The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-13-2006, 08:47 PM   #15
Hoodscoop

Drives: 2000 CAMARO SS
comment - somewhat clever

truth in statement - sadly true at times

SLP 3.73 Axle, Auburn Diff., AAM Cover, SLP Pulleys, SLP MAF, SLP ATM, SLP CAI, SLP Lid, SLP Bellows, Polished Dual/Dual Exhaust, QTEC, NOS, K&N, SLP SFC, SLP STB, Castrol Lubricants

10-Spoke 2001 SLP Prototype Chrome Wheels, SS Key Faubs, Dash Plaque, Floor Mats, Rear Deck Mat, SLP Chrome Badge, Portfolio, Birth Certificate, Hurst T-Handle, SLP Leather Knob

2005 E/Street Prepared Regional Champion - Indiana Northwest Region SCCA
Hoodscoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:21 PM   #16
camaro2009
camaro2009

Drives: 2013 ZL-1 AGM 6M #0369
Send a message via Yahoo to camaro2009
I would have to say that the Mustang would be the greatest threat. I own a 1969 Grande Coupe, and went into ford to check on ordering the Cobra, they told me that I would have to put 20,000 down, as its going for 20,000 over list. I grew up a chevy man, and have owned many a chevelles. Never a Camaro. I laughed at ford, and went back to my Chevy dealer. My sales rep told me that just 2 days prior, they got the news that Chevy is building the Camaro, so I put my money down, and Im the second one on the list, I cant wait.
camaro2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:33 PM   #17
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2009
My sales rep told me that just 2 days prior, they got the news that Chevy is building the Camaro, so I put my money down, and Im the second one on the list, I cant wait.
I wonder if the dealers have somehow been told about production plans and been told to keep quiet about it. Though I can't believe that if this was the case this news hasn't leaked onto the internet yet. But I sure hope your sales guy is right!
Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:08 AM   #18
chevy4824

Drives: 1983 hurst olds
Send a message via AIM to chevy4824
I think that the challenger will be the biggest challenge to the Camaro. Because the whole thing about mopar cars going up and value over the years and somebody will think " man if I buy this car,in 5 years it will be over 100 grand" I also think that if the Camaro don't come out with a cheap 20,000 V6 car to compeat with the lower priced Mustang
chevy4824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 05:20 AM   #19
jbynum69
God of thunder

Drives: 95 Mustang GT
the factors that make a real foe is this :
1. driver capability (can you drive that thang like you stole it!!
2. power to wieght ratio ( my 05 got has right now 425 hp and 405 trq but wieghs 3700 lbs!!
3. ford has to get buyers for thier crudra (cobra) and right now the bugs are not still out of them, know a guy who bought one and he hates it.(can you say tank ride anyone)
Also the challenger and camaro have two key features that ford does not:
time to learn the other manufactures (probably spelled wrong ) tricks when each comes to the track . 2) time to see what is in store for the future of technolgy to build better performance .

ford really bit the nail and went to fast , now gm and dodge have time to analyze the market and say to ford YOU SUCK!!!!!

My first car was a 72 ss
I've owned 9 camaro's over the yrs...:
jbynum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:50 AM   #20
LowRider
LowRider

Drives: 1992 Camaro Z28 & 1996 S-10
Send a message via AIM to LowRider Send a message via Yahoo to LowRider
I think the challenger will be Camaros biggest threat because it is coming w/a 6.1L Hemi. I mean that will be nothing for the SS to handle but the LS2 or i have heard the LS3 might have a challenge on it's hands. But the real bad ass will be the SS.And the Rustangs will just be left behind like always.
LowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:17 AM   #21
WildKatB
'69 SS/RS 350

Drives: '69 LeMans Blue SS/RS Camaro
I think the Camaro's traditional rival, the Mustang, will be it's biggest challanger. There's always been a Crustang for every budget and many high-schoolers have become fans of it because they can buy a basic model dirt-cheap while spending the difference in after-market mods. They develop fond memories of it, then stay true to the brand (That's how my brother was lured to the darkside). For the Camaro to succeed, it will have to be offered in a base model priced to compare with the Ford so that the new generation of drivers can buy it, love it, and learn to revere it.
WildKatB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:02 AM   #22
$anani

Drives: chevy s10
my brother was lured to the DARKSIDE.lol
$anani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:25 AM   #23
LowRider
LowRider

Drives: 1992 Camaro Z28 & 1996 S-10
Send a message via AIM to LowRider Send a message via Yahoo to LowRider
Ya you all are right there but the challenger will still outrun the Rustang and the Camaro will walk all over both of them.
LowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:52 AM   #24
yourbassist

Drives: '96 Intrepid
Honestly I think the only thing the Camaro has to worry about is people getting tired of waiting for it. True fans will just wait for it but people may get sucked into a GT500 or a Challenger if GM takes too long. Personally, I want a Challenger and a Camaro. I love that it does look like an old Challenger but it has modern appointments. If/when I can afford to buy and rebuild (you know, after I figure it all out) a car I want to get a Charger(yes Charger, not Challenger), but I want to add any modern appointments that I can. I'm 20, I like air conditioning (ice cold, not just cool air), power steering and power brakes. That is what is so appealing about the Challenger, it looks so good but it is being made here and now. The Camaro will sell 100,000 units because I think they honestly have a much more expanded market than the Challenger and the Challenger will cost more (think SRT 36-40k). The Camaro will probably start out with a base model around 20k. I haven't heard anything from DCX about producing a V6 model. Should I continue? :p
yourbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:03 AM   #25
ShemwellSL

Drives: 2002 WS6 Trans Am
Mustang is THE foe.

Trying to hook up in all six gears with Summitumo tires on 17*9.5 front 17*11 rear torque thrust II with BMR traction pac II (torque arm, panhard rod, and control arms).

Eating mustangs and laughing at ricers!!!

I have owned four f-body's. Two Camaro's and two Firebird's. 1981 Z28 Camaro, 1989 RS Camaro, 2002 WS6 TA (automatic) and a 2002 WS6 TA (manual)
ShemwellSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:24 PM   #26
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Ford v. Chevy... ....always a good rivalry.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:51 AM   #27
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
The Camaro hasn't even been built yet and what do we see? ... I think it was Car and Driver (maybe Road and Track) doing a side by side comparison using computer animated technology. You guys are right. The rivalry is Chevy vs. Ford. I am gonna love this!!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote