The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Member's Lounge > Off-Topic Chat

Old 01-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Investing and Stock Market

Just wondering who else here actively plays the stock market and if you have any plays?

I'm long on Intel, Ford (Gasp I know), and Apple. Also dab a little with future energies, solar, natural gas, etc..

Looking at Vanguards VWNDX mutual fund, and anything else that seems up and coming.

As much as it is for making money it's also fun. Last year I made pretty good on Sprint, Boeing, Jamba Juice. Anyone else actively trade?
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by C7_Z51 View Post
Just wondering who else here actively plays the stock market and if you have any plays?

I'm long on Intel, Ford (Gasp I know), and Apple. Also dab a little with future energies, solar, natural gas, etc..

Looking at Vanguards VWNDX mutual fund, and anything else that seems up and coming.

As much as it is for making money it's also fun. Last year I made pretty good on Sprint, Boeing, Jamba Juice. Anyone else actively trade?

Put it this way. I had stock in Enron and Kmart. We both know how those went.

My deceased father refused to allow me to invest in ge around 2000.(I was a minor)

That stock shot through the freaking roof (it stabilized later) I was devastated.

My father used to be a huge paper trader and dabbled in currency. That being said witnessing him lose copious amounts of money never enticed me in. I decided to start trading in a crazy market.

I instead invested in real estate. That was the ticket.
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
OctaneZ28
Camaro Disciple

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to OctaneZ28 Send a message via Yahoo to OctaneZ28
My dad is an investment broker, so I've had some good advice along the way.

I've gone on my own to try to pick stocks now and then.
I've picked some good ones (DeVry and Best Buy when they were booming) and some bad ones (Lucent Technologies through their decline).

I'm mostly out of stocks now since the market is so volatile.
Pretty much just mutual funds for me now, yet I do retain stock in 1 company that's been relatively safe.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
ec1990

What's your take on savings? I keep minimums in my checking account just because it doesn't earn any interest. Pay everything on credit cards that's possible to earn points (I pay them all off in full every month, always have, always will). The rest I keep in money market accounts but I've been thinking about moving it to a mutual fund, it's a bit riskier, but money market is barely earning 1% right now.
Any takers?
Old 01-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
GaBoy25

Quote:
What's your take on savings? I keep minimums in my checking account just because it doesn't earn any interest. Pay everything on credit cards that's possible to earn points (I pay them all off in full every month, always have, always will). The rest I keep in money market accounts but I've been thinking about moving it to a mutual fund, it's a bit riskier, but money market is barely earning 1% right now.
Any takers?
Invest into something that nets a substantial increases without being high risk.
I buy and flip foreclosed homes.

Last one took 2 months to flip. 12k profit made by this weekend warrior.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
OctaneZ28
Camaro Disciple

I keep a little bit in a local bank savings, just because of easy access.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
GaBoy25

I'm also a gold/silver broker and make my living doing that. Just a thought
Old 01-23-2013, 02:00 AM   #8
Envy
Bully Proof

Drives: C5 COTW 1/31/2011
I'm into it...there's nothing I love more than legalized gambling. In general I keep a diversified mix of approximately 20 different stocks and then some speculation stuff for fun.

I've owned Ford since I bought a few thousand shares at $1.11 back in November of 2008 and I scaled out on the way up and only own a 1000 shares now...then I took the profit and bought me a couple of Chevys...lol. I also bought about the same amount of Fifth Third Bank and it still has a way to run so I'm still hanging on to some of that for now. I bought Apple originally at $79 a share and I sell and rebuy it all the time...most recently at $475 and I also jump in and out of BOA when the timing is right. My speculation in RIM paid off well recently too.

I used to own about 1/3 mutual funds, 1/3 stocks and 1/3 bonds...but I prefer to make my own choices so I sold most of my mutuals over a year ago so I could buy more stocks.

I also like to flip cars...it's much more fun than houses and a lot less work. I just bought a 2006 Cadillac SRX that I will be tripling my money on...working towards that C7.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #9
ec1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post
I'm into it...there's nothing I love more than legalized gambling. In general I keep a diversified mix of approximately 20 different stocks and then some speculation stuff for fun.

I've owned Ford since I bought a few thousand shares at $1.11 back in November of 2008 and I scaled out on the way up and only own a 1000 shares now...then I took the profit and bought me a couple of Chevys...lol. I also bought about the same amount of Fifth Third Bank and it still has a way to run so I'm still hanging on to some of that for now. I bought Apple originally at $79 a share and I sell and rebuy it all the time...most recently at $475 and I also jump in and out of BOA when the timing is right. My speculation in RIM paid off well recently too.

I used to own about 1/3 mutual funds, 1/3 stocks and 1/3 bonds...but I prefer to make my own choices so I sold most of my mutuals over a year ago so I could buy more stocks.

I also like to flip cars...it's much more fun than houses and a lot less work. I just bought a 2006 Cadillac SRX that I will be tripling my money on...working towards that C7.
Unfortunately I was a bit late to getting into the market, I bought Ford around 11 but expect it to continue to climb over the next 5 years. I'm looking into picking up Nike and buying a few more Ford shares. Although I've been thinking of getting back into day trading.

Do you pick up cars at auction or something?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #10

Drives: Getaway Special
I am L Ford. Simply do the 15 day line and 3 day line. On up crosses buy. On down crosses, sell. Say 6000 shares. .20 cent swings get you $1200 per trade. Easy to do a couple times a week. And, you don't have to worry because their PE is slightly above 3 and large downsides are not to be feared.
*007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #11
ec1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by *007 View Post
I am L Ford. Simply do the 15 day line and 3 day line. On up crosses buy. On down crosses, sell. Say 6000 shares. .20 cent swings get you $1200 per trade. Easy to do a couple times a week. And, you don't have to worry because their PE is slightly above 3 and large downsides are not to be feared.
I just transferred my money market into another mutual fund. I wish I could just day trade but just don't have it in me to sell off the other stocks and just day trade a stock, or multiple ones. Although I am thinking about it.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #12

Drives: Getaway Special
Quote:

If you want to make about 4% TAX FREE Vanguard Municipal Bond Funds are actively managed. Now, when I am talking about 4%, that does NOT include the rise in principal that has also risen. Balance between High Yield, Intermediate Term, and Limited Term. Your tax returns on these are easy. The total returns (incl cap gains - unrealized) will get you well toward 7% if you reinvest. JMHO. And of course, I do direct some clients that have this experience worry free. Some take out all dividends and principal still is up! Amazing. Sleep at night plan.
*007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
ec1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by *007 View Post
If you want to make about 4% TAX FREE Vanguard Municipal Bond Funds are actively managed. Now, when I am talking about 4%, that does NOT include the rise in principal that has also risen. Balance between High Yield, Intermediate Term, and Limited Term. Your tax returns on these are easy. The total returns (incl cap gains - unrealized) will get you well toward 7% if you reinvest. JMHO. And of course, I do direct some clients that have this experience worry free. Some take out all dividends and principal still is up! Amazing. Sleep at night plan.
Can you expand on this? Bonds are the one thing I've researched vaguely but I have no clue about, or how they work.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #14
OctaneZ28
Camaro Disciple

I would love to actively trade stocks and play the game a little.
But I'm too chicken. And have no money to start with anyhow.