Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-28-2024, 09:52 PM   #1
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Camaro theft in L.A, up 1100%

Might want find a garage.. https://finance.yahoo.com/news/chevy...185202239.html
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 08:08 AM   #2
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
Idiots. Wouldn't buy the car when it was for sale but now they want to steal it because they're getting rare.

I wonder if in 2024 firing up the production lines on a discontinued car is still on the level of quantum physics.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 08:35 AM   #3
tenargo57

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chief View Post
Idiots. Wouldn't buy the car when it was for sale but now they want to steal it because they're getting rare.

I wonder if in 2024 firing up the production lines on a discontinued car is still on the level of quantum physics.

It has nothing to do with it. They're incredibly easy to steal and they part them out for a quick buck or destroy them in sideshows. Someone posted this in the LA subreddit the other day

tenargo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 08:39 AM   #4
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
"Carolina Squat" on a Camaro.
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 09:02 AM   #5
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
What form of crime isn't up in that state?
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 09:20 AM   #6
LancevanceZLE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
It's everywhere, and it will come to your state too. It's already been reported in Texas, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, etc.

Just like the Kia thefts, once the word gets out about how easy it is to steal them, thieves in other locations will copy the method.

It takes less than 5 minutes with a $1000 locksmith device you can buy on Amazon.

We should all be calling Chevrolet to file complaints so they can do a software update before the Camaro becomes uninsurable.

Instead of making this about politics or us vs them, we should come together so that GM can do the right thing and fix how easy they are to steal.

Everybody should call Chevrolet customer service and complain about how easy they are to steal. Cite this article as evidence. If they get a thousand calls they might finally do something.

Chevrolet customer service: +1-800-222-1020
LancevanceZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 09:52 AM   #7
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
It's funny, not funny, because urban Florida and parts of Texas are disgusting and crime-ridden too, albeit just slightly less. But it's California everyone talks about because...agenda.

No, GM isn't going to fire up the production line. No, GM Customer Service isn't going to make your car more secure.

Nice wheels.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 10:09 AM   #8
LancevanceZLE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
It's funny, not funny, because urban Florida and parts of Texas are disgusting and crime-ridden too, albeit just slightly less. But it's California everyone talks about because...agenda.

No, GM isn't going to fire up the production line. No, GM Customer Service isn't going to make your car more secure.

Nice wheels.
Not with that attitude! It's as simple as putting a 2 hour time delay on key reprogramming. A small software update could fix it. Range Rover has recently done such an update.

Rather than being so defeatist, why not make a 5 minute call to Chevy?

Last time I needed their help they had my car released from the dealer in half an hour when a dealer refused to release my car due to doing work I hadn't signed off on.

Chevy customer service is pretty good. A thousand calls might make them take notice.
LancevanceZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 10:27 AM   #9
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Just got off the phone with them. Maybe it will help, maybe it won’t. Didn’t hurt to try.

In the mean time I will continue to pull my fuel pump relay when I park in public.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 10:27 AM   #10
Evergreen6

Sir, this is not a Range Rover.

GM vehicles have been easy to steal since the beginning of time, but if you think calling Customer Service today about it will change things, by all means, I wish you luck. I would, however, encourage you to ask to speak with a manager.

Truly, I do wish they were more secure, but, we did all buy them with the existing tech.
Old 02-29-2024, 10:35 AM   #11
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
Sir, this is not a Range Rover.

GM vehicles have been easy to steal since the beginning of time, but if you think calling Customer Service today about it will change things, by all means, I wish you luck. I would, however, encourage you to ask to speak with a manager.

Truly, I do wish they were more secure, but, we did all buy them with the existing tech.
The only thing I’ll say is that it really should be next to impossible for amateur street thugs to steal ANY car made in the last 10 years. Whether it’s a $15,000 Kia or a $300,000 Rolls, technology should be so cheap and easily produced for any and every car manufactured today to be impossible to steal for anyone except highly skilled pros with lots of expensive, proprietary software on a laptop.

This ain’t the old days where all you needed to Hotwire a car was a flathead screwdriver and a pair of pliers.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 10:42 AM   #12
IMCWORTH

Drives: 2023 Camaro Convertible ZL1 A10
More Cars Stolen Means more car sales. This is a no brainer.
IMCWORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 10:55 AM   #13
Evergreen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
The only thing I’ll say is that it really should be next to impossible for amateur street thugs to steal ANY car made in the last 10 years. Whether it’s a $15,000 Kia or a $300,000 Rolls, technology should be so cheap and easily produced for any and every car manufactured today to be impossible to steal for anyone except highly skilled pros with lots of expensive, proprietary software on a laptop.

This ain’t the old days where all you needed to Hotwire a car was a flathead screwdriver and a pair of pliers.
I completely agree, and here we are.
Old 02-29-2024, 11:00 AM   #14
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenargo57 View Post
It has nothing to do with it. They're incredibly easy to steal and they part them out for a quick buck or destroy them in sideshows. Someone posted this in the LA subreddit the other day

No I don't think that's the case at all.

Part of the increase in car thefts comes from the overseas black market demand for these stolen cars.

So instead of making a "quick buck", car theives are selling the fully intact cars to a broker who ships them overseas.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote