Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-02-2015, 05:01 PM   #1
ac223mal

Drives: car
Noweeds vs Shorties and/or High Flow Cats/Mid-pipes

Ive been researching this and am starting to go crazy.

My goal is to improve the sound of the car while hopefully helping performance without a tune. I have the fuse pull done & would like to keep the NPP exhaust. I am hoping to road course the car in the future, but the course here is set up in a parking lot with cones, and I haven't found free time to even watch it yet.

I was originally going to install noweeds, but I didn't like drilling a hole into the car and it seemed that there were issues with the diverters hitting a brace underneath (if anyone can advise, I only saw one thread addressing this issue).

By researching the noweeds, it seemed that the recommendation was to get HF cats instead. I liked this idea, because it seemed it was a simple bolt on. But then there is the issue with the HF cats failing (Z06Bryan had good results with his, but this was attributed to his tune). The JBA mid pipes seem to fail and I know Stephen12ZL1 had issues with his. Dynatech seems like they would be a good brand, but I can't find a mid-pipe with HF cats for the ZL1? I don't trust the shops down here to be able to fabricate what I need.

Shorty headers? I know they performance gains aren't high, but they keep me from having to tune. I would go ARH, but without a HF cat mid-pipe they wouldn't be very efficient.

So any help that could keep me from going crazy would help, especially if someone can point me in the direction of a reliable Mid-Pipe HF Cat that can withstand FI application.
ac223mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
ac223mal

Anyone?
Old 06-03-2015, 08:19 PM   #3
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac223mal View Post
Ive been researching this and am starting to go crazy.

My goal is to improve the sound of the car while hopefully helping performance without a tune. I have the fuse pull done & would like to keep the NPP exhaust. I am hoping to road course the car in the future, but the course here is set up in a parking lot with cones, and I haven't found free time to even watch it yet.

I was originally going to install noweeds, but I didn't like drilling a hole into the car and it seemed that there were issues with the diverters hitting a brace underneath (if anyone can advise, I only saw one thread addressing this issue).

By researching the noweeds, it seemed that the recommendation was to get HF cats instead. I liked this idea, because it seemed it was a simple bolt on. But then there is the issue with the HF cats failing (Z06Bryan had good results with his, but this was attributed to his tune). The JBA mid pipes seem to fail and I know Stephen12ZL1 had issues with his. Dynatech seems like they would be a good brand, but I can't find a mid-pipe with HF cats for the ZL1? I don't trust the shops down here to be able to fabricate what I need.

Shorty headers? I know they performance gains aren't high, but they keep me from having to tune. I would go ARH, but without a HF cat mid-pipe they wouldn't be very efficient.

So any help that could keep me from going crazy would help, especially if someone can point me in the direction of a reliable Mid-Pipe HF Cat that can withstand FI application.
I got LT Headers (w/offroad connection pipes), cat delete and NoWeeds. The only ones that have brace issues that I know about are the Convertible Camaro's. Installed it all myself, the only issue I had was being called in during an HPDE event because I was 10db over the sound limit. Closed the NoWeeds and I was back on the track.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:20 PM   #4
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Quote:
Anyone?
I run ARH LT's, Corsa Exhaust and QTP and at WOT, sounds like the gates of hell opening up...............
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:35 PM   #5
ac223mal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarx82 View Post
I got LT Headers (w/offroad connection pipes), cat delete and NoWeeds. The only ones that have brace issues that I know about are the Convertible Camaro's. Installed it all myself, the only issue I had was being called in during an HPDE event because I was 10db over the sound limit. Closed the NoWeeds and I was back on the track.
Thank you for responding. Long tubes are in the future once the warranty is up. The info on the NoWeeds is good stuff & if I cant get info on a reliable cat-less mid-pipe Ill probably go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
I run ARH LT's, Corsa Exhaust and QTP and at WOT, sounds like the gates of hell opening up...............
Thats what Id like to find w/o giving up the warranty...so maybe just the gates to purgatory for now. Thank you for replying.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:21 AM   #6
Drbormd

Drives: 13 F150 Eco 14 ZL1 650 RWHP
I run Kooks long tubes with high flow cats and NoWeeds. No matter how I adjust the pipes it does rub a bit on the brace. I am still trying to figure it out though and I won't give up. The sound is amazing...
Drbormd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:31 AM   #7
ac223mal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbormd View Post
I run Kooks long tubes with high flow cats and NoWeeds. No matter how I adjust the pipes it does rub a bit on the brace. I am still trying to figure it out though and I won't give up. The sound is amazing...
Thanks, I had seen another post regarding the rubbing, that made me worry about it. I assume you have a coupe?
Old 06-04-2015, 12:36 PM   #8
ZL W0N
GuitarmageddonZL1

Drives: ‘13 ZL1, ‘17 TT ZL1, ‘17 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarx82 View Post
I'm looking at getting LT headers and no cats. I currently have the fuse pull on my NPP system. What am I looking at sound wise? For me, the louder the better.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:46 PM   #9
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
What mine sounds like ... Crank it up !!!

Old 06-04-2015, 03:04 PM   #10
ac223mal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
What mine sounds like ... Crank it up !!!

That sounds real good!
Old 06-04-2015, 09:05 PM   #11
mmarx82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL W0N View Post
I'm looking at getting LT headers and no cats. I currently have the fuse pull on my NPP system. What am I looking at sound wise? For me, the louder the better.
All the audio is from inside the vehicle. On Cold start the NoWeeds in Closed position sounds just like the NoWeeds when open. It sounds good but I wanted more. There are 4 vids I made in total comparing all the configurations, here are two.

With NoWeeds Closed and just Headers w/Cat Delete

With NoWeeds Open and Headers w/Cat Delete
Old 06-05-2015, 11:48 PM   #12
Drbormd

Drives: 13 F150 Eco 14 ZL1 650 RWHP
yes mine is coupe..
Drbormd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:44 PM   #13
ac223mal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbormd View Post
yes mine is coupe..
Thanks, I didnt put it together till now but your thread on the rattle was the thread I was referring to.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...exhaust+rattle
Old 06-06-2015, 10:38 PM   #14
mmarx82

Quote:
Thanks, I didnt put it together till now but your thread on the rattle was the thread I was referring to.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...exhaust+rattle
His NoWeeds install would just need to be adjusted. Loosen front and back clamps, twist the NoWeeds so that it lifts the OEM exhaust off the brace and re-tighten the clamps. That's no big deal.