The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray vs...

Old 11-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #1
speeddemonta

Drives: Trans Am
2017 Corvette Grand Sport OR the 2017 Camaro ZL1

Now that the order form and pricing has been determined by GM for both the 2017 Corvette Grand Sport and the 2017 Camaro ZL1 which car would you purchase and why??

It appears to me that the ZL1 Camaro MAY BE the best all around car for the money. However, I realize that the decision and analysis might be somewhat subjective.

I am interested in everyone's opinion and analysis.

THANKS
speeddemonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:46 PM   #2
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
I think it really depends on your intended use for the vehicle. If you want a fast car that is very good at everything but not the best at anything I'd get the ZL1. If you plan to use the car extensively for road course track days I'd get the Grand Sport with Z07 package. I think the Grand Sport will be a better platform for track use being naturally aspirated and quite a bit lighter (about 500 lbs lighter). This weight difference will be huge on road courses.

If you just plan to do a track day or two a year for fun and then hit the drag strip then I think the ZL1 would be your best car. The ZL1 will run very fast at the drag strip and still run very fast on the road course.

For me my next car will either be a 5th gen Z/28, 6th Gen 1LE, C7 Grand Sport or 6th gen Z/28 (once we actually know what that is). I'm waiting so I know what all the vehicle options are and prices before picking one. But I want to do Autocross (both high and low speed) and Road Course track days with my cars. So I'm looking for naturally aspirate and lighter weight. If I did more drag strip stuff I'd really look at the ZL1 but I just think that will be harder to keep in check on the road courses with heat build up, heat soak, and the added front end weight.

Don't get me wrong either, I'm not saying the ZL1 one is a bad performer on the road courses because the Nurburgring time definitely shows it's a great performer. That 10 speed trans is definitely attractive as well which is not available in the C7. The C7 is less weight though and that means it will be easier on the tires and brakes for road courses and more nimble for autocross where you don't get to use all 650 HP from the ZL1!
Old 11-21-2016, 04:15 AM   #3
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
Have you driven a new camaro ? The visceral experience is different bs c7
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:35 PM   #4
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
I think it really depends on your intended use for the vehicle. If you want a fast car that is very good at everything but not the best at anything I'd get the ZL1. If you plan to use the car extensively for road course track days I'd get the Grand Sport with Z07 package. I think the Grand Sport will be a better platform for track use being naturally aspirated and quite a bit lighter (about 500 lbs lighter). This weight difference will be huge on road courses.

If you just plan to do a track day or two a year for fun and then hit the drag strip then I think the ZL1 would be your best car. The ZL1 will run very fast at the drag strip and still run very fast on the road course.

For me my next car will either be a 5th gen Z/28, 6th Gen 1LE, C7 Grand Sport or 6th gen Z/28 (once we actually know what that is). I'm waiting so I know what all the vehicle options are and prices before picking one. But I want to do Autocross (both high and low speed) and Road Course track days with my cars. So I'm looking for naturally aspirate and lighter weight. If I did more drag strip stuff I'd really look at the ZL1 but I just think that will be harder to keep in check on the road courses with heat build up, heat soak, and the added front end weight.

Don't get me wrong either, I'm not saying the ZL1 one is a bad performer on the road courses because the Nurburgring time definitely shows it's a great performer. That 10 speed trans is definitely attractive as well which is not available in the C7. The C7 is less weight though and that means it will be easier on the tires and brakes for road courses and more nimble for autocross where you don't get to use all 650 HP from the ZL1!
I concur. Apples and Oranges...so OP ask yourself are you an Apple or orange guy???
Old 10-12-2017, 09:04 PM   #5
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Talking

The design of the Grand Sport is unparallel but the performance of the 6th gen ZL1 is above the GS even driving on street tires compared to the GS cup tires. In few words the ZL1 is the best car that GM has manufactured, just read all the magazine articles, they are amazed over the ZL1's performance
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:05 AM   #6
tiyaverma

Drives: Honda City VX
Awesome, Thanks for giving your powerful time to post such an impressive & valuable collection of up-to-date resources that are always of great need to everyone. Call Girl in Chandigarh I visit this blog the first time and inspire this excellent stuff to work.
tiyaverma is offline   Reply With Quote