Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-18-2019, 04:01 PM   #15
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
If I was to buy another SS that wasn't a particular color that was limited to certain years, I'd choose a '13. It has the FE4 suspension vs the FE3, MyLink and HUD is standard on 2LT and 2SS models, NPP and 1LE as an option, etc. All of the extra goodies with the final year for the better looking rear end, IMO.

As hill_billy said, a manual car is cheaper to do a cam swap. With a L99 (auto) you'll have to pull the heads to change the AFM/DOD lifters, which you will want to do in a cam swap. I did a full LS3 conversion when I did my cam swap and just drove it to PA from MO and back without issue.

You can't go wrong with whatever car you go with. The SS 5th gen Camaro is a very stout car and has a tremendous reliability track record overall.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:13 PM   #16
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
If I was to buy another SS that wasn't a particular color that was limited to certain years, I'd choose a '13. It has the FE4 suspension vs the FE3, MyLink and HUD is standard on 2LT and 2SS models, NPP and 1LE as an option, etc. All of the extra goodies with the final year for the better looking rear end, IMO.

As hill_billy said, a manual car is cheaper to do a cam swap. With a L99 (auto) you'll have to pull the heads to change the AFM/DOD lifters, which you will want to do in a cam swap. I did a full LS3 conversion when I did my cam swap and just drove it to PA from MO and back without issue.

You can't go wrong with whatever car you go with. The SS 5th gen Camaro is a very stout car and has a tremendous reliability track record overall.

Agreed.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:25 PM   #17
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post

I agree with you as well. I’ve had mine for close to 9 months now (only about 5,000 miles) and I’ve had a blast with this car. Like lots of others I’m partial to the early cars, (I do love the hood vent on the 14-15’s though) and if I too hadn’t been after an abm car, i would have gone for a 13. I actually looked at and was tempted by a few 13’s while I was waiting for the right abm. You can’t go wrong with a gen 5 in any form especially in an SS.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:10 PM   #18
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Why mess around with an 5th gen SS only to get smoked by a bone stock 6th gen V8. I'd save a few pennies more and get the ZL1.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:30 PM   #19
HOJO

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE 1967 Camaro
Come you guys, we all know the 14/15 models are the most sought after. Why kid yourself? And that chrome on the grill is actually 100% US stainless steel. It’s like getting a grill for your teeth. I’m trying to stir the pot, can you tell? Lol
HOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:35 PM   #20
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 152LTRockin View Post
I agree except for the cheapo plastic hood ornament. Crapiest thing I ever seen on a GM hood! If they would have made it out of aluminum or even pot metal it would be cool. But thin cheap plastic??????????????
Aren't you the guy who posted a pic of himself wearing knee high white socks and velcro shoes? Yea, you're not allowed to have an opinion on style.
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:01 PM   #21
67ss406

Drives: 1967 Camaro, 1999 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Why mess around with an 5th gen SS only to get smoked by a bone stock 6th gen V8. I'd save a few pennies more and get the ZL1.
I'm not a fan of the 6th gen's styling. I'll be able to accomplish my goals with the SS and be happy.
67ss406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:17 PM   #22
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ss406 View Post
I'm not a fan of the 6th gen's styling. I'll be able to accomplish my goals with the SS and be happy.
I sat in one at the dealer.

Then I added headers and a tune to my 5th.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:58 PM   #23
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Drives: 15 2lt RS Top Gun Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rod View Post
Aren't you the guy who posted a pic of himself wearing knee high white socks and velcro shoes? Yea, you're not allowed to have an opinion on style.
No that was your mother, remember when you do crack things twist around in your mind.
152LTRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:58 PM   #24
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Just sold my 13 1LE. It’s a hell of a car. You can’t go wrong.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:26 AM   #25
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I have an RJT 2010 low mileage (23,XXX) 2SS/RS you might be interested in... Garage kept...

Only the second pair of tires on the front, and about pair 23 or 24 on the rears... Damned stout SS...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:25 AM   #26
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 152LTRockin View Post
No that was your mother, remember when you do crack things twist around in your mind.
If my mom was this ugly, I'm pretty sure I never would've been created. Speaking of mom's, did yours buy you those shoes so she didn't have to keep running down to the basement to tie them for you?

J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:30 AM   #27
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
I sat in one at the dealer.

Then I added headers and a tune to my 5th.
Good choice!! I drove 2 6th gen SS cars and while they're nice, I'm not kicking my 5th gen out of the garage for one. Maybe to add along side of my 5th gen, but not to kick it out. Those 50th anniversary cars looked pretty slick, IMO.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:47 AM   #28
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
There you are talking about what's fast again. With you driving your car you get smoked by every current Camaro out there. So stop giving advice on what's fast...it sure as hell isn't you.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote