The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 07-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
Richardlord

Drives: Dodge Magnum RT Hemi AWD
My Mods

I have made several mods, and even reversed one - that last.
The following are my mods and some with pics. While I shall list my OEM mods, I shall not show them. Some mods are OEM, and others are not.
Glen e wisely suggested to me some time ago that mods, if not OEM, should appear as such, and be OEM quality. I took that advice. With one minor mod exception, that I got from Z51Stingray, that does not appear OEM, but is great.
My mods:
1. OEM Corvette Tire Valve Stem Covers
2. OEM Stingray Trunk Bed Cover
3. Non-OEM Carbon Fiber Rear License Plate Border Cover (not really worth it as it is hard to discern, unless you get it for a low price, as I did).
4. Non-OEM License plate sticker
These mods I made all by me, myself, and I (this is a great opportunity for snide remarks – don’t miss it).
5. I followed the advice by Z51Stingray, and others, and changed out myself the Maryland required front license plate bracket with the OEM Aero Plate, with my personalized plate, and with Z51Stingray’s great mod of skull license plate bolt covers. Mine have red eyes to match my C7 exterior color. This is the obviously non-OEM mod, but is great. I am sure others shall disagree. This actually took some creativity and work, as in drilling, to accomplish.
The remaining mods I had my dealer make at a cost of $800. My dealer, Winegardner, said it would make these mods at a reduced labor cost to compensate me by $332 to make up the difference for the remaining amount GM screwed (actually Winegardner) me in shorting me on Price Protection. You all say Winegardner screwed me, not GM, and while no augment from me, we shall not revisit that, and you decide if my dealer made up the $332 that it says GM screwed me.
First, I purchased from the Winegardner Parts Department, and its Service Department installed:
6. OEM Front and Rear Splash Guards
7. OEM Stingray Trunk Lid Liner (could have installed myself)
8. OEM Stingray Under Hood Liner (could have installed myself)
And non-OEM parts that I supplied:
9. Two peal-and-stick non-OEM Z51 badges that took maybe 5 minutes each side to install for $80. I could and would have installed them myself, as anyone could, but I wanted to see what Winegardner charged me.
10. Non-OEM Carbon Fiber Tape to cover the front grill chrome “retainer” strip.
11. Lashway Carbon Fiber Side Skirts and Front Splitter that were simple bolt-ons and required no cutting or drilling.
12. Hurst Shifter that takes no more than 2 ½ hrs. to install (I later took out the Hurst shifter and had another mod specialty shop reinstall the OEM shifter for $200).
As for the Hurst shifter, while advertised as having a 30% throw reduction, it did not shift as easily or as true as the OEM (for me and maybe different for you). With all things being equal or better with the Hurst, so I hoped, what I really wanted from the Hurst was the black ball as opposed to the golf club handle of the OEM. What I really don’t like about the OEM shifter is the two rows of stitching on the back side of the shifter head. I shift a lot, and with the palm and heal of my hand, and the stitching is an irritant to the heal of my hand such as I notice it, which one should not. I like a ball as it far less restricts wrist and hand movement. I like the feel of a ball and that it allows free movement of the wrist and hand whereas the golf club style handle restricts movement – but that maybe is just me going back to my youth when I shifted a Hurst 4-on-the-floor with ball handle. As a compromise, I ordered a black ball non-OEM shifter handle to replace the OEM. I did love the Hurst black ball in feel, but not its shifting capabilities. The OEM shifter was specifically designed for the C7, and the shifting is great, but shall be better yet with a black ball.
The following are my mod pics.
Attached Images

Last edited by Richardlord; 07-27-2014 at 03:42 AM.
Richardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
GeoC
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 C7 LT2 Z51 Coupe
Only C7 I have seen with a front license
plate.
GeoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:44 PM   #3
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Looks great! I really like the Lashway splitter & skirts. I would think about one more mod to complete the set: paint the front aero plate carbon flash black to match the grill, mirrors and rear spoiler. The unpainted piece is a touch grayish, will eventually fade even more gray, and honestly looks a little cheap above that awesome carbon fiber splitter.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:55 AM   #4
Richardlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoC View Post
Only C7 I have seen with a front license
plate.
Unfortunately, we have to have it in Maryland, and there are other states that also require a front plate. So, dressed it up a bit.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:57 AM   #5
Richardlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleRac3r View Post
Looks great! I really like the Lashway splitter & skirts. I would think about one more mod to complete the set: paint the front aero plate carbon flash black to match the grill, mirrors and rear spoiler. The unpainted piece is a touch grayish, will eventually fade even more gray, and honestly looks a little cheap above that awesome carbon fiber splitter.
The Lashway nicely frames the red. Probably also would look great on a white C7. Maybe not so great on a black or dark color C7. I am really pleased with them and the Lashway folks. Thanks for the tip on painting the Aero Plate.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
GeoC
Account Suspended

We are required a front license plate
in Texas however given how it makes
the front look no one puts on the plate.
Yes subject to a fine if caught, but
Local and state police ignore the missing
Plate. Guess they are too busy admiring
the car. Even if fined I will not put on
a plate. Think it really looks bad but that
is just me.
GeoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
Richardlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoC View Post
We are required a front license plate
in Texas however given how it makes
the front look no one puts on the plate.
Yes subject to a fine if caught, but
Local and state police ignore the missing
Plate. Guess they are too busy admiring
the car. Even if fined I will not put on
a plate. Think it really looks bad but that
is just me.
In switching to the Aero Plate, while preparing it, I had the other plate off for a bit with no front plate or bracket. Was in a convenience store and a local constabulary came up to me and said he liked my C7 and told me he could write me a ticket for no front plate. He then said to consider this a warning and to get a plate. I see this guy around and that is when I put on the front plate. And, as you all know, our C7s attract enough attention as it is, and best not draw unnecessary attention.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #8
GeoC
Account Suspended

Guess Texas law enforcement have
more important things to do than
your local constable. Showed your
pic to 20 vette guys who meet on
Sunday morning. They all said
no way would they put on a front
plate. Each to his own.