Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-10-2015, 02:07 PM   #1
Scoop1977

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Just ordered my parts....

I'm new to the forum . I've had my 14' Camaro SS for a year and I just ordered Stainless Power longtubes w/hi flow cats, cold air inductions intake, the SCT vr4 tuner and had them put the free tune in it. I just ordered everything from Phastek . Any advice, heads up or anything would be appreciated. I'm hoping my Camaro will feel a lot different after its all done !
Scoop1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:55 PM   #2
camarohead

Drives: 2010 ss rs ls3 red-white rallys
Congrats...are you doing the install or a shop? Yea should definitely feel faster.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:15 PM   #3
Scoop1977

Attempting to do it myself. I've heard people say I should've got a dyno tune but I'm not professionally racing it . I mean what would I gain? 10 hp on a dyno ? Plus a dyno is a good ways away from me. It's hard for me to get away from work so convenience also plays a role. Also ordered 2 new cooper rs3 tires for the back. As the stock rear p zero's are wasted.... 7,000 miles later ��
Old 04-10-2015, 08:00 PM   #4
tekteq
HT5 in the 626

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop1977 View Post
Attempting to do it myself. I've heard people say I should've got a dyno tune but I'm not professionally racing it . I mean what would I gain? 10 hp on a dyno ? Plus a dyno is a good ways away from me. It's hard for me to get away from work so convenience also plays a role. Also ordered 2 new cooper rs3 tires for the back. As the stock rear p zero's are wasted.... 7,000 miles later ��
If you have an auto, a good tune can do a lot. I would suggest contacting Ted at Jannetty Racing to get a custom tune for your specific build put onto your SCT tuner. Doing this and datalogging is about the closest you can get to a dyno tune without spending the 500+ dollars. Ted's tunes are much better than the stock tunes the tuners come with.

Or for the best of the best, sell the sct and get a tune from Rhino @ GPI

2014 L99 Camaro 2SS/RS ~ Flowmaster American Thunder Catback ~ Cold Air Inductions CAI ~ VMAX Ported TB ~ ARH Catted LTs ~ Tuned by Ted @ JRE

A wise man once said, he who eats crackers in bed get crummy sleep.
tekteq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:01 AM   #5
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
You will feel the difference with the LTs and the sound is addictive.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:22 AM   #6
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
the tune is custom for your mods you bought from them correct?
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:36 AM   #7
bayarea408

Drives: T
tuning is soo much more than just a peak horsepower number. Driving characteristics, power band, and how the car acts over all is tremendously effected when tuning a vehicle.

BUT....this does require a competent tuner!!! a bad tuner is worse then the worst mail order off the shelf tune. :twocents:
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:23 AM   #8
avido

Drives: camaro ss\rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekteq View Post
If you have an auto, a good tune can do a lot. I would suggest contacting Ted at Jannetty Racing to get a custom tune for your specific build put onto your SCT tuner. Doing this and datalogging is about the closest you can get to a dyno tune without spending the 500+ dollars. Ted's tunes are much better than the stock tunes the tuners come with.

Or for the best of the best, sell the sct and get a tune from Rhino @ GPI
agreed. i got my car tuned by jannetty. it runs great
avido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:01 AM   #9
Scoop1977

When I ordered the tuner from Phastek, I put in the options for the parts I ordered. Headers w/cats/Cai/ gave my vin/told them 93 octane/... So I'm assuming someone at Phastek will be loading the tune for me. Has anyone here got a SCT tune from Phastek? Thanks guys
Old 04-11-2015, 01:12 PM   #10
JCunningham

your tune will be very conservative but will be fine until you dyno tune.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 04-11-2015, 04:19 PM   #11
Scoop1977

So how much power am I leaving on the table by not dyno tuning ?
Old 04-11-2015, 04:33 PM   #12
Scoop1977

And if this is the case.... Who's the best tuner around youngstown area? I found a "Smokey's Dyno" in the Akron area, I know there's some place in Medina too.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:23 PM   #13
tekteq
HT5 in the 626

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
And if this is the case.... Who's the best tuner around youngstown area? I found a "Smokey's Dyno" in the Akron area, I know there's some place in Medina too.
Save your money, call Ted. A dyno tune is not worth them money with your mods.

2014 L99 Camaro 2SS/RS ~ Flowmaster American Thunder Catback ~ Cold Air Inductions CAI ~ VMAX Ported TB ~ ARH Catted LTs ~ Tuned by Ted @ JRE

A wise man once said, he who eats crackers in bed get crummy sleep.
tekteq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:51 PM   #14
JCunningham

how much did you pay for the SCT. a dyno tune cost around $450. A dyno tune is always better than a non wide band tune. A dyno tune makes sure the car not only has the most power but that it also is running right. I have had canned tunes, narrow band data logged, and finally dyno. wish i had just gone dyno tune and saved all that money. Most dyno tuners also charge around $150 for updates for new mods. Headers should be at least data logged. The semi custom tune you are getting with the SCT will be safe but performance and fuel mileage will suffer. I dont know how much you will gain performance wise going with the Dyno over the tune you bought but with my Supercharged 6.2l Silverado I gained 60hp over a narrow band profesional street tune. Because of the sc the difference is more then you will get. You might only gain 10hp but your air fuel ratio will be right and you will be operating optimally.