The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-02-2016, 06:29 PM   #1
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Whisky (or whiskey) drinkers: what are you drinking right now?

I prefer scotch and my 'house brand' I suppose you'd say, would be Glenmorangie, a distillery in the Highlands near the town of Tain, poetically said to be a scotch made by the "Sixteen men of Tain".

Lately I have been away from Glenmorangie, enjoying Aberlour 12, and I have a soft spot for Highland Park 12 , Dalwhinnie 15, and one of the best all-rounders in my opinion, Balvenie's Doublewood, at 12 years. I have also been lucky enough to find scotch made in the region from which I get my name, but Blair Athol is rather rarely found in stores around here. Excellent though.

But I just found a bottle of one of my all time favorites, Glenmorangie's Nectar D'or. Aged in Bourbon casks and then Sauternes casks (an interesting, sweet French wine from Bordeaux), it bears a 12 year statement.

For my palate, a teaspoon of water does nicely with two fingers in a rocks glass. I dislike a snifter type glass for my scotch, as I have a pretty keen sense of smell and I find that type overloads my nose when I taste. I also feel like an ass when I have to jam half my face into a glass to taste what's in it. I cannot imagine my Highlander ancestors doing that, but I can imagine my Italian ancestors laughing about it. This scotch is non-chill filtered, which means it may get cloudy after sitting in the bottle, and some sediment may appear as well. But don't let that worry you. This is normal and chill filtering in many opinions (including mine) is best avoided if at all possible as it 'dulls' the overall experience in regards to scent taste and how the scotch behaves. Just turn the bottle over every couple of weeks.

Anyway. Golden in color. It smells of vanilla, honey, maybe almonds? Just a touch of citrus too, maybe a whiff of lemon.

Lightly sweet at first, coolly sweet when swallowed and then a small burst of a pleasant burn, with oaky warmth. Slight spicy undertones and taking a deep breath through my mouth after swallowing a taste is like another sip. The finish makes me take another taste. The burn is just enough to remind you its a scotch and the aftertaste is dry to my palate. Excellent after dinner scotch, or just for a relaxing glass after a long day's work like I'm doing now. I could drink half a bottle with a book, it's close to water as far as being hard to drink! It is a fairly complex scotch, but not complex in the manner of 'hard to appreciate'. More in the manner of 'let's have another sniff and another taste, and try to identify the flavors and scents'.

Nectar D'or means 'golden nectar' and it's my opinion that it lives up to that well. Recommended. I would not have it with a meal, I'd instead choose something like an Oban 14 or the Doublewood 12, especially if the meal was beef.

On the expensive side compared to some but I have paid more for less capable scotches; 63 bucks plus tax.

Last edited by ChrisBlair; 12-02-2016 at 06:43 PM.
ChrisBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:16 AM   #2
SS/RS2010

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Glen Livet for me.
SS/RS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:49 AM   #3
Bluecyclone

Drives: 2014 Cyclone mustang
I enjoyed a blended Teacher's or a single until I found out the recipes had been changed, it put me off so I quit scotch for a while. Is profit margin so important to these spirit companies that they abandon recipes now? Pure Greed!
Old 12-03-2016, 06:07 AM   #4
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Bluecyclone, if you compared a scotch from the year 1920 as they made it in 1920 with a modern example, it would be a different recipe than the same scotch made by the same company in say 2000.

But which single malt scotch are you referring to, and what changed, and how was the change a greedy bad thing? For example, chill filtering is a thing that has changed for the better at many distilleries.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:47 PM   #5
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
Sam Houston. Smoothest, easiest, drinking whiskey I've have ever had.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2016, 03:30 PM   #6
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
I have a bottle of The Macallan Cask Strength that I'm still nursing, slowly. My love is their 25 y/o... just can't drop that kind of money anymore. I remember when it was $200 a bottle.

Your suggestions, especially Balvenie's Doublewood are great! I do like Highland Park very much.

I have a soft spot for Blanton's Single Barrel Bourbon too...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:40 PM   #7
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Ah. The Macallan. A very good bottle.

If you like The Macallan, try Glenfarclas. Ten years or so ago I was speaking with a gentleman that runs a liquor store in Boston, and he has dozens of bottles open for tasting, if you're serious about it. I ended up dropping...oh about 200 bucks on a bottle of cask strength Blair Athol!

But he told me, and I agree, that Glenfarclas is very much in the house style of The Macallan but is much less expensive (I stopped buying The Macallan as well). He also mentioned that the people at The Macallan were saying Glenfarclas might be the best scotch in Scotland- at least at that time.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:40 PM   #8
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel441 View Post
Sam Houston. Smoothest, easiest, drinking whiskey I've have ever had.
I may chase that down just to have on my shelf.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:43 PM   #9
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
The Balvenie
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:52 PM   #10
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Ah. The Macallan. A very good bottle.

If you like The Macallan, try Glenfarclas. Ten years or so ago I was speaking with a gentleman that runs a liquor store in Boston, and he has dozens of bottles open for tasting, if you're serious about it. I ended up dropping...oh about 200 bucks on a bottle of cask strength Blair Athol!

But he told me, and I agree, that Glenfarclas is very much in the house style of The Macallan but is much less expensive (I stopped buying The Macallan as well). He also mentioned that the people at The Macallan were saying Glenfarclas might be the best scotch in Scotland- at least at that time.
Thanks for the tip... $200 is in my wheel house for something special. I dropped $75 on the Cask Strength, which is a pretty amazing scotch for that price. I think you can get their 12 y/o for ~$200 now, IIRC.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:32 PM   #11
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

I knew that the Water of Life folks were hereabouts
Old 12-05-2016, 05:53 PM   #12
billscamaros

Drives: 1999 Camaro Z28, 1969 Camaro RS
I currently have Woodford Reserve bourbon and Jameson Irish whiskey in my cabinet. Finished the Markers Mark off this past weekend. There's also a bottle of Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum.
billscamaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:02 PM   #13
arod55
AROD55

Drives: 1955 Chevy Bel Air Hardtop
I got a bottle of 7 year old Tennessee Bourbon with the Costco Kirkland brand and it very good with a little bit. 103 proof.
arod55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:12 PM   #14
3 SS's

Drives: Chevelle SS's
I'm a Kentucky Bourbon man myself, this isn't right now, but it was Friday nights sampling.
22 yr old Orphan Barrel Rhetoric....some fine bourbon

Last edited by 3 SS's; 12-05-2016 at 07:30 PM.
3 SS's is offline   Reply With Quote