Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
SS17

Drives: 2017 hyper blue ss
New SS owner

Good morning everyone, Long time mopar guy here, just picked up a 2017 SS, beautiful car, great lines, handles amazing, only thing I don't like is how slow it is off the line, I only have 260 miles, not sure if there is a break in period , but I'm not really impressed, I have heard about the VTS, and sounds great, but would like the feedback from you canaro 6 owners as to if it will work on a 2017.. Look forward to getting to know everyone....
SS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:40 AM   #2
TMasticTB91
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 1LT
Welcome to the forums and to the dark side!

In regards to a break-in period, there are a number of differing views on here, but the official word about break-in period is found on page 200 of the manual and lists the following:

Quote:
Follow these recommended guidelines during the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi) of driving this vehicle. Parts have a break-in period and performance will be better in the long run. For the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi):
  • Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops.
  • Do not exceed 4000 engine rpm.
  • Avoid driving at any one constant speed, fast or slow.
  • Do not drive above 129 km/h (80 mph).
  • Do not tow a trailer.
  • Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle when the engine speed will exceed 4,000 rpm.
  • Do not let the engine labor. Never lug the engine in highgear at low speeds. With a manual transmission, shift to the next lower gear. This rule applies at all times, not just during the break-in period.
  • Do not participate in racing events, sport driving schools, or similar activities during this break-in period.
  • Check engine oil with every refueling and add if necessary. Oil and fuel consumption may be higher than normal during the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi).
  • To break in new tires, drive at moderate speeds and avoid hard cornering for the first 322 km (200 mi). New tires do not have maximum traction and may tend to slip.
  • New brake linings also need a break-in period. Avoid making hard stops during the first 322 km (200 mi). This is recommended every time brake linings are replaced.
  • Should the vehicle be used for racing or competitive driving (after break-in), the rear axle lubricant must be replaced before hand.
Here's a link to the manual in PDF form. It's for the 2016 but I doubt anything changed for the 2017: https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...ro1stPrint.pdf
Old 08-24-2016, 09:53 AM   #3
SS17

Thank you....I have not been following that, the dealer I bought it from didn't say anything about it. To say the least, I haven't driven it easy every time... I have probably jumped into it about a dozen times. Looks like I need to take it a little easy... Has any one logged some miles on a 2017 ss with the vts...I think that's what I'm looking to add very very soon....
Old 08-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #4
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS17 View Post
Good morning everyone, Long time mopar guy here, just picked up a 2017 SS, beautiful car, great lines, handles amazing, only thing I don't like is how slow it is off the line, I only have 260 miles, not sure if there is a break in period , but I'm not really impressed, I have heard about the VTS, and sounds great, but would like the feedback from you canaro 6 owners as to if it will work on a 2017.. Look forward to getting to know everyone....
and is your car Auto or Manual, and are you aware of the different driving modes, perhaps one of those will help with your off the line experience.

I believe 0-60 in 4 seconds is pretty good, are you not able to experience this time?
Old 08-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #5
2008 corvette

Drives: 2008 corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS17 View Post
it just seems that way because of how firm the car is it goes zero to sixty in 4 seconds. plus wait until after break in put in sport mode go into competitive mode and.....wow
2008 corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:44 AM   #6
Disarmer

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE
You using premium gas? Regular will cause the engine to throttle its own power.
Disarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #7
SS17

I only have been using premium, I have found all the driving modes,, I keep the steering in sport, drive mode in tour ( softer ride ) and have pulled the fuse on the exhaust... Still waiting on feedback about the VTC
Old 08-24-2016, 11:37 AM   #8
DenverTaco07

search for Vitesse Throttle control in the forum and google, there is at least one video where guy has it installed in 2016 Camaro.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:14 PM   #9
lcarney1977

Drives: 2016 CAMARO SS
just get a custom tune and you will be all good.......
lcarney1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #10
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Be patient with her and put some good miles on before really hammering it. The engine will loosen up over time. Enjoy your new ride!
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:20 PM   #11
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Doesn't drive mode in tour result in softened throttle response? I read that here but can't confirm it.

I daily drive I sport with exhaust set of to track. I change to tour only on bad roads, otherwise sport is comfortable enough

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:24 PM   #12
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I think there might be some confusion here.

I think what the OP is talking about is Throttle response. Not how fast the car gets from 0 - 60, or A to B

That SS will run with or beat any prior (stock) mopar he's had....unless maybe it was the Hellcat. But the Challengers are known for a strong throttle response that the SS doesn't seem to have quite as much.

This is all in the tuning.

So yes, the VTC, or a custom tune will cure your issues. But unless your car has issues, it ain't slow.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:25 PM   #13
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Doesn't drive mode in tour result in softened throttle response? I read that here but can't confirm it.

I daily drive I sport with exhaust set of to track. I change to tour only on bad roads, otherwise sport is comfortable enough
Yes drive mode changes the "Electronic throttle progression"
Snow /Ice is one level called "Snow / Ice" = least aggressive
Tour and Sport is "Normal" Level = mid aggressive
Track is "Track" level = most aggressive

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...maro/2016.html
Old 08-24-2016, 12:30 PM   #14
ChrisCoffey

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I think there might be some confusion here.

I think what the OP is talking about is Throttle response. Not how fast the car gets from 0 - 60, or A to B

That SS will run with or beat any prior (stock) mopar he's had....unless maybe it was the Hellcat. But the Challengers are known for a strong throttle response that the SS doesn't seem to have quite as much.

This is all in the tuning.

So yes, the VTC, or a custom tune will cure your issues. But unless your car has issues, it ain't slow.
Just to reiterate what he said another possibility is that the car is so smooth getting to its speed that you don't feel it jerking you all over like most cars. I was going along the other day cruising on the interstate and just got into zone mode then looked down realizing im going almost 120(I can neither confirm or deny this though at the current time). It felt like i was doing 70. It could be like KM said and its the throttle response which yes the VTC and tune is wonderful.