The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #57
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Performance View Post
Just talked to my wife.. she is spending $300 month on gas.. I wonder what the same would be in the Volt. She commutes 30-35 miles one way and then back.... I need to seriously crunch some numbers.. can this freaking car actually pay for itself in her case? They have one about 30 miles way as well at Tonkin?
Well, she would be doing more than 35 a day, which is probably when the gas would kick in.

Now, something I would consider if I ever decided to get one is to ask my place of employment whether they would help by rigging a 220 outlet to some part of the parking lot to allow charging while at work. If you could manage that, as well as the 220 in your garage to charge there as well, apparently the charge times are a lot faster...and you could theoretically double your range per day by charging your car on both ends of the commute.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #58
zandron263

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM Convertible
My wife and I talked about a Volt last summer as its release date was in line with the lease expiration on her Trailblazer. She could have made her daily commute on all electric. Then we heard that the Camaro Convertible was also being released and we always wanted a convertible and fell in love with the Camaro and bought it instead. The price difference between the two was not that much so we could have gone either way. Once the Camaro is paid off I am planning on keeping it. After that I will definitely consider a Volt if it is still around and maybe by then the technology will improve and prices may get lower as well.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:05 PM   #59
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Well, she would be doing more than 35 a day, which is probably when the gas would kick in.

Now, something I would consider if I ever decided to get one is to ask my place of employment whether they would help by rigging a 220 outlet to some part of the parking lot to allow charging while at work. If you could manage that, as well as the 220 in your garage to charge there as well, apparently the charge times are a lot faster...and you could theoretically double your range per day by charging your car on both ends of the commute.
That would be pretty awesome.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #60
gto-locke

Drives: 1971 GTO, 2011 - Camaro IPC
Test drove the Volt this week while waiting on my pace car to be prepped for delivery. That is a cool car... drives like any other car...but uses electricity.

Nice job GM

3/5/11 - Deposit on Pace Car
3/22/11 - Pace Car built
3/25/11 - shipped
3/30/11 - Rail car arrived/departed Gibbson IN
4/4/11 - Car arrived on rail (Phoenix)
4/7/11 - Picked up car
gto-locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #61
kwicslvr

Drives: Waiting to see a vert in person
I'm seriously considering one. I have a 47 mile comute one way then work a 12 hour shift. Outlets everywhere for us to use.
kwicslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #62
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
I actually did a college research paper on hybrid/electric cars, there is SO much information out there that many people don't know about them that would persuade most normal people, and even the super hippie environmentalists NOT to get one, for example, in a gas mileage test only 3 of the hybrids on the market beat high mileage 4 bangers, or diesels, and only 2 of them had a better green score. Granted, the volt wasn't tested because it wasn't on the market yet. Most of this hybrid electric stuff is BS marketing schemes. I'm not going to post all of that information because it would be a wall of text.

I was against the cars before the paper, but after, well it was just more ammunition lol.

Anyway, I would never drive one... and DEFINITELY would never trade a car like the camaro or mustang for one, I personally am in a position that I can afford gas even at the stupid prices it is at, with no problems. But a worst case scenario I would pick up a high MPG gasoline or diesel car for a daily.

I know the thread has been leaning more towards the volt, but if you go Tesla, you would have to buy one of those charging stations.. from empty on a regular house plug it takes 16 hours to charge. So a charging station is almost a must, and they ain't cheap.
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #63
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
Its 12 hrs on a 110 4 hrs on 220 for charge time, I wonder how much battery/miles that would get a person .. if the car just needs to run the gas engine for say 10 miles to get it home then we're talking very minimal gas use.. As long as you can plug it in at work.... AND I wonder how solar can help in that area... they make cells now like printed circuit boards, they aren't as effective but they do work and your really just looking to supplement not a total supply system..... Plus if I can get it to work out good for my wife I'll be looking to mod the car as well and will develop things for it.
First mod is the !price mod. 41k sticker is insane and not affordable to the people who need the car and the savings the most.
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote