The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-13-2007, 12:42 AM   #1
SulphurDave

Drives: N/A
I signed up finally!

Sorry but this might be a little rambling but it's my story for those who want to read it. I've been checking this site seems like a year now getting updates on the new Camaro but just never registered until now. I'm just really excited about this car.

I'm 28 and I grew up with my Dad who had a couple of 69 Camaros back in the day when I was about 5 years old. He ended up selling them but growing up he always reminded me of them and I always had a soft spot for those 69s. Well I grew up and eventually got into imports... boosted imports. Right now I drive a 2006 Acura RSX Type-S fixing to be twin-screw supercharged. But anyway... my Father recently passed away and I ended up getting his old 84 Chevy P/U truck that he's had since it was brand new off the lot. I decided to build a hot rod out of it in memory of him. A long time ago I made a license plate for him to put on his truck but he never put it on because it looked so nice. It was a picture of his old car and it read, "My Other Car is a 69 Camaro". Well after getting the truck painted I put the plate on the truck and that's where it's staying. I bought a 72 Nova drag racing car with a fully built 383 / TH350 and Ford 9" rear end and I swapped everything over to the truck. Now I'm getting that V8 fever.

Every since I found out about how they are bringing back the Camaro and how it's styled after the 69s I have been getting excited. So excited that I have decided to join the dark side. I'm getting this car when it comes out no doubt about it. Not only because I like how it resembles the 69s but because I will feel like I have a peice of my Dad with me being that he drove a Camaro when he was my age and I am taking after him.

Here's some pics of my truck (my Dad's old truck)

The license plate...

The way it sits now...

A quick photoshop of it lowered with wheels / tires...

A shot of the motor just being put in...

SulphurDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 02:07 AM   #2
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Good story SulpherDave and welcome to the site. I never got to experience those days w/ Dad growing up. The parents split when I was 7. My dad had either an old Camaro or Firebird...I don't remember which but need to look for that one single pic of the car. I would have loved to turn wrenches w/ him, talk cars, and heck...a lot of other stuff too. I've got a 2 year old boy and another on the way. I plan on doing as much as I can w/ my boy in the Camaro area. He's already saying Chevy, Camaro, and SS when he sees my car.

I like the chopped pic of the lowered truck. Are there plans in the near future to drop it? It's amazing what lowering and adding wheels can do for a truck! Looks great!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:29 AM   #3
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Welcome to the site! Nice to have you aboard!!!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:15 AM   #4
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Hi Dave, thanks for sharing the warm story behind your aspirations for the new Camaro. Welcome to the community!
Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
SulphurDave

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Yes I plan on doing a 4 link / coilover setup welded to that Ford 9" rear end. It has 410 gears and a strange spool in it. It's a bit narrowed so I'm going to be tubbing the rear fenders a little to fit some really wide wheels under there. It'll be lowered too eventually. I'm taking my time with it and doing it right. Meanwhile saving money for a big down payment on the Camaro. Can't wait!
Old 09-09-2007, 12:22 AM   #6
SulphurDave

Here's a video of it running open headers after we installed all the fuel lines.

Finally got my dash shaved, glassed and painted.

Here's a pic of the bed where I cut out the fenders to fit some meat back there. I'm having the factory fenders widened to keep somewhat of a factory look.

I finally got an exhaust put on. 2.5" pipe, 2.5" 2-chamber Flowmaster mufflers, cut-outs (dumps) and the tailpipes come down and 45'ed before the axle tube. So much more quiet now. Now... I need wheels/tires, I need to lower the front 4" (2" spindles & 2" coils?), front shocks, get rear fender tubs made, spray-in liner the inside of the bed, wire up all my AutoMeter gauges and mount the cluster bezel, install sport mirrors, new windshield and an inspection sticker. That should put me back on the road.

Here's another video with an exhaust. And yes I know it's running really rich. The carb needs to be jetted down and tuned.

SulphurDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:47 AM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Very Nice Work! Excellent sounds, too.

n00b question WARNING: What kind of tranny is that? Auto, or sequential...or something I've never heard of....
Old 09-09-2007, 12:50 AM   #8
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Wink

oh great, what the forum needs, another Dave

just kidding, welcome to the site
Old 09-09-2007, 01:03 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
I know, right? We don't even like the one we've got now....

You know I'm just razzin' you...
Old 09-09-2007, 01:34 AM   #10
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
yo.

Quote:
i call you marty. lol
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:16 AM   #11
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
WOW!!! You're getting a lot done on that. LOVE the dash. Keep posting pix as the progress continues. Can't wait to see how she's gonna turn out!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:15 AM   #12
SulphurDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Very Nice Work! Excellent sounds, too.

n00b question WARNING: What kind of tranny is that? Auto, or sequential...or something I've never heard of....
a built th350 auto w/ pro ratchet shifter on the floor converted from column shift

Quote:
oh great, what the forum needs, another Dave just kidding, welcome to the site
thanks again for the welcome. i've been lurking around for a year or so now and started this thread in january. i mostly come here to just read though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
WOW!!! You're getting a lot done on that. LOVE the dash. Keep posting pix as the progress continues. Can't wait to see how she's gonna turn out!
thanks! i'm most likely going to get some foose wheels built for it. i've been looking at getting 20x12 with a 13.5" section width tire for the rear and run 18s in the front for a staggered look.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:00 AM   #13
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Kick ass truck.

Welcome.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:34 PM   #14
SulphurDave

Finally got the carburetor issue solved with the QuickFuel 750. Slapped it on, took the front jets out of the Holley and put'em in the Q/F, adjusted the linkage, 1 1/2 turns from base on the 4-corner idle... cranked right up ran great. I'm still gonna put a light on it to make sure the timing is right but I think it runs way better than it did and starts up easier.