a speed limit of 80 (+25 is reckless driving) so 104 to be safe/”legal”

Dealer said they cannot find anything wrong. Brakes look good and are not pulled too tight the wheel moves freely when on the lift etc…. And of course they do not hear the noise. I have read the message board for similar issues and only see a bit on a TSB but it is not on my year model. When I look at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...callsearch.cfm I find nothing on this condition. Even within the complaints section (I really wish people would be more descriptive in complaints) I just cannot grasp that this is a normal condition. And I know it is not my imagination. Note I also checked for tire recalls and checked the reviews on the tire to see if anyone else experienced the issue. This is my first time driving on Pirelli. Nothing discovered.

--Brakes (dealer) I started to think maybe they were pulled too tight as I do here a squeak when braking. Dealer says brakes are good and wheel is free moving, indicated the squeak could be or is likely breaking in I only have 2500 miles on the car
--Power steering fluid; this was the first thing I checked both warmed up and running and cold just sitting there. Level looks good
--Verified the tires are installed correctly (directional) and are not showing any unusual tread wear or imperfections

About the car:

Currently has 2500 miles
Pirelli P-Zero tires:

Any help would be appreciated. The guy at the dealership is willing to work with me so if anyone has any ideas of what else we might check it would be greatly appreciated. I really do not think this is normal and obviously do not want to do further damage.
I have the same exact issue on mine...I usually notice it in the morning or after the car has been sitting for a few hours....took it in and dealer said "cant duplicate issue"....by any chance the info that you found on other year models can you post that or send me the link? Thanks!
dannykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
VoodooVyper

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 1LT/RS
I have this same issue. I recently had the car serviced and had the torque converter replaced and the front timing covers as they were leaking oil (only 5k miles, mind you).

I pull out of the dealership lot and hear this strange rubbing/grinding noise. Same as mentioned, it only happens after the car has been sitting for a while and when taking a sharp turn. Sometimes it happens in reverse, sometimes even accelerating straight. I recently had lowering springs put on, but the issue wasn't there with them. Only right after the torque converter was replaced.

I brought it back today and illustrated it to the service manager, we let the car sit for a half hour and came out and were able to duplicated it. The mechanics had no clue and they want me to bring it in Wednesday and leave it there. That's all the info I have so far.
10/18/2011 (2000)
10/18/2011 (2500)
10/18/2011 (3000) TPW 11/7
10/29/2011 (3100,3300)
11/01/2011 (3400)
11/08/2011 (3800)
11/09/2011 (4B00)
11/14/2011 (4200)
11/18/2011 (4800)
11/21/2011 (5000)
VoodooVyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
SN69SH

Thanks all. I knew was not insane. lol I have tried a couple of things but nothing has worked thus far. The dealer here in town cannot duplicate either but I drive 20 miles to get there which leads me to believe highly that it is associated with temprature. Pretty much have to bring it back and leave it over night. I travel a lot so I have to find the time.

I did do some research on te brakes thinking maybe there was something there. I found some other threads here about the brake squeaking (I am sorry I am like a dog with bone with this stuff). The brake issues is inherent to Brembo I guess they are primarily built to appease the European region and they like the noise and squeak. Whatever it was bugging me and I thought maybe it would help fix this rubbing issue. Well no more squeaking of the brakes but am still getting the rubbing sounds.

To fix the brake issue: I have no idea if this is the proper term it is what I read in the forum. Bedded or bedding the brakes. To do this (in case you have the squeak and do not like it) Warm the wheels up driving like 10 mins. (in Texas it only takes like 2.5 mins, jk) Accelerate to 70 mph and drop it back to 20. No gentle braking lock em up. Accelerate to 60 mph and again drop it down to 20, 50, to 20, 40 to 20. The other posts indicated only one cycle but I did it twice. And a helpful tip if you have a purse on the front seat you should zip it up, I neglected to so. lol Not to state the obvious but you will want to do this on a relatively smooth and relatively empty road. I do think I freaked a couple of people out. My bad. It was fun though.

Back to rubbing sound I am still monitoring this forum and a few other boards. I do plan to submit a complaint to NHTSA for whatever that is worth. I do promise it will be more informative than some of the others I have read.

To Dannykay there are several TSBs on the 2011 model. The link I posted in the initial post is the official site and you can search by year/make/model. That said I do see some folks posting the full bulletins and I have not committed any funds to pull this data completely. What you can get for free is the description and the number. You can request research, I just have not had to do that thus far. The notices for the 2011 are:

Make : CHEVROLET Model : CAMARO Year : 2011
Manufacturer : General Motors LLC
Service Bulletin Number : PIC-5551-A Date of Bulletin : DEC 01, 2011
NHTSA Item Number : 10043012
Component : ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL
Summary :
CHEVROLET: SOME MODEL YEAR VEHICLES ARE EXPERIENCING A DROP/SPIKE IN SPEED ON ANY WHEEL SPEED SENSOR AFTER NOISE, RATCHET, GRIND, OR ABS PUMP MOTOR, WAS HEARD, FROM FRONT OF VEHICLE. *PE

Service Bulletin Number : PIC-5551-A Date of Bulletin : DEC 01, 2011
NHTSA Item Number : 10043012
Component : TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM
Summary :
CHEVROLET: SOME MODEL YEAR VEHICLES ARE EXPERIENCING A DROP/SPIKE IN SPEED ON ANY WHEEL SPEED SENSOR AFTER NOISE, RATCHET, GRIND, OR ABS PUMP MOTOR, WAS HEARD, FROM FRONT OF VEHICLE. *PE

Service Bulletin Number : PI-0137A Date of Bulletin : FEB 01, 2011
NHTSA Item Number : 10038346
Component : SUSPENSION:REAR:AXLE:NON-POWERED AXLE ASSEMBLY
Summary :
GM: WHEN MAKING LOW SPEED TURNS THERE MAY BE A CHATTER NOISE FROM THE REAR OF THE VEHICLE. THERE IS A SLIP/STICK OF THE CLUTCH PLATES. THE 2010-2011 CAMARO. *RM

This one looks concerning to me:
Service Bulletin Number : SB-11227 Date of Bulletin : AUG 01, 2011
NHTSA Item Number : 10041529
Component : SERVICE BRAKES, ELECTRIC
Summary :
CHEVROLET: BASE WARRANTY EXPIRES ON ELECTRONIC BRAKE CONTROL MODULE CALIBRATION. INVENTORY SERVICE UPDATE. *PE

I did not read all of them so there may be others. But these are the ones I have seen on here. Here is a link to all of them specific for 2011. If it does not open(I am pretty sure it won't) use the link I posted in the first message and click on service bulletins on the left navigation panel and then search by vehicle in the center of the page. Be sure to check the box after you select model to display the summary. (Select this check box if you would like to see a full summary output on the search result page. Otherwise, the summary for each case will be available as a link.)

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/results.cfm

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/index.cfm

Old 09-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
SN69SH

Here is the other thread. It is pretty long and seems to bounce from front noise to rear noise and 2012 to 2011...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248328
Old 09-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
VoodooVyper

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 1LT/RS
I posted this in the other thread, figured it may be helpful here:

So I got a call today from the dealership about the status of this, they said that the source of the noise was a heat shield near the exhaust? They said sometimes when they take the exhaust off to get to the transmission to do the torque converter, that when putting it back together can be too tight or some nonsense. Sort of strange that I'm hearing this noise from the passenger side wheel that others are explaining pretty much verbatim, and it turns out to be something totally unrelated...
10/18/2011 (2000)
10/18/2011 (2500)
10/18/2011 (3000) TPW 11/7
10/29/2011 (3100,3300)
11/01/2011 (3400)
11/08/2011 (3800)
11/09/2011 (4B00)
11/14/2011 (4200)
11/18/2011 (4800)
11/21/2011 (5000)
VoodooVyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
SN69SH

Thank you. I will give it a try although I have never had any exhaust work done I have barely driven the car. I am almost to the point of giving up. My frustration is probably making it worse than it really is but when it is to the point where the car is no longer fun to drive, (because I cannot trust the performance) it is an issue for me. For $50k I expect it to be defect free or at least know what is wrong and willing and able to fix the issue. Thanks again.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Thank you. I will give it a try although I have never had any exhaust work done I have barely driven the car. I am almost to the point of giving up. My frustration is probably making it worse than it really is but when it is to the point where the car is no longer fun to drive, (because I cannot trust the performance) it is an issue for me. For $50k I expect it to be defect free or at least know what is wrong and willing and able to fix the issue. Thanks again.
I apologize for the frustrations you may be experiencing with your vehicle. Just let us know what your dealership was able to do for you!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 09-25-2012, 12:39 AM   #10
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:

About the car:

Currently has 2500 miles
Pirelli P-Zero tires:

Hey man I have the same problem and I recently started a thread on it.. just go to my profile then my statistics and locate it that way if interested. But anyways my noise if is the same as yours is happening ONLY with sharp right turns, I can not make it happen with left sharp turns or any other way. The noise sounds like something is broke or rubbing, could also be described as a knocking or clunking noise that happens through 90 percent of the turn.
Anyways in about 8 hours from now it goes to the Stealership and I will be posting my results/findings on my thread if you would like to subscribe.
I love this car and it will be fixed, good luck with your as well..
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #11
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS55 View Post
Hey man I have the same problem and I recently started a thread on it.. just go to my profile then my statistics and locate it that way if interested. But anyways my noise if is the same as yours is happening ONLY with sharp right turns, I can not make it happen with left sharp turns or any other way. The noise sounds like something is broke or rubbing, could also be described as a knocking or clunking noise that happens through 90 percent of the turn.
Anyways in about 8 hours from now it goes to the Stealership and I will be posting my results/findings on my thread if you would like to subscribe.
I love this car and it will be fixed, good luck with your as well..

Forgot to ask you yesterday bro: Was it making the noise before you had your catback installed? One of the folks above posted that the heat sheilds can get out of whack when the exhaust is changed. Hopefully it is something simple like that

Txt me when you figure out what's going on.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #12
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSSUNAMI View Post
Forgot to ask you yesterday bro: Was it making the noise before you had your catback installed? One of the folks above posted that the heat sheilds can get out of whack when the exhaust is changed. Hopefully it is something simple like that

Txt me when you figure out what's going on.
Hey bro! Yeah it very well could be cause I'm not sure the noise was there before install. I do know one thing I love this car and all but when I had my mustang's I never was in for problems, never!!!!!...that's all 6 of them that I had by the way, lol....
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #13
SN69SH

At this point I give up. Dealer said they do not know what the issue is or how to fix it. I am not willing to let them just tinker around with it in the hope of figuring it out. It is not my imagination when you neighbor from across the street (who is like 70 btw) asks you what is the noise coming from your new car it is flat out embarrassing. It used to be I was excited about driving the car now I check to make sure no one is outside when I leave. That said I am not really in a position to do much about it now that I am out $50k. lol (not really funny I know) It will have to wait till I have more time to get rid of it. I have officially removed my name from the 2014 ZL1 allocation list. Not risking another 10-20k I am sure it is ok GM has enough customers they won't miss me.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #14
gto-locke

Drives: 1971 GTO, 2011 - Camaro IPC
Steering Noise/rubbing

I have a simular noise coming from the front end. Occurs at slow speeds turning right or left (mostly right). Sounds like the tires are rubbing (but no signs of rubbing). The car is completely stock and has around 3,000 miles.

2011 - 2SS - Convt

3/5/11 - Deposit on Pace Car
3/22/11 - Pace Car built
3/25/11 - shipped
3/30/11 - Rail car arrived/departed Gibbson IN
4/4/11 - Car arrived on rail (Phoenix)
4/7/11 - Picked up car

Last edited by gto-locke; 10-13-2012 at 02:48 PM.
gto-locke is offline   Reply With Quote