Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-14-2017, 09:47 PM   #1
Kiefer

Drives: 2018 NGM SS 1LE
6th gen 1LE power limits?

ill have a 17' 1le here soon. my mod list is a pro charger not sure which model probably f1a since its easier to make power so I won't have to run much boost. kooks longtubes. and corsa exhaust. id like to be maybe 600whp or so. what can these LT1s handle? and how much can the stock clutch handle?
Kiefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:11 PM   #2
pbsinternet1le

Drives: 2017 1le current /2015 2ss 1le sold
Why not get a zl1?
Old 08-14-2017, 10:12 PM   #3
Kiefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbsinternet1le View Post
Why not get a zl1?
I don't have zl1 money lol

plus Id enjoy to build it into a zl1 killer
Old 08-15-2017, 06:32 AM   #4
pbsinternet1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefer View Post
I don't have zl1 money lol

plus Id enjoy to build it into a zl1 killer
600hp is not going to be a zl1 killer. You will be adding weight upsetting the balance of the 1le. Not to mention waranty issues, heat issues, etc...
Old 08-15-2017, 07:28 AM   #5
Swagger
DaWolfOfAllStreets

Drives: 17 C Coupe, 17 1LE, 16 Scion iA
Quote:
600hp is not going to be a zl1 killer. You will be adding weight upsetting the balance of the 1le. Not to mention waranty issues, heat issues, etc...
Upset the balance, REALLY??? I swear you guys kill me with that one LOL. 600whp in a 1LE will have better balance, less weight and will be a faster car overall vs a stock ZL1. For the OP a simple blower setup will wake the car up and will not have some horrible negative effect on the handling of the car.

You have a lot of options from PD to Centri to consider. Cam installs will cost a good deal of cash on the LT1 motors which in my opinion only helps if you add boost in terms of the power vs cost scenario figure $4k -$5k max. The weak link in this motor is without question the pistons. A good set installed will cost you around $2k to $2.5k max depending on brand & installer. Those should take well into 800whp range with otherwise stock internals. Easily into the 700whp range... If you plan to only run say 6psi of boost and run meth, you should be fine on stock pistons. Provided you don't beat the snot out of your car.
Swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:40 AM   #6
Kiefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger View Post
Upset the balance, REALLY??? I swear you guys kill me with that one LOL. 600whp in a 1LE will have better balance, less weight and will be a faster car overall vs a stock ZL1. For the OP a simple blower setup will wake the car up and will not have some horrible negative effect on the handling of the car.

You have a lot of options from PD to Centri to consider. Cam installs will cost a good deal of cash on the LT1 motors which in my opinion only helps if you add boost in terms of the power vs cost scenario figure $4k -$5k max. The weak link in this motor is without question the pistons. A good set installed will cost you around $2k to $2.5k max depending on brand & installer. Those should take well into 800whp range with otherwise stock internals. Easily into the 700whp range... If you plan to only run say 6psi of boost and run meth, you should be fine on stock pistons. Provided you don't beat the snot out of your car.

my goal isn't to be a zl1 killer. I just want a reliable 600whp or so. something that just sounds and looks menacing
Old 08-15-2017, 01:49 PM   #7
pbsinternet1le

.i
Quote:

Why would you do that to a track car? When you could just get a zl1 and retain warranty?... Heat will be an issue and 150 -200 lbs on the front is gonna make a difference ...unless you just want a street car.. then why not just get a regular ss?
Old 08-15-2017, 03:40 PM   #8
Jastone

Drives: 98 TA, 10 Sierra, 17 XT5, 17 1le
Quote:
.i
Why would you do that to a track car? When you could just get a zl1 and retain warranty?... Heat will be an issue and 150 -200 lbs on the front is gonna make a difference ...unless you just want a street car.. then why not just get a regular ss?
I agree heat would be an issue, especially on a track car. But the added weight is well below your estimate, would be closer to 75-100lbs. Definitely more weight up front. Don't know how it would mess with the balance. I believe there are a few (at least one) members that have procharged 1le on here. Perhaps they can chime in and give you firsthand pros/cons?
Old 08-15-2017, 03:42 PM   #9
Swagger
DaWolfOfAllStreets

Quote:
.i
So a track car can't have a turbo or blower on it? Where are you getting 150lbs of added weight from? I swear its like I am in the 911 forums and anything you touch will suddenly upset the cars delicate balance and handling. The 1LE's sole purpose is not to run around road courses. Its a much broader car with great capabilities in high speed stability, cruising, autoX, road racing etc...

And to answer your basic question, I chose the 1LE for the suspension, brakes, aero and looks. The SS frankly holds no appeal to me. Its a hell of a package for its price and makes for a car thats capable of killing road courses. I wanted a well rounded weapon capable runway events, roll racing, road courses and taking me to dinner or the grocery store. The ZL1 is a heavier car, I am not a fan of PD blowers and spending $10-12k didn't appeal to me on top of the ZL1. The 1LE gives me what I want at a price and performance point that works for me. Lastly the cooling package on the 1LE is pretty immense out of the box, I have no concerns about heat with a blower/FMIC setup in place on this car.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #10
Swagger
DaWolfOfAllStreets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefer View Post
my goal isn't to be a zl1 killer. I just want a reliable 600whp or so. something that just sounds and looks menacing
While not intended Keifer I think you will find that in fact you will get one hell of a surprise with 600whp and a 1LE car. You will get just what you want sound and menace, without question.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:07 PM   #11
Gen_Nick3.8

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE
Rather have a ZL1 keep warranty, Never have to worry bout nothing.
Gen_Nick3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:09 PM   #12
pbsinternet1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen_Nick3.8 View Post
Plus1
Old 08-15-2017, 09:23 PM   #13
Kiefer

Quote:
So a track car can't have a turbo or blower on it? Where are you getting 150lbs of added weight from? I swear its like I am in the 911 forums and anything you touch will suddenly upset the cars delicate balance and handling. The 1LE's sole purpose is not to run around road courses. Its a much broader car with great capabilities in high speed stability, cruising, autoX, road racing etc...

And to answer your basic question, I chose the 1LE for the suspension, brakes, aero and looks. The SS frankly holds no appeal to me. Its a hell of a package for its price and makes for a car thats capable of killing road courses. I wanted a well rounded weapon capable runway events, roll racing, road courses and taking me to dinner or the grocery store. The ZL1 is a heavier car, I am not a fan of PD blowers and spending $10-12k didn't appeal to me on top of the ZL1. The 1LE gives me what I want at a price and performance point that works for me. Lastly the cooling package on the 1LE is pretty immense out of the box, I have no concerns about heat with a blower/FMIC setup in place on this car.
you summed it up 100% lol it amazes me as soon as you want to mod something people freak out. I bought my 5th gen 1le the same reason I'm buying this one. I bought my 5th bc it was a couple hundred pounds lighter and all around was a great platform to build from.

and I agree with you 100% I hate PD blowers. thats where youll really get heat soak. especially down south here with the crazy humidity
Old 08-15-2017, 09:25 PM   #14
Kiefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen_Nick3.8 View Post
eh id rather build something and mold It into my own. if I was spending 65+k id get a used c7 z06.

plus with a 41k 1le about 10k in mods and labor. id be faster than a zl1 and lighter not sure how hard that is to comprehend and id have a solid 13k to spare.