The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 05-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #15
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
It's possible the hole is only on export cars. Or my information source could be wrong too. That little cover plate is the only location that makes sense for a tow hook location on the entire car, but I'll look into it further and report here what I find .
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #16
purpleRac3r

A little looking around my car this evening revealed a couple of things. The little cover on the rear fascia does indeed cover access to a tow hook mount - the bracket just isn't installed on north american cars. There is also a mounting location on the front. One of the grill inserts is removeable and has an access hole behind it. Again, it seems we don't actuallt get the bracket here. I will see if I can find part numbers at my dealer this week, and let you all know.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

Old 05-30-2014, 07:38 PM   #17
purpleRac3r

Ok, here's what I found out today. The tow eye (that's what it's called in GM's computer system) is indeed only on export cars. The parts counter guy had to turn off all filters so it would even show up. He also could not find any part numbers, so it's possible the U.S. system lists different inventory than those in other countries. As for mounting, in the rear it is supposed to be accessed through the little cover plate in the rear fascia. Export cars have a bracket/receiver welded to the impact bar in that spot. North American cars do not have it. Unfortunately, since our frame is all aluminum, it would be a fair bit more challenging to install a factory bracket, should you even be able to locate one. TIG welding is the only good way to handle it, and you would have to remove the lower fascia for access. As for front access, there appears to be a threaded hole or insert in the front impact bar on the passenger side, behind the upper grille opening second from the end. If you look through the grill you can see the round spot where it would go, and it matches the location on the exploded parts diagram I got from the parts guy. It looks as if there is a plastic cap over the hole, but I didn't have a chance to see if it could be removed, as it has been storming here most of the day, and my car is out in the weather 24/7. Note: that particular portion of the grill is actually a separate piece, and pops out with a little care and effort. I assume this was specific for allowing access to the tow eye mounting point. If the weather clears up any tomorrow or Sunday, I will see if I can get the cover off the front hole. Hopefully, the threaded hole or insert is already in place, and all we have to do is get a tow eye to fit the threads. The rear isn't impossible, but would take some effort to track down a receiver/bracket, then have it welded in place. Perhaps the aftermarket can step up and help us out there. Or a member located in Europe, Asia or the Middle East could help with photos or part numbers.

It's not much information, I know, but it's more than we had yesterday. Hope it helps!

Old 05-30-2015, 12:46 AM   #18
Andy13

Drives: 2015 Stingray Z51
Haven't seen anything recent posted about tow hooks for the C7, but having just faced this issue, I thought I'd post an update. I just purchased a 2015 Z51 which has threaded mounts for tow hooks both front and rear. My dealer took quite a while to find the part, but finally succeeded when he searched using the VIN for a Z06. I don't know if he just didn't look in the right place for the Z51, or if the part only shows for the Z06. I also don't know if the car changed between the 2014 cars and 2015 model. Anyway, I'm waiting for it to arrive. I'm apparently the first to ask about this for the dealer. Not that I intend to use it, but I'm going to Watkins Glen in June and I'd hate to have to tow the car without a hook!
Andy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:07 PM   #19
MDMason

Drives: 2014 LE 1
Would you mind sharing the GM part number in the event someone else would want to order one?
MDMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:02 PM   #20
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6

https://www.zl1addons.com/index.php/...ow-hook-detail
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:42 AM   #21
Andy13

Drives: 2015 Stingray Z51
Sorry, I don't have the part number. But the GM part was over $100 and the aftermarket hook above looks like a better bet. I saw some of these at the track and they seem to work fine. They also look better (if that matters).
Andy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:41 PM   #22
Faulkner

Drives: 2500HD 2016 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
I also have the ZL1addons tow hooks. Hopefully that means I will never have to use them. Quality product.
Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote