Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-01-2006, 07:47 AM   #1
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
Camaro prototype on the road by Christmas

It looks like the new Camaro will be prowling the streets by Christmas 2006, but not on any roads in the USA. GM Holden will have hand built prototypes will be on roads in Australia for testing very soon...

See the article here: http://5thgencamaro.blogspot.com/
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:58 AM   #2
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
it also says that it will be out in early 08. and being built in late 07. lol. great stuff. good find.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:50 AM   #3
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
it also says that it will be out in early 08. and being built in late 07. lol. great stuff. good find.
I saw that too.... Very suspect.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
Hyperknight
Band.

Drives: 2016 2SS
heres to hoping that happens though!
Hyperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:59 PM   #5
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
I swear I have read everywhere that the Oshawa plant is committed to producing the current model (Impala I think) until late 08...
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:24 AM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
http://drive.com.au/Editorial/Articl...eID=21972&vf=2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:34 AM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

I would NOT rule out the possibility of seeing this vehicle on showroom floors in 4th quarter 08. As far as this ^ news, this is GREAT! You know what this means, right? This means we will be seeing spy shots of the Camaro shorty in the near future. I was told we would be seeing two things Camaro at the Jan 07 Detroit Auto Show. I was not told "what". I was just told "two things Camaro". Who knows, maybe we'll see something like a convertible and maybe it'll be a "finished" product. Jan is just around the corner!
Old 12-02-2006, 03:18 PM   #8
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I would NOT rule out the possibility of seeing this vehicle on showroom floors in 4th quarter 08. As far as this ^ news, this is GREAT! You know what this means, right? This means we will be seeing spy shots of the Camaro shorty in the near future. I was told we would be seeing two things Camaro at the Jan 07 Detroit Auto Show. I was not told "what". I was just told "two things Camaro". Who knows, maybe we'll see something like a convertible and maybe it'll be a "finished" product. Jan is just around the corner!
I'm beginning to think that article saying the Camaro will be available for sale in early 2008 is an error...
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:46 PM   #9
Betro02

Drives: Powerful
That is great news
Betro02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:48 AM   #10
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

I would be willing to put money on it that it won't be for sale in early 08. As always, I could be wrong. But I'm thinking that the earliest we could see this on showroom floors will be 4th quarter 08. It's slated for release 1st quarter 09. It all depends on how quickly GM can get their ducks in a row. They know...they want it out now just as badly as we do.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:22 AM   #11
StangStalker

Drives: 2008 Cobalt LT
We all know these companies like to push their cars out around September-October of the year prior to the announced release date....can only hope they do the same for the Camaro...although waiting would give me more time to have money set aside..
StangStalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:48 AM   #12
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangStalker View Post
...although waiting would give me more time to have money set aside..
We need a "word" smiley.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:01 PM   #13
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
I just believe they will have it out by summer 08 honestly. but either way I won't be able to get mine until 2010
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:58 PM   #14
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
2009 Chevrolet Camaro hitting the road Down Under
First prototypes finished before Christmas

By Joshua Dowling

Sharp-eyed Australians will see the 2009 Chevrolet Camaro before Americans. Engineers and designers working at GM's Holden headquarters in Melbourne, Australia, finished the first handbuilt Camaro prototypes just before Christmas. Some were due to be tested on Australian roads before the festive season.

Holden boss Denny Mooney told local media in late November: "We're building prototype Camaros right now. We should see some on the roads before Christmas." The Holden-based team has been given the responsibility of leading the final design, engineering, and development of the Camaro and the Detroit show star Camaro convertible, which use the same rear-drive Zeta vehicle architecture as the recently released Holden Commodore.

Highly regarded Korean-born U.S. designer Sang Yup has been working alongside Holden designers in Melbourne to do the final work on transforming the car from concept to reality. At this stage, there are plans to build the Camaro only in left-hand-drive for the U.S. and Canadian markets, but Mooney is on the record saying he'd like to sell the car in Australia.

Zeta came into being to support Holden's home-grown Commodore family of vehicles, which form the mainstay of GM sales in Australia. Aussies like roomy, rear drive sedans, and when Detroit went front drive in the 70s, the Holden engineers had no choice but to continue to do their own thing. Lucky for GM that they did, because without Holden, there's no way The General would be looking at producing a Camaro - and a rear drive Chevy Impala - by the end of the decade.

Zeta is a very versatile architecture. The front axle centerline on the Camaro is about 50mm further forward than it is on the Holden Commodore (and therefore the Pontiac G8, the lightly made-over Commodore sedan that will debut at the Chicago Show next month). The reason for this expensive change is that it allows the Camaro - and the Impala - to run 20-inch wheels without compromising steering lock. In fact, says one Holden source, 24s will fit.

Both the Camaro coupe and convertible concept are therefore very close to the production versions, say GM insiders. The roof of the coupe will be raised about 15mm for production, and the bodysides will be pulled in 5-10mm. But that's about it. What you see here at Detroit is basically what you're going to get in Chevy showrooms in 2009.

Cost has been a major issue for Camaro. But GM sources say entry level versions will retail from about $21,000. That's because they will use the cheap-to-build pushrod 3.9-liter V-6 as the entry level engine. Insiders say Tom Stephens' team at GM Powertrain has been working flat out to improve the refinement of the 3.9. Mated with the six speed - manual or automatic - it should be a much smoother package than the truck-like 4.0-liter V-6 that powers base Mustangs.
KILLER74Z28 is online now   Reply With Quote