Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 05-27-2016, 07:55 AM   #1
Ajrothm

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Windshield fogging with the AC on.....

Anyone else in humid climates have an issue with the windshield fogging up with the AC on and in recirc mode? Seems like even with the fan speed on low and the temp setting at only 65*, I still get a good bit of fogging on the windshield. Almost like the defrost door is not closing off all the way when the AC is set to "head" and in recirc.. (Max)..

Experimenting with the defrost and temp settings, the ducts seem to change over properly and so does the temp/blend doors...however just a small enough amount bleeding through the defrost duct to fog the windshield..

Pretty annoying to have to turn the wipers on to clear the fog on a sunny day...it's done this every day that I've had it..(1 week).

Just curious if this is common or mine has an issue.. I'd hate to have the dealer tearing into the dash.

2016 C7 Z06, A8
Laguna Blue
10.66@129.15
Ajrothm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:08 AM   #2
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajrothm View Post
Anyone else in humid climates have an issue with the windshield fogging up with the AC on and in recirc mode?

Turn off recirc. The heavy moisture just from breathing is not being dissipated if you don't introduce fresh outside air into the cabin..
AC does dehumidify but you have to give it some chance to exhaust the damp air. Recirc just keeps it in the car. Your breath is very moisture laden.

Last edited by Modshack; 05-27-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Modshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:22 AM   #3
Tim Adams

Drives: 2020 Elkhart Lake Blue 1LT Z51 C8
All of my cars have done this for the past 35 years I have been driving. It's normal.

2020 C8 ordered!!

"The greatest sound in the world is a Rolls Royce Merlin over 100 inches"

www.timadamsphotography.com
Tim Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:11 AM   #4
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Anyone else in humid climates have an issue with the windshield fogging up with the AC on and in recirc mode? Seems like even with the fan speed on low and the temp setting at only 65*, I still get a good bit of fogging on the windshield. Almost like the defrost door is not closing off all the way when the AC is set to "head" and in recirc.. (Max)..

Experimenting with the defrost and temp settings, the ducts seem to change over properly and so does the temp/blend doors...however just a small enough amount bleeding through the defrost duct to fog the windshield..

Pretty annoying to have to turn the wipers on to clear the fog on a sunny day...it's done this every day that I've had it..(1 week).

Just curious if this is common or mine has an issue.. I'd hate to have the dealer tearing into the dash.
I noticed it as well when I first picked up my car. It was very humid that night but I have not see it again yet. I think there is a mode the does defrost and AC, which may help instead of having to use the wipers every few minutes.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:17 AM   #5
Johnman

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 convertible IOM
When I read the title to this thread, I knew you were in or near Houston!
Johnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:31 AM   #6
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:

So you are getting condensate on the EXTERIOR which must be cleared by the wipers? This is because the glass is cold and the outside humidity is high. Redirecting airflow off the glass should help. In recirc mode your duct temp is probably in the 50's once the system runs a bit. That is pretty cold air to blast directly at the glass.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:37 AM   #7
Ajrothm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
So you are getting condensate on the EXTERIOR which must be cleared by the wipers? This is because the glass is cold and the outside humidity is high. Redirecting airflow off the glass should help. In recirc mode your duct temp is probably in the 50's once the system runs a bit. That is pretty cold air to blast directly at the glass.
Exactly right. That's why I was questioning why I'm getting air flow through the defroster to the windshield when in theory, it should only be coming out of the forward facing dash vents.. (Head vents). I can feel a very slight amount of air coming through the defrost vents, even with the fan on the lowest setting. None of my other cars have ever done this..

Guess I'll have to play with somethings like turning off recirc like the other poster mentioned.

2016 C7 Z06, A8
Laguna Blue
10.66@129.15
Old 05-27-2016, 09:38 AM   #8
Ajrothm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
Turn off recirc. The heavy moisture just from breathing is not being dissipated if you don't introduce fresh outside air into the cabin..
AC does dehumidify but you have to give it some chance to exhaust the damp air. Recirc just keeps it in the car. Your breath is very moisture laden.
Good idea and easy enough to try.. It's humid and rainy out today, I'll turn off the recirc for the drive home and see if it helps. Thanks for the info.

2016 C7 Z06, A8
Laguna Blue
10.66@129.15
Old 05-27-2016, 09:41 AM   #9
Ajrothm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Adams View Post
All of my cars have done this for the past 35 years I have been driving. It's normal.
It's weird, none of my cars have ever done this, even my 71' Vette that has Vintage Air and only has recirc (no outside air entry) doesn't fog the windshield, and it blows 37*.

I think this is more due to the fact there is air coming up out of the defrost vents when it shouldn't be.

The fog pattern on the outside of the windshield is exactly at the place on the glass where the air from the defrost vent is coming out...

2016 C7 Z06, A8
Laguna Blue
10.66@129.15
Old 05-27-2016, 01:36 PM   #10
Texas 6Gen

Drives: Future 6th Gen Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnman View Post
+1
Texas 6Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:54 PM   #11
BreedsAS

Drives: 16 Camaro: Mosaic/2SS/A8/NPP/Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnman View Post
Sucks because NTX and DFW have had Dallas type humidity the whole month!

'16 Chevy Camaro 2SS Auto - Mosaic Black l Kalahari Interior l NPP l Nav l Sunroof.
Prismatic 22" concave Koko Wheels l Lexani Tires l GM Splitter l ACS Rockers l ACS Spoiler l BMR Drop l Limo tint l Smoked Lighting l Debadged l LEDs l WeatherTech l More to come...
YouTube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq4...9-q-ccCuqVONUw
BreedsAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:09 PM   #12
Sidedraft

Drives: Jeep Wrangler
This has happened to me in every car I've owned. It's always humid here, though.
Sidedraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:14 PM   #13
Wheel Team 6

Fogging windshield

Quote:

I picked mine up Tuesday of this week. I noticed it while we were setting up the OnStar account idling. I'm here in humid Florida and it's annoying so I made an appointment with my dealer next Saturday to fix it. Will reply here when I find out what the fix is.
Wheel Team 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:21 PM   #14
Ajrothm

Ran mine on the way home with the recirc off, it actually fogged up worse.. It was 85*, 95% humidity and raining. Trying to run the defrost and AC at the same time obviously did not help as if blew even more cold air on the glass. Once I went to defrost, put the temp at 80*, it finally cleared the fog off... But it got hot in the car quick.

Pretty annoying for sure.

2016 C7 Z06, A8
Laguna Blue
10.66@129.15