Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 06-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
check engine light after K&N filter install?

I installed the filter at 1,200miles and at 1,400 miles the check engine light came on. I did not abuse the car (yet). I called Onstar and was told that it's the oxigen sensor on the right side exhaust signaling emission problems. I think there's a high chance they're related, as the events are too close... I also bought gas from Shell for the first time and I'm at half a tank...who knows.
Did you experience this and what was the fix, other than throwing out the KN filter? Will resetting/recalibrating the cumputer at the dealer work?
Thanks
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
If its an O2 sensor that is acting up I can't imagine it was caused by the K&N filter. Have your tried reinstalling the OEM filter to see if that clears the code?
Old 06-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
16floz470ml

Drives: 2012 ZL1 GLJ MG9 WBP RTQ
You need to look at your fuel trims and o2 sensor readings on a scanner. If the filter throws the fuel trims off really far it could throw an o2 sensor code. On stock car long term trim should be around -1 on both banks. If you are + the car is seeing a lean condition and adding fuel. The front o2 sensor readings should switch like crazy and the rears should stay right around 500mv.
16floz470ml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
Mr.R

Thanks! They mentioned it was the front right O2 sensor.
Great news! It went away by itself. I Pushed it a bit today and who knows what happened. It was on in the morning and off in the afternoon. So I'm happy, plus I hit 1,500 miles!!! I can tell it runs better, smoother. I can also sense a bit more power, especially when I open up the exhaust all the time. It unbelievable what a difference an open exhaust and an air filter can do...
thanks again
Old 06-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
AMCBimmer

Drives: 2002 BMW M5
Even though the light went out the fault is still there. I work for a dealership and our manufacturer light comes and goes.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
Mr.R

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCBimmer View Post
Even though the light went out the fault is still there. I work for a dealership and our manufacturer light comes and goes.
so are you saying there's still a problem then? I'm scheduled for an oil change next week adn I can ask them to check the code...
thanks
Old 06-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
RoketRdr

Drives: 2010 Duramax; 2012 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
so are you saying there's still a problem then? I'm scheduled for an oil change next week adn I can ask them to check the code...
thanks
Your ECM will set 'hard' and 'soft' codes. A hard code remains logged even if the CEL goes out. Anything to do with emissions will set a hard code. You should definitely have them check it and see if any other codes were set.
RoketRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
Mr.R

Thanks!!
Old 06-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
gmgdave

Drives: 12 ZL1 & 08 Suzuki Boulevard C50
I have not had any lights. i also have a Code Reader to check for codes and I have no codes and I also have a program on computer to monitor the engine and no codes or issues with my program also.
2012 ZL1 - #413 - IOM - Mods; Exhaust Commander. GMG Third Brake Light Pulsar, Tinted Windows, color matched Engine cover, ZL1 Floor Mats
gmgdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
AMCBimmer

Drives: 2002 BMW M5
Interesting! Keep us updated!
Old 06-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #11
Mr.R

The check engine went out after 100 miles. I guess the computer adapted to it. Dealer checked the code Friday and said not to worry. You might get that with bad gasoline too. All I can say is that the throttle response is a bit quicker, someone said it gained 5hp on the dyno and I can hear the supercharger whine a bit more. It's worth it!

I will however get a CAI that doesn't need a tune. The engine bay looks so much better and I'll probably get 20HP more and a lot better exhaust/intake sound. I love that music so much I drive with my windows down and radio off.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
Gen5_SS

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro SS/RS
I put on a Cold Air Inductions intake because everyone said...no tune needed. I ran it for about 9 month (only 3000 miles) and then took it to a shop for headers. They did a base dyno on it before the headers. It was running dangerously lean. I don't know if it was because of the CAI or not but I would suggest after adding a different intake to put it on a dyno. IT will tell you if you are ok or not.
Gen5_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen5_SS View Post
I put on a Cold Air Inductions intake because everyone said...no tune needed. I ran it for about 9 month (only 3000 miles) and then took it to a shop for headers. They did a base dyno on it before the headers. It was running dangerously lean. I don't know if it was because of the CAI or not but I would suggest after adding a different intake to put it on a dyno. IT will tell you if you are ok or not.
Like you said, your not positive that the CAI caused it or not, I can tell you with 99% certainty that it was not the CAI, nor was it running "dangerously lean"

1. If it was running "dangerously lean" you would have got a CEL. No CEL means that your fuel trims were running within the parameters that your car will allow without causing an issue, and since that was pre-tune than your fuel trims could not have been that bad at all. I'm not sure if the tuner used those words or if you seen the data yourself, or where that conclusion was made, but I've never seen nor heard of our CAI causing a car to run that lean, especially stock, and I have seen our CAI on a lot of Dynos and customers cars.

2. You don't need to put the car on a Dyno to get data such as fuel trims.

3. As you mentioned, it could have been running lean for a number of reasons.

4. Usually when a tuner is about to tune a car they point out things that they are going to improve on, so if it was a little on the lean side, which it may have been, they may have made a point of making mention of it.

5. Also I am assuming this was on an SS and not a ZL1??
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #14
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
You can also try a ecm reset by pulling the fuses overnight, I do it regularly in case I may have gotten bad gas etc. It costs nothing and could be the problem.