The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 07-24-2014, 01:15 PM   #1
Richardlord

Drives: Dodge Magnum RT Hemi AWD
CD Player

OK, so, if I ask who makes a portable CD player for a C7, that is a plug and play, such that I can play it in C7 sound system accessing my USB port, some of you shall lambast me for not getting past CDs. But, here's the problem. The wife and I in traveling listen to stories on CD from the local library. The C7 does not have a CD player, and we want to listen to library story CDs, and so we want to get a portable (not permanently mounted) CD player that we can plug into our C7 sound system via USB. Yes, maybe copy the stories to something I could use via my C7 USB port, but am sure my library would have a problem with that, and so we don't want to go there. So, again, without the slams about using a CD player, is there a portable CP player out there I can plug and play into my 3LT C7 sound system?
Richardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
What may be easier to find would be a portable CD player with the 3.5mm headphone jack. Mine is an Insignia but there a several available in its $20 price range. Goes through batteries every 30-40 hours of use but works well for me. You will also need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm connector; I had one on hand so do not know what one would cost.

Laborsmith

Bought at Best Buy but Radio Shack would also work

Last edited by laborsmith; 07-24-2014 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Correct the Brand name
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
OldSchool

Drives: 2014 LRG 2LT Z51 Stingray
Richard:

Do you own a smart phone? The OverDrive app (available on iPhone, Android, and Windows phones) allows you to download books (including audio books) from libraries that you have a library card for that have digital books available. I have the app on my iPad specifically to allow me to download digital books, but my library has tons of audio books available that will also play through the app.

I'm not sure if the audio system would allow you to listen to the audio books through either the bluetooth streaming option or by plugging the phone into the usb port, but if nothing else you can use the headphone jack, and if you already have the smart phone and a library card for a library system that offers digital and audio books then you can listen to the audio books for no investment at all. I'd simply check with your local library about their ability to loan you audio books through Overdrive Media Console.

Jim
OldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Listen to laborsmith...print out his response and take it to a radio shack, hand it to them....5 min later you'll be listening to CD'S in your car.

Any of the CD players like this will work:

http://www.amazon.com/Insignia-Porta...able+CD+player
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:32 AM   #5
Richardlord

Drives: Dodge Magnum RT Hemi AWD
I thank the three of you for your advice. Got the $20 Best Buy CD player and the appropriate wiring, and now am listing to CD audiobooks. A bit convoluted with an external CD player and wiring, but it works.
Richardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:01 AM   #6
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
Why not rip your books on CD to the computer and transfer them to the memory drive?

That's what I did with all my Lone Ranger and The Shadow radio plays since XM's Old Time Radio doesn't play them often enough for me.

BTW, are those books on CD dramatized? I think they'd be pretty boring if not.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote