Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-05-2015, 11:11 AM   #1
Briby37

Drives: Chevy Camaro Lover
SS Comparison with GT350

Thought this was pretty cool. I can't figure out how to embed it into the forum though, so the link is below (must be blocked). Interesting to see that the Camaro was favored despite the flat-plane hype the GT350 gets. A win for the bowtie, I think.

http://www.motoroso.com/MotorAuthori...hevy-Camaro-SS

For mobile: http://m.www.motoroso.com/index.html...ionItemsView/2
Briby37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Thx for sharing.

If I had to listen to him in class I'd fall asleep every day.... lol
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
This has been posted in the video and verses sections a few times...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
So Chevs base V8 is as good or better than Fords Hi-Po special V8
I'll take that.

Compare the SS to the GT. That is the way it should be.

If and when a 1LE comes. Compare that to the GT350
BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:41 PM   #5
TheSpectre

Drives: Boxster GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
I'll take that.
How is the LT1 better then the Voodoo?
TheSpectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:52 PM   #6
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
the fact they are comparing Ford's HIPO variant to Chevy's standard variant is quite telling.

I suppose when the ZL1 comes out they will have to put it up against the GT (and i mean the supercar GT).
Old 12-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #7
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpectre View Post
?? What are talking about?

I Don't see anything about engines in my post.

Start your arguments over on another forum.
BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:11 PM   #8
Snakedriver

Drives: ZL1
It doesn't look good for Ford when the SS which should be compared to the GT is compared to the GT350. The 17 ZL1 will destroy the GT350R.
Snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #9
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:

Your post can be read in both ways, as it does mention V-8...

I know that you meant that the base V-8 trim Camaro is being compared to the high performance V-8 trim Mustang.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:29 PM   #10
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpectre View Post
The question could be asked the other way as well, how is the Voodoo engine better then the LT1 engine?......

One engine has more horsepower while the other has more torque, playing devils advocate here....

Actually the base Camaro SS makes the base GT350 appear to under performance for its price point ($37,000 compared to $50,000). At $50,000 according to the Ford site you actually get a car that has fewer features then the SS Camaro at $37,000 and the SS Camaro is slightly lighter. With the GT350 you get the base Mustang interior (including cloth seats) meaning you get a bit more with a base SS Camaro then you do with a base GT350.

The $6,500 dollar track pack for the GT350 (bringing price to $56,500 bucks before other options) gives you the following.

Shelby GT350Ū Track Package includes:

• MagneRide™ Damping System
• Integrated Driver Control System
• Raised Decklid Spoiler
• Aluminum Tower to Tower Brace
• Engine Oil, Transmission and Differential Coolers
• Heavy-duty Front Springs

Note: Not available with Technology Package

If you order the $7,500 technology package which as stated already can not be matched with the track package you get.

The Technology Package is optional on the Shelby GT350Ū and includes:

• MagneRide Damping System
• Heavy-Duty Front Springs
• Integrated Driver Control (IDC) System
• 7 Speaker Audio System
• SiriusXM Satellite Radio with 6-month prepaid subscription
• SYNCŪ 3
• 4-Way Adjustable Head Restraints
• 6-Way Power Driver Seat with Power Lumbar
• 6-Way Power Passenger Seat
• Climate Controlled Front Seats
• Leather-Trimmed Sport Seats with Seat Back Map Pockets
• Dual-Zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (DEATC)
• Turn Signal Mirrors
• Universal Garage Door Opener
• Voice-Activated Navigation System

*Not available with Track Package

If you opt for the technology package it looks like you can not get the recaro seats as you get leather seating with the technology package and the recaro seats are cloth.

Not saying that the GT350 isn't a cool car or that it doesn't make a compelling argument because certain compared to lets say a BMW M4 it does. It is just that based on early test for the regular GT350 and SS Camaro that the SS Camaro may slightly nudge it when it comes to performance... and that is a no options $37,000 Camaro SS. You can approach the $50,000 base price for the GT350 and have all of the options that you want and have room for accessories on the car. With everything that I could want on a 2SS I got to $46,980 (figured keep it a manual car). To get the GT350 optioned like this it is $57,500 bucks for the GT350 which still gives you a more then $10,000 price difference.

Though the GT350 does have the novelty of a 8,250rpm red line and in track mode it does sound good to me (though sounds bad in other modes).
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:47 PM   #11
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Alright this will come straight from the horse's mouth who has objective and subjective ownership experience with these powerplants. To start, I am VERY familiar with the LT1 as I owned two C7 Z51 Stingrays for over a year and currently have a Z06 with the LT4... I also now have a '15 GT350 Track pak. I track my Vettes extensively... very fast laps too if I may say. I have also experienced the GT350 on 9 laps at Sebring back in Oct. courtesy of a Ford Performance invite. No fanboy'ism here. I like what both manufacturers offer and they outdo each other at every iteration. Nothing new there.

On that note, I will take a GT350 anytime anyday even over a Z51 Stingray let alone a 6th gen SS (obviously both have LT1's). Why? Besides the FPC power & sound, this car is so balanced and can handle so well it's deceiving. It really shouldn't for its weight... but it feels like 500 lbs lighter than it actually is. It's just dialed in just right, spot on every apex. The steering turn in and the manner it can lay down the power is amazing. Don't get me started on the brakes... the brakes are so good it can compete with CCB's. These massive rotors and calipers are just as good or arguably better than my Z06's. That alone speaks volumes and is a key component for a total recipe to produce smooth-in and fast-out of turns, lap after lap.

All this sums up to a great performance track-bred car... it actually feels like a sports car when you drive it... pony car analogies are bygones now with this all new Shelby. Some can disagree or be in denial forever but until you actually own one and drive one on & off the track, then I'd say some of these posts are really no more than conjecture and should be taken with a grain of salt. The GT350's forte isn't meant to be interpreted as a simple ruler, never was from the getgo... it's not meant to be a 1/4 mile slingshot from point a to point b. It's for the twisties.. it's for the high speed track.. it's for spirited driving, not stoplight hopping.

This is not a bash against the 6th gen SS as we can also now see that with GM's all-star parts & components ingredients, they were able to produce a well-performing and highly acclaimed car. Car of the year per M/T's pedigree (although unfortunately that testing was done before the GT350 was released for the media) just like Motor Authority was only able to match up SS vs. GT350 because a special edition 6th gen isn't out yet... if it was then the media & auto magrags will match it vis-a-vis. Duh. But for Yahoo's "Epic" car of the year and R&T's "Performance" car of the year, I'll surely concur with that accolade over & over. No Voodoo novelty here neither... this car can perform at a very high level at the track and can challenge many cars twice its price.

Top 4 finalists: 6th gen SS, RC-F, CTS-V, GT350
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:12 PM   #12
TheSpectre

Drives: Boxster GTS
Quote:

I'm talking about this.

Quote:
I'll take that.
If you're talking about the base trim cars instead of the engines, fine. My question still stands... How is the Chevy better than the Ford?
TheSpectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:57 PM   #13
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Alright this will come straight from the horse's mouth who has objective and subjective ownership experience with these powerplants. To start, I am VERY familiar with the LT1 as I owned two C7 Z51 Stingrays for over a year and currently have a Z06 with the LT4... I also now have a '15 GT350 Track pak. I track my Vettes extensively... very fast laps too if I may say. I have also experienced the GT350 on 9 laps at Sebring back in Oct. courtesy of a Ford Performance invite. No fanboy'ism here. I like what both manufacturers offer and they outdo each other at every iteration. Nothing new there.

On that note, I will take a GT350 anytime anyday even over a Z51 Stingray let alone a 6th gen SS (obviously both have LT1's). Why? Besides the FPC power & sound, this car is so balanced and can handle so well it's deceiving. It really shouldn't for its weight... but it feels like 500 lbs lighter than it actually is. It's just dialed in just right, spot on every apex. The steering turn in and the manner it can lay down the power is amazing. Don't get me started on the brakes... the brakes are so good it can compete with CCB's. These massive rotors and calipers are just as good or arguably better than my Z06's. That alone speaks volumes and is a key component for a total recipe to produce smooth-in and fast-out of turns, lap after lap.

All this sums up to a great performance track-bred car... it actually feels like a sports car when you drive it... pony car analogies are bygones now with this all new Shelby. Some can disagree or be in denial forever but until you actually own one and drive one on & off the track, then I'd say some of these posts are really no more than conjecture and should be taken with a grain of salt. The GT350's forte isn't meant to be interpreted as a simple ruler, never was from the getgo... it's not meant to be a 1/4 mile slingshot from point a to point b. It's for the twisties.. it's for the high speed track.. it's for spirited driving, not stoplight hopping.

This is not a bash against the 6th gen SS as we can also now see that with GM's all-star parts & components ingredients, they were able to produce a well-performing and highly acclaimed car. Car of the year per M/T's pedigree (although unfortunately that testing was done before the GT350 was released for the media) just like Motor Authority was only able to match up SS vs. GT350 because a special edition 6th gen isn't out yet... if it was then the media & auto magrags will match it vis-a-vis. Duh. But for Yahoo's "Epic" car of the year and R&T's "Performance" car of the year, I'll surely concur with that accolade over & over. No Voodoo novelty here neither... this car can perform at a very high level at the track and can challenge many cars twice its price.

I was at the Sebring event as well, who came with you on your drive? Lots of cool guys, I had a great time.

As a current Mustang owner (full drag set up '11 GT now) and a former '12 Boss 302 and '07 and '13 GT500 owner. Also as a current Corvette owner (full autoX set up Lingerfelter 402ci '02 Z06), I too can inject my opinion. The GT350 is quite the machine especially in R format. Plus it sounds fantastic and pulls very well. The issue I had with it was it's low to medium rpm performance. If you are just tracking it, and staying up in the rev band, you're good. But, if you plan on doing a lot of street driving the low end power is lacking. The other thing I noticed, which again, doesn't really effect track lapping, but could be a annoyance otherwise, is that it doesn't come out of the hole well. I drove my friends new SS, it had no miles on it, and wasn't my car, which obviously limited me. But I was beyond impressed how well the car performed, even on junky run flats. The 1LE form of this car will easily run with, and very well out perform the GT350 TP. Then, I can only imagine what a even more powerful, track focused ZL1/Z28 will do to a GT350 R. I plan on buying a SS, or if they make it, 1LE, and will do full suspension and coilovers and will see what it does...it may make me sell the Z...will see. Curious, have you driven a new SS?
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:05 PM   #14
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post

Question...are you talking about the R, or the regular GT350? Big difference. If you are talking R...then while I very much respect your response, but its not a valid response. Even talking the 350TP may not be valid. Sure, straight line might be ok, but clearly this topic is on track performance, and I don't think anyone should be comparing an SS, to a 350TP, and especially an R. (now a possible 6th gen 1LE on the other hand...I feel will put up a good fight with a 350TP)

The comparison should be between a base 350 and an SS. I this case, I think the SS is likely closer to the performance level (track, as straight line the SS is pretty much its equal until perhaps well over 100mph) of a base 350 than a Mustang GTPP. 50K for a base 350. An SS, with all the performance options added, but not a 2SS, will come under that easily, and likely perform very closely. What is your take on this?

ANYWAYS..

As for the so called "comparison" the OP is talking about....it was a NOTHING comparison. All they did was brag up both cars, and nothing else. No stats, no real opinions, and no winner chosen.

I want to see an SS go up against a base 350...lets do it!