The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 11-16-2013, 12:44 AM   #1
Nate GM
Rand Paul 2016

Drives: Corvette Stingray Z51 2LT
First C7 to Get a Ticket

This article is from a couple of weeks ago but still entertaining. The guy was testing out his new headers and tune and was pulled over. The officer told the man that he could have been arrested but instead gave him a ticket for well over $1k.

So that brings up my question, about how fast do you need to be going in order to get arrested? Or even a ticket of well over $1,000? I know that there probably isn't an exact speed but just looking for an estimate of what most officers would consider reckless endangerment?

Here's the article:
http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2013/...w-enforcement/
Old 11-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Most states are 15 over.

State and officer dependent.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
topry

Drives: 2014 Corvette 2LT velocity yellow
Most cops in GA don't even stop you unless you are >=15 over on the interstates. Points don't hit your license until 15 or more over. (used to be 11)

I never took anyone to jail for just speeding, only charged a few with reckless driving and only if they also attempted to evade. But yes, it varies from jurisdiction and individual.

Several years ago, the state added 'super speeder' fines, which are an 'add-on' of $200, when you go 75+ on a two-lane road or 85+ on highways/interstates. So, in those areas where the limit is 65 or 70 (outside of ATL), you can get stuck with one of those without trying.

A reckless driving conviction can be difficult to make in State court with speed as the only evidence. In a local 'recorders court' - (aka Kangaroo court) - anything goes, so if you get pinched for something serious, always kick it to State court if the locals won't plea bargain it down.

If you get stopped for speeding - it is common to be asked 'So, do you know how fast you were going?' - do NOT make their case for them. Be polite, but don't be foolish either.

Last edited by topry; 11-17-2013 at 12:44 PM.
topry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
CaptainChet

Drives: 2010 Corvette Coupe -Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by topry View Post
Most cops in GA don't even stop you unless you are >=15 over on the interstates. Points don't hit your license until 15 or more over. (used to be 11)......
The only real exception to this is the Duluth and Doraville PD. Duluth will nail you for +7 on PIB (north of Pleasant Hill) and Doraville on PIB just north of the i-285 interchange.

Otherwise, I would agree with you entirely!
CaptainChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by topry View Post
Most cops in GA don't even stop you unless you are >=15 over on the interstates. Points don't hit your license until 15 or more over. (used to be 11)

I never took anyone to jail for just speeding, only charged a few with reckless driving and only if they also attempted to evade. But yes, it varies from jurisdiction and individual.

Several years ago, the state added 'super speeder' fines, which are an 'add-on' of $200, when you go 75+ on a two-lane road or 85+ on highways/interstates. So, in those areas where the limit is 65 or 70 (outside of ATL), you can get stuck with one of those without trying.

A reckless driving conviction can be difficult to make in State court with speed as the only evidence. In a local 'recorders court' - (aka Kangaroo court) - anything goes, so if you get pinched for something serious, always kick it to State court if the locals won't plea bargain it down.

If you get stopped for speeding - it is common to be asked 'So, do you know how fast you were going?' - do NOT make their case for them. Be polite, but don't be foolish either.
Exception, if you have out of state tags. I've driven from Florida north too many times to know not to speed in Georgia.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Betsy Iris
(The Blue Beauty)

Drives: 2014 Stingray
Got it yesterday. . . I was going the speed of traffic. . . Just happened to pick me. . .
Attached Images

Betsy Iris is offline   Reply With Quote